don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    The first line is Sonic's position, XXXX and YYYY. You don't need to remove the zeros, you can keep them if you want (e.g. $0030 is the same as $30), just don't forget the dollar sign.
    The second line is the camera's position, XXXX and YYYY as well. You can ignore it for now.

2. Ok, thanks again.

3. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    Music hacking for S3K. Can it be done without using hex editors? Basically my hack idea won't do anything to change the game gameplay or graphics-wise - its only purpose is to replace and make new songs for the awful (imo) Act 2 "remixes" for Carnival Night and Launch Base, which are just Act 1's song with missing instruments. (Ice Cap sounds kinda that way too but I'd have to listen to it while not playing the game to actually tell if they didn't change anything else - it sounds a little more original than the other two.)

(I'd kinda also like to put the S3-only Knuckles and miniboss tunes back in Sonic 3K if possible.)

Hell, does S3K even have a disassembly? I assume it doesn't - I sure can't find it.

4. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    There is a Sonic & Knuckles disassembly, and you can use snkenjoi's build tools to create a hacked Sonic 3 & Knuckles rom. S3K hacking is a pain though and isn't recommended for beginners.
    As for music, remember that S3&K is different than Sonic 1's system. It *can* be done, but it can be troublesome. Check SCHG:Music Hacking for more information.

5. Eduardo Knuckles

Eduardo Knuckles

Not a loved one, but the most hated person. Banned
    Someplace somewhere
    Project S.A.M.G.
    Just yes. Music Pointer Fixer can do it for you needing just some steps.
    :colbert:

6. Harmony Friends

Harmony Friends

it's the whole gang Oldbie
    AHA! That's what I was looking for. Kudos.

7. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I've finally somewhat grasped how to import art into SonED2, and it comes out looking fine in the program, but when I start the rom...

[​IMG]

this happens.

I followed the guide in the how-to section and deleted all 8x8's, 16x16's, 128x128's, layout, objects and rings for EHZ, then imported the art which looks fine in SonED2, if it's important exactly how I got to this.

Hopefully someone notices something.

8. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    If it looks fine in SonED2, it's probably an issue with the built ROM, but there's not really much that could go wrong either way.. Are you sure that some of the data wasn't included to an odd address? The best way to make sure that doesn't happen is just to put an "even" directive right in front of every incbin/binclude, unless you're absolutely sure it isn't necessary (either the data is already positioned on an even address, or it's only ever read as bytes)

Have you made any other data or program changes? There's really nothing else that comes to mind at the moment

9. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I swear the only thing I've done is delete all 8x8's, 16x16's, 128x128's, layout, objects and rings, then after that deleted some remaining tiles that were still there for some reason. Besides that I entered my new art in and left it at that.

This is using the Sonic 2 (Split and Text by Xenowhirl) disassembly BTW.

10. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    If you want, you can PM me the data, or (preferably) the whole fileset. With the current information, I can't really imagine what it could be

That's not to discourage anyone else from trying to help out first, though. I'm not sure how quickly I can get back to you on this right now, depending on how complicated the issue is

11. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    This problem comes in two parts:

Firstly, you started drawing your level too far down; You're never able to get to it because the setting for the lower level boundary doesn't allow you to scroll down far enough. If you were able to, you'd see that the one chunk displays perfectly

Second, the garbage all throughout the rest of the level is most likely the result of using "Insert" instead of "Append" after you deleted all of the chunks, because the level is full of Chunk 3 (Chunk 3 doesn't actually exist, you only have 0, 1, and 2 defined). As a rule, don't delete Chunk 0, and don't use "insert" while hovering over chunk 0. When you insert any type of tile, it pushes each tile after and including the one you're hovering over forward by one entry, and any larger tiles or level areas that use the tiles that were moved get updated to reference them from their new position. That's the most likely reason that all the 0's in the level layout turned to 3's. The best thing to do, unless you're trying to order tiles by visual similarity or something, is to use append (ctrl+A) which will give you a new (blank, you won't actually see it until you fill it) tile at the end of the list without altering anything

Your best option, since you haven't really done much with it yet, would probably be to just delete \s2\level\layout\EHZ_1.bin so that when you load the project in SonED2 again, you'll start with a totally blank level. Or, while hovering over the chunk list in the tile editor, you could hold spacebar (which prevents tile/level updates during any of the list manipulation features) while pressing ctrl+A to add a chunk 3 without updating the level (which would cause it to start using chunk 4), select chunk 3 for editing and draw something to it so that you can see it, then manually draw 0 tiles over the level itself to get rid of it

12. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    Thanks a lot! I deleted the layout file and did append as you said instead and it seems to be working fine now.

I'll definitely keep all of what you said in mind now. I've been using ctrl+I constantly ever since I ever first started trying to use this program a couple years back. That may explain some problems heh

With that out of the way I may as well ask, is there a method people use to get the BG deformation in EHZ and any other levels to change? Maybe get one deformation method from level to another. ATM I'm trying to make art that's appropriate for EHZ, but it's a pain in the ass having to take into consideration all the different scrolling layers plus that weird stretching deformation with the flower meadow.

13. Emerald Spirit

Emerald Spirit

Newfound Potential Member
    [​IMG]

So you can't have horizontal spikes in EHZ? Or have I buggered something up?

14. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    You have to put the Spike's art into Vram using EHZ's PLC.

15. I'm back with another error, but this one...
    [​IMG] :psyduck:

I hacen't changed that area of the stage yet (Marble Garden Zone, Act 2) and when I get to here
    [​IMG]
    (The area in the red circle, anyway), I get the error shown above.
    Any ideas whats wrong?

16. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    The error most likely is due to your coding. Check what gets effected there code wise.

17. Huh?

I've tried moving everything thats in that entire column (since it also happens when I tried to pass it with debug mode), and nothing changed.

18. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    Have you edited the code at all in your hack before, and if so have you edited anything that could effect marble zone?

19. By code, do you mean anything like HEX or ASM? If so, then no. But now that I think about it... I did try and replace one of the files in Sound... Not sure how that would effect anything, since the invincibility music was put back to normal after it didn't work (I have no idea how to change music in my game yet :flunked: )

20. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Its also possible you are using an invalid Object ID in there somewhere.... Though it doesnt look like you changed anything in the layout...