don't click here

Music Remastered

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Athelstone, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    I agree. Well, sort of. I think it's actually a little too loud and lively. I think I would be distracted if I were playing with this in the background.

About the Death Egg Zone music, I always thought it was a shame that the place where it plays is so short that unless the player stands around to listen to it, it never gets heard. I think the approach to the final bosses should be extended to easily suck up 50 seconds of time (with a checkpoint right before the boss, obviously). As long as it's not just running down a hall. Maybe borrow a section of the Death Egg from Sonic & Knuckles.

2. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    So you think we should add some stuff to make it more of a stage and not just a boss rush? It'd most likely be an optional thing, but that would be interesting to consider.

3. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

Nothing that could kill you, though. Just to add a little extra build-up, and mostly to give the song more exposure.

4. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    So we should just throw in a bunch of speed boosters and a ton of loops and stuff, eh? :P

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    What I personally am looking for is also more than just a faithful remaster. Here's a couple examples of pieces I believe went above and beyond and will definitely be getting my vote for inclusion as the main music for their respective zones:

Mesmonium's OOZ
    Ransom Rath's MZ

As for the DEZ remaster, there's no doubt in my mind it's faithful. But yes, faithful to the point that I have a seriously hard time telling any substantial difference from the original track. Here's a couple pieces that were created last year that I believe were on the right track:

Blast Processing's DEZ
    Cinossu's DEZ

Blast Processing's in particular has a ton of atmosphere that I love. That extra bit of creativity makes all the difference.

6. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
  7. DistroyA

DistroyA

I WOD LICK A SONIC 2 ROMS Member
    Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    THAT is a remaster, and NOT a remix. And it kicks serious ass. That's a perfect example of what I was talking about with the music; staying with the original song structure, but ENHANCING the sound of the instruments, instead of making it sound identical to the original, bar the percussion being enhanced.

You all want this game to be Sonic 2 but better looking and sounding, and you're somewhat getting the looks down. The sound is something that needs attention paying to it. I'd seriously take that MZ remaster as a good example to follow. That doesn't necessarily mean make heavy metal versions of every song. It just means making the instruments sound better rather than restricting people to using the chip music instruments. Another example to follow to back me up is that CNZ remaster that was posted a few comments ago. That really has the feel of the zone and tune nailed.

EDIT:

Also, steveswede, that boss tune IS a remaster, unlike the HTZ tune (Of which sounds like a copypasta...). The only thing I personally thought was bad about it was the fact that the drums were far too harsh. Quieten them down a little, and you've nailed it. Plus you made the percussion sound very militaristic with the instruments you chose. Like I said, lower the volume on the percussion slightly, and you'll have it perfected. :)

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Yeah, that's nice! :)

The best example of the quality aimed for S2HD is without any doubt by our very Music Coordinator ScubaSteve's work.
    His work is not only an entirely fresh new arrangement of our beloved melodies, but it keeps them feeling awesomely original!

Said this, as we do intend to make available custom soundtracks as an Extra goal, feel free to make your own version of the music as it there will be a good chance to play with that! ;)

9. DistroyA

DistroyA

Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    If I were to contribute music to this project, I'd need the following;

- A extra instrument that isn't a guitar (I don't like the idea of being a one trick pony...)
    - Skill to play the instruments
    and finally
    - The ability to learn a song fast without the need for tablature.

I may sound like I'm coming off either hypocritical or backing away from putting my money where my mouth is, but here's the thing; my ears are my best tools, and listening to the WIPs that a re linked here can help me help you lot improve.

Hence my advice. But, if you all really want to, you can just ignore it and just accept only tunes that sound practically identical to the original.

As for the custom soundtrack thing; that's NOT what I'm talking about. Nor am I talking about remixes. It seems there are a fair few people on here that can instantly misinterpret constructive criticism and suggestions, so I think I'm gonna go back on myself and tell it as I see it;

The HTZ "remaster" sounds practically identical to the original chiptune, thus removing it from the section known as Remasters.

The CNZ file that was uploaded recently IS a remaster.

Here's an example of what we call a remix.

Does this clear things up any better? If so, good. If not, I may as well talk to a brick wall...

10. back on the subject of the "atmospheric DEZ" idea, something to followup that trainwreck of a previous submission.

http://www.fileden.com/files/2008/4/20/187...0Egg%20Zone.mp3

seeing as no action or anything happens in DEZ until you meet the bosses and the music changes, atmosphere is turned up to 11 to give the best idea of a cold, mechanical moon space station.

11. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    I think that's a really cool idea especially with one of my ideas for the stage. Since RedStripedShoes mentioned it earlier, I've been thinking about what we could do with the stage to make it more interesting. What I came up with would be to have everything go the same until you beat metal sonic. After you do that, you can see Robotnik running off and then the lights die and you hear some mechanical noises and stuff in the distance. Then you would have to run down a long dimly lit corridor while you hear some occasional sounds, not sure what yet. Not sure on what to do with the final boss and how it would present itself yet, though.

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

[​IMG]

13. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Id actually like to see that in the game. That track sounds VERY spacey.

14. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

S2HD Staff - Badnik Artist Member
    I love it. But that's just me.

15. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Very nice job Blast. The melody is definitely second to the atmosphere you were looking to create in that version, and it succeeded very well.

For those of you wondering what we're after (and if my examples weren't obvious enough), that's the kind of remaster we're after. Faithful is good, but S2HD needs to impress. That can't happen without music of this caliber.

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Very "Neat" ambience there! ;)

Don't forget to provide the proper .OGG remastering, as this one have access to the database immediately!

17. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    I just hope it doesn't go down the path of the Street Fighter 2 HD music. I felt that they lost the spirit of almost every track with the way they did the remakes.

18. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    WOW

anybody else think this is perfect?

19. trying to do somthing with the Mega Drive's FM music is a bit different then taking songs that already had somewhat of a style (sampled music on the CPS2 arcade machine) and shoehorning completely different styles in from old tracks or making new tracks which still don't sound a thing like the originals, nor fit the game as fighting music. But that's OC Remix for you.

20. DistroyA

DistroyA

Nottinghamshire, UK
    My own artwork
    I don't think it's perfect. But I think it's pretty fucking good.

This sounds more like a remix to me. Reason? It's missing one vital piece of the puzzle; percussion.

Otherwise, it's damn good, and sounds VERY foreboding. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.