don't click here

Who here started with Sonic 1, honestly.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Diablohead, Feb 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinksy

Spinksy

UK
    I do like Sonic 3D, just really wish they'd released Sonic X-treme for the Saturn! :(

2. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    First time I ever played a Genesis was after my dad won a Model 2 at a company raffle of some sort. First games I played (don't know which order, because I was too young) were Toejam and Earl in: Panic on Funkotron! and Road Rash II. That second one developed my love for high-speed gameplay of sorts, and when I was 5, my half brother, who's 9 years older than me, gave me Sonic 1. For the next three years I was a total fanboy. About a year and a half later, my neighbor (one of my mom's friends) gave me her copy of Sonic 2, since her husband was a huge Sonic fan (never knew until a year ago, strangely), and they had decided to throw out their Genesis. About that time, I was hugely obsessed with Sonic games, and my dad, being extremely nice, decided to get me every Sonic game he could find. The store that he got them from probably still sells Genesis games, in fact.

Yeah, so I started out waaay late, but I still started with the original. Not that I dislike the spindash (I kinda do, but it was made for the levels of the games it was in, and it's also great for the competition mode on the games that had it.)

3. Aerosol

Aerosol

Not here. Moderator
    Not where I want to be.
    Sonic (?): Coming summer of 2055...?
    I did. Used to watch my dad play. One time he paused to answer the phone. I unpaused like a bad child and played his game for him. Beat the level for him too. That was Green Hill Zone, and I was about 3 and half to 4 years old.

4. trakker

trakker

The guy that's been warned! Member
    I got my megadrive in about 94' not long before sonic 3, but it was preowned, it came with Sonic 1 and 2, and I played them up to Labarinth Zone and Wing Fortress respectivly

Because I was 8-9 and didnt have any real gaming co-ordination, being my first console

5. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    My first experience was in June of '93. I was at my cousins house in North Wales and he'd just got his Mega Drive model 1 with Sonic 1 and Road Rash 1. Needless to say I couldn't get that little blue bastard out of my mind, (or the Star Light music and drowning countdown)! Every time I was in a major town or city, I'd manage to track down a Boots which had a Mega Drive display with Sonic 1 to play on (yes, Boots had a rather cool sound and vision department back in the day). I clearly remember seeing Sonic merchandise everywhere, the guy was a freaking legend and I took whatever piece of the action my fucking parents would allow till they would get me a Mega Drive, be it biscuits, tins of spaghetti, Sonic corn snacks by Bensons Crisps (which were fucking delicious) and of course Sonic The Comic.

I hounded the living shit out of my parents for a Mega Drive every single day, but you know how it is as a child you have to be "patient and wait for Christmas". Of course, Christmas was over 6 months away, and 6 months is an eternity for an 8 year old boy, and the concept of patience is something you laughed in the face of.

Those 6 months were filled with impatience, but I filled the time nicely by reading Sonic annuals and comics, and reading Sega Magazines in the newsagents after school. I was positively alive with excitement and anticipation of having a genuine Sega/Sonic experience in my own home, to be enjoyed every day. This excitement was only ever rivaled by the night I lost my virginity (and she ended up being more of a pain than a pleasure). But apart from that, nothing ever came close, not even the excitement of buying my first BMW, nor the thoughts I have now of taking over the world!

Needless to say, Christmas Eve was a sleepless night while I waited for Santa to bring me my beloved fucking Sega. Then morning came...

I remember being dressed in red pajamas with a santa hat and tearing that bastard open! And there it was, a Mega Drive 2 with Sonic 2 and Mega Games 2. I impatiently waited for my dad to set the fucking thing up, and then I dived straight into Sonic 2. I was shit... really... really shit! I mean... really! But that didn't stop me having the time of my life! I remember as I went through the loop-de-loops I rotated the controller (thinking that would make a fucking difference), so in a way I came up with the idea for the Nintendo Wii.

Being an obsessive little shit, it was almost painful to see Sonic 2 under the television without Sonic 1 by its side. So I was itching badly to get out to the sales on Boxing Day to get myself a copy with my Christmas money. And in Littlewoods, we found a copy! And I can feel even now the excitement that pulsed in my chest, knowing it would be mine, which is why Sonic 1s box makes me happy just to look at it. Only problem was, not only was I was too small to fucking reach it, EVERYONE was. It was so high up it was ridiculous. Luckily though, my dad used a Christmas tree to knock it down. And there it was in my hands! Sonic smiling up at me (god damn he was cool), and pictures of all the exciting zones I was to explore. Jesus Christ, at that point I could only get to Chemical Plant 2 in Sonic 2, and here I was with yet another 6 zones to conquer! I was in heaven! It only cost bloody £17.99 which meant that I still had £12.01 left of my Christmas money... nice!

See, that's one thing I'm really going to miss about those early days. Being totally shit at Sonic, and seeing it as some big, epic quest, a seemingly impossible challenge to overcome.

*ahem* Anyway, in short Sonic 1 was the first I played, Sonic 2 was the first I owned. To this day they're still 2 of my favourite games. Fuck you Sega for not being able to top them!

Holy fuck mate, you were good! Getting that far was a pure fantasy for me back then.

