don't click here

Sonic Blast/G Sonic Appreciation Topic

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by True Dude, Jun 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. When my older brother first got into downloading emulators and ROMs, one of the first things he downloaded (besides Sonic 2 Beta and Crackers) was a complete set of almost every Sonic game gear game. When I got around to playing them eventually (when he wasn't using the computer) I found out many things, such as Sonic Labyrinth sucked, the Drift games weren't my type of games, (although I did, and still do, enjoy them) and Sonic Blast was awesome. The game may have used some of the crappiest CG graphics, especially since it was on an 8-bit system, but the levels are gimmicky, the bosses are creative, the ability to play as Sonic and Knuckles, and long, challenging levels make this one of my favorite, if not my favorite Game Gear/Master System game.

But it seems just about everyone else does not share my opinion and hate upon it a lot. I mean, this game was made by the same people who made Sonic 2 8-bit, Chaos, Triple Trouble, and Tails Adventures. How many of you out there actually enjoyed this game too?

2. I found it fun. I bought the SMS cart as soon as it came out here in Brazil, and have played the whole game a few times. The levels are quite enjoyable. When I found out it was converted from a GG game, I downloaded it and realized why much of the game was weird on the SMS. I mean, everything but actual gameplay occupied only the center of the screen, clouds near waterfalls had their colors cycled, bosses were redrawn onscreen...

I don't think those problems take much away from the whole experience though, the game is still fun. I tried playing the GG version, if not just to experience the game without as many graphical glitches, but I got spoiled by the larger SMS screen, and can't seem to play it on a small screen for long.

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I've always had mixed feelings about this game. Graphically, it's one of the comparitively better looking 8-bit Sonic games that were released in the 90s; on the other hand, the physics, engine, and general design of the levels felt pretty lacking compared to the other 8-bit Sonic releases. It was fun from an objective standpoint, I suppose—it had a full set of levels, it was unique content, and you could even play as Knuckles—but it's certainly not in my top 10 Sonic games list!

Ultimately, I felt like Sonic Blast was just an... okay sort of game. Nothing special, but also nothing horrible. I guess that's the kind of reputation it was designed to live up to.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    This game was actually one of my guilty pleasures, the graphics aren't too bad, especially the Bosses. The only thing that puts me off this game is the controls. :(

5. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    I don't think Sonic Blast is really suited to Game Gear hardware. It's a better game than the Sonic Drift games and Sonic Labyrinth, but it looks as if Sega said "hey lets prove you can do pre-rendered graphics on the Game Gear" in some crazy attempt to prove that you didn't need a Super Nintendo to get graphics like in Donkey Kong Country. Except the experiment largely failed.

In many ways I think it works better with the SMS resolution because the sprites are a bit big, but really it shouldn't have been made for 8-bit hardware at all. I can't see any benefits of them releasing it on the Game Gear in that state - even the box art is a bit unappealing. Just feels like a cheap cash-in to the world of 3D.

Gameplay wise it's reasonable but all the Game Gear Sonic platformers were behind the MegaDrive titles and this is no exception. Plus its music isn't exactly stunning so it's not winning in that regard either. Though it's hard to say "this is a bad game" after having played much worse, it's not brilliant.

6. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I never really hated it that much, but it did lack the charm that the previous titles had, in my opinion, in their graphics. I also didn't like DKC's graphics very much either. They're pretty all things considered, yes, but they don't have character on the same level as Super Mario World.

The other issue is that the stopping distance in this game was pretty bad as well; one thing most of the poorly-regarded Sonic titles all have in common is poor deceleration; this includes Labyrinth, which was designed to have Sonic run through the levels dashing uncontrollably most of the time in order to keep any decent speed. Improving that traction would make the controls significantly more manageable.

Music was good, level layouts were pretty nice as well; the character selection and level types make it the closest that the 8-bit series gets to Sonic and Knuckles, of all things (whereas Sonic Triple Trouble is a dead ringer for Sonic 3, of course). The special stages were kinda hellacious though, since you only had one shot to get each one, and the last couple were very unforgiving. I liked the bosses though. Facing up against Robotnik all the time was nice.

