don't click here

General Project Screenshot/Video Thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, Jun 26, 2008.

1. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    Teleport? =P Is the monitor from one of the SMS/GG games? I haven't played any of them in forever and that's what it reminds me of.

2. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    (I think he's just using the monitor to stand on to show off the new background.)

New art there looks neat. :)

3. Malevolence

Malevolence

Tech Member
    Edit: Rika's very sneaky >_> Also look at the screen coordinates in the top left corner!

4. Opinions on pallete:

[​IMG]

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Why can everyone make such good palettes and I can't? D:

6. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Same reason I suck at backgrounds and sprites compared to everyone, Nineko =P

I like this a lot, but the rock doesn't seem to fit with rest of it, since most of the earth and even the trees are purple. Could you mock up a shot with a purple rock and see whether that looks better?

Also, I love how the modern hacks are branching out into the pastels with their level palettes =P

7. I used a different purple than the other color, it looks much nicer now:

[​IMG]

Also, I tried out MZ, but with less stellar results:

[​IMG]

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Yet that MZ looks good too.

9. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
    I'm making a little request:
    I'd like somebody to make a hack of Sonic3 & Knuckles with the minor boss theme from Sonic 3 used for the minor bosses from:
    - Angel Island
    - Marble Garden
    - Carnival Night
    - Launch Base
    - Mushroom Hill

I don't think it's something particularly hard to do but I'd be very thankful :)

10. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    This isn't /r/. Find out how to do it on your own. I suggest Music Pointer Fixer and the guides on the wiki as a good place to start.

11. This zone turned out quite nicely I think:

[​IMG]

12. Telstar

Telstar

CA, USA
    Sonic 2 Resomething
    It looks great! Though the vines need some work, and the crystal looks too dark underwater.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I don't see anything.

14. Verse

Verse

Posts once a year. Oldbie
    Pomona, CA , USA
    Freedom Planet Soundtrack

I really like that. I recovered my password and account just to say that.

15. This looks great, I just think you need a bit more contrast on the grass. The lightest shade is too close to the darkest shade so it looks kinda faint.

This needs more work. The sky is too saturated, and the blue pillars don't fit. Try giving them some red/brown (but not making them entirely red/brown). Since they appear to have a reflective surface, I think they should be reflecting some of the colors of the surroundings, which are now mostly red/brown.

16. Armada

Armada

Sometimes I do things Member
    This is because I modified a .htaccess file in the directory, I'm changing it now.

17. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    For what its worth, I disagree. This advice would result in a level that is more or less entirely brown. I don't deny that the pallete would benefit from more work, but your suggestions don't seem likely to improve things.

Frankly, I think that you can spend too much time messing with a pallete anyway - it works as a work-in-progress - you are more likely to benefit from working on other things. You can have the best pallete in the world, I'm still never playing Marble Zone again.

18. Although the pallete needs work, the background is the thing I'm going to be changing. Rather than what it is, I'm going to have an entire ocean of lava (hence the new name: Lava Ocean Zone) as well as a dark sky similar to what is being used.

Similar treatments will happen to GHZ and LZ. The other three will be replaced entirely.

19. Watkins

Watkins

Ooh, interesting. Are you going to go for a "Volcano Valley Zone" sort of look, with the new background? Regardless, it sounds like it'll come out looking fairly interesting.

20. Updated pallete:

[​IMG]

Also, this will be the last thing I post in this topic - after all, it's a "General Project Screenshot/Video Thread", not "True Dudes Hack Thread".