6. Sparks

Sparks

Sondro Gomez / Kyle & Lucy
    I started with Sonic Advance 1, I think.

Thanks to the Gamecube, I could have Sonic 1-3K and Adventure at the same time. :specialed:

7. jasonchrist

jasonchrist

Give Us A Wank Banned
    Sonic Classic Hybrid Project
    You poor youth! You'll never know what it was truly like for us back in our day. :)

8. Jaseman

Jaseman

The programmer has a nap! Hold out! Programmer! Member
    I started with sonic 2 ... Back in 1998 :D. I didn't play Sonic 1 until I got Mega Collection plus in what must have been 2004. Maybe later? I didn't like it at the time; I still prefer Sonic 2 any day.

9. Slingerland

Slingerland

Oldbie
    Hechoeg Frat
    Sonic Mania
    This explains a lot.

10. Sparks

Sparks

Hello I am Sonic Mega Collection

What are you inferring? :rolleyes:

11. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    Hello I am Sega Mega Drive. If you ain't using a SMD controller plugged into a SMD, it ain't authentic. You'll never know what it was truly like for us back in our day.

12. Sparks

Sparks

Now come on, that's an opinion. One doesn't have to experience a good Sonic game a "specific" way in order to enjoy it. :v:

Besides, by the time I had a brain it was already 1995. Born 93 :(

13. DigitalDuck

DigitalDuck

Arriving four years late. Member
    Lincs, UK
    TurBoa, S1RL
    You don't have to experience it in a specific way to enjoy it, no. We were talking about playing it the way it was meant to be played - with an angular controller plugged into a dusty, bulky box, plugged into another dusty, bulky box.

Besides, I was born in '91, but that didn't mean I couldn't play it on a SMD connected to a CRT TV. You still have time.

14. Mercury

Mercury

His Name Is Sonic Tech Member
    Location Location
    AeStHete
    I have the vague memory of mentioning this before, but here goes...

My brother showed me Sonic 1 in 92-ish when I was about 5, so I go pretty far back. We proceeded to get every main sequence Sonic game pretty much in order after that (we may have gotten CD after 3, I don't properly recall).

I had similar experiences. Waiting for Sonic & Knuckles to arrive was excruciating. Also, being shit at the games and having to strive to reach the later levels; I remember Sonic CD being especially hard, and getting to each new Zone was a major event to be celebrated. Looking back, it's hard to imagine how someone could get a Game Over in any Sonic game, but I managed it on a regular basis as a child.

Also, mind = blown. I had no idea you invented the Nintendo Wii.

15. Quarterman

Quarterman

Just another day in paradise. Member
    My first Sonic experience was at my cousin's house in 1996 (or 97. I can't remember which). He had this bog ol' box of Genesis games, and I tried the lot, but the first game that caught my eye was a rather colorful cartridge starring a certain blue anthropomorphic hedgehog. I was hooked instantly, even though I couldn't get past Green Hill Zone (or more specifically, the boss). I was enthralled and became a huge fan of Sonic, reading the comics and watching the shows almost religiously. I first played Sonic 2 at the local Boys & girls club, and spent damn near a whole summer playing it. I started playing through all of the Sonic games I could get my hands on, and still have that Sonic obsession of my youth. Good memories.

16. Brad

Brad

yo Member
    UK
    Yes and no. The first game I ever played was Sonic the Hedgehog 1, but I never actually owned it. But I did get to play it like 3 times a week. Good memories. :')

17. Tichmall

Tichmall

J.League PK Party, a "penalty kick" minigame.
    The first Sonic game I got was Sonic 1... on the Master System, but not in the console (there was Alex Kidd). And I don't know how we did that but we lost the jacket. Not the box, only the jacket. Now that I think about it, I believe that game could go faster than the Megadrive version. But as I was 3 back then, it was really hard for me to beat the game so my mother was always doing the Labyrinth Zone because I was losing all my lives under water. :rolleyes:

I wonder if I have Sonic 1 MD in my collection, I never remember if I have it or if I played it at a friend's.

The game I played the most is Sonic 2 MD, every day I was beating Emerald Hill Zone before going to school. Yep, good memories indeed.

18. Roybertito

Roybertito

Still alive, apparently. Member
    In 1995, at 4, I had my first encounter with Sonic at a friends' house, playing the Not For Resale Sonic 1, along with Sonic 2. In 1996, at 5, I got a Genesis 2 with Altered Beast, Mickey's Castle of Illusion, and Sonic 1. The weak later I got Sonic 2 and 3 because I had beaten Sonic 1 five times in the week I had my Genesis (without Chaos Emeralds, albeit). The rest is history.

19. LockOnRommy11

LockOnRommy11

I started on Sonic 1 around the age of 2 or 3, fiddling with and watching my brother play on my uncle's Megadrive. We got the Sonic 2 Megadrive II pack afterwards, and from the earliest memories I also remember growing up with and playing Sonic 2. I was a '91 baby, so I don't remember Sonic when it was originally released, but I grew up with the games and also the cartoons and merchandise as soon as my brain was able to process 'em.

20. Hez

Hez

Oldbie
    am I the only one who actually played sonic 1 on release day?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.