7. The Game Collector

The Game Collector

Washington State, USA
    Being Ted Narcotic's bass player; working on Kelly Kristjanson's tape archive; collecting video games
    My grandpa bought it for me since I had a Game Gear alongside my Game Boy as a kid. It was used and didn't cost a lot for the cart only when the store was called FuncoLand. I saw the game as a fun complimentary game to Sonic & Knuckles for Genesis as those are the characters you get.

The 2nd water level used to annoy me, but after memorizing the pipes you need to go through it gets easier. Not as frustrating as the Sonic 2 GG pipes in Scrambled Egg Zone where I had to keep pausing and unpausing to pick the right paths.

On actual Game Gear hardware I though the graphics looked quite a bit better. It only really seems ugly when you blow it up on a TV screen.

8. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

I really like Sonic 3D, but not because of Sonic's gameplay. There isn't much of that in that regard, there's hardly any platforming. I did like the music and the colours, the gimmicks but there wasn't much to do around. The hardest level was Volcano Valley (in m opinion) and from then on, easy.

I can't but love the special stage of the Saturn version though. <3

9. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    :D Sonic 3D Blast Saturn Special stages are the most awesome special stages ever

10. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    You guys are thinking of the wrong game though. :P

11. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    This game is very mediocre. Graphics are good for the platform, the levels are decently designed, all that, but the physics are way too off for me to be able to appreciate it. (Also, the special stages were possibly the most generic in any Sonic ever released.)

12. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    The first boss was homage to Opa-Opa and therefore Fantasy Zone.

I found the good bit.

13. British Gaijin

British Gaijin

Go play Nier. Member
    Great Britain, UK
    The EscapeRoute Show
    I remember that when I played this on an emulator on PSP, I thoroughly enjoyed it. As soon as I handed the PSP to one of my good friends, he proceeded to get Knuckles caught in the ceiling within about ten seconds. Let's just say he wasn't as impressed with the game as I am.
    Special stages of G Sonic were bloody weird. You can tell what Mega Drive game they were inspired by, that's for sure.

14. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Everyone assumes Sonic Blast is a response to Donkey Kong Country on the SNES

but I always assumed it was more a response to Donkey Kong Land on the Gameboy, which did pre-rendered 3D sprites with great success.

As for the game... it's basically a very poor port of Sonic & Knuckles. It is what it is, I guess. I never really liked it, but I own two copies of it (SMS and game gear) so... yeah.

15. Wasphammer

Wasphammer

I played it for the GG (because Sega doesn't know how to bring SMS emulation to the PS2) and honestly, it seems like a holdover from the 1980s. Secondly, the special stages are some sort of shitty mix between Sonic 3D and Sonic 3. Then there is the whole resolution issue. I would prefer to play Knuckles in Sonic Triple Trouble rather than Sonic Blast.

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I...actually rather liked the special stages, though I think they could have afforded to make them a little more forgiving. Probably the hardest game to get all the emeralds in of all the Sonic titles, period.

17. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    I love that game on all aspects, and the special stages were too easy IMO... I love the music though :)

18. CloverCC

CloverCC

Sonic blast. You know.. I don't mind the graphics at all. I really do not. Infact, the music box bridge in the first level was one of the most original implements in a sonic game I have seen since thin (However short it was), but one thing I do have a bone to pick is with the loops... It just seemed like a cheap excuse, because it's been perfectly executed in the previous gamegear titles.. In this one, it's just a half-assed walk to the top before you fall down on to a collapsing platform.. I've only made it to the sand level, because I really couldn't stand the gameplay of it.. I sort of see it as the Sonic 06 of the Gamegear/Master system consoles; Beautiful graphics, some interesting concepts, but a flawed game play, sluggish controls.. I still liked it, because I'm a sucker for sonic games, though. :p

19. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Did you forget Sonic 2 SMS/GG?

20. 0r4ng3

0r4ng3

To me, Sonic 2 tops it hands down, then Heroes. The Saturn is easy, the MegaDrive not so much, but affordable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.