don't click here

In Soviet Russia...

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Spanner, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Some of you might remember a hack by a Russian guy called hbrd, Sonic Night Edition. A few hacks by the Russian Sonic Community apparently have a thing with using content from other hacks.
    Well, it's happened again! Presenting, Sonic High Force!
    Most of the text in this hack is in Russian, however if you go into the sound test, you'll notice a few familar songs from SoniNeko.
    If you don't know what I mean, check out $86, $8C and $91.
    Thanks to D.A Garden for finding this on #retro:
    Code (Text):
    1. <DAGarden> Random hack I found on Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXoKP2ioGd8 (I believe the music for the boss has been taken from someone elses work, but I'm unsure. Your call)
    Oh and Puto told me to post this so cocks.

2. NoNameAtAll

NoNameAtAll

MY HAT'S ON FIRE. HALP! Moderator
    Probably happened because they couldn't hack the most recent version of Megamix on the Sega CD. :v:

In all seriousness though, that's...quite lame, I must say. If one must hack a hack, at least keep it to yourself rather than try and claim it all as your own. A matter of principles, probably discussed before, but that's my view.

3. Estlib

Estlib

Heh. When I clicked on this topic I expected something like this: "In soviet russia, the hack hacks you!" :v:
    But yeah, once I downloaded a folder full of their crap to see what else horrendous mizery they brought upon the world. It aint pretty. They were mostly sonic games screwed up in a way beyond imagination. I even made an account there despite the fact that I don't know russian. Think I should go back and start trolling them?

Edit: I didnt look at the end of the title. my bad :D

4. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    This Sonic hack is pretty bland, except for the music ports, some of which seem straight from sonineko.
    I don't like the level layouts at all, and why the writings are all in cyrillic?

That said there's not much you can do. Probably it's just a guy who wants to show off his "hack", which he should have kept to himself.
    There are actually a lot like this; it's just that most never see the light of day. I do not really condone his music ripping from another hack, but I do not condemn it either, after all it's what everyone does as well (we could say the same of sega and we rip their graphics out)

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Матушка Русь!

So, the Russians have good taste in music. What surprises me is that apparently they could find the songs in version 1.1.1 of my hack, which has data scrambled all over the rom to prevent this, but it seems it wasn't enough.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It's Russia. They hack way more complex things and you're surprised about this happening...

7. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    [​IMG]

8. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
  9. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
  10. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I've got to make the obvious argument here...

If hacking a hack is something to be frowned upon, then hacking in general is something to be frowned upon. I mean, obviously they should provide credit to the original hackers, but seriously... it isn't like anyone here ever asked SEGA's permission before hacking their material.

So yeah, this right here (hacking a hack without crediting the original hack) is more than a touch dickish, but don't go out against hacking hacks. It's hypocritical.

11. Telstar

Telstar

CA, USA
    Sonic 2 Resomething
    It's not just that, they're selling it for profit.
    Edit: Whoops, got my threads mixed up. Oh well...

12. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    That was the case of Megamix. I don't recall anybody here mentioning that High Force is being sold.

13. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    I'm 100% with DimensionWarped on this one. It's seems a bit embarrassing to see all these hacks(including a couple very notable ones) directly taking content from other Sonic games on this site, only then for the people who made them to hark back at other people who rip off their own hacks. I can understand maybe if you made some unique art that's 100% original and is yours, now that would get me sort of annoyed. But you're releasing it for free anyway so there's not much more to accomplish there, unless you're planning to take it to court( :v: ), and make back the money that they cheated you out of by stealing your copyrighted work. Oh wait, ya, no one here has any rights to anything they make... :p

I can only hope if I release a hack sometime it will be on the streets of China or something. That'd amuse me to no end and I could give less of a damn as none of it will ever be original content to begin with, especially the whole copyrighted work I'm erasing over with my ripped data.

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I was thinking on this earlier as well, though I'm not sure if I had seen this topic at the time.

I suppose the main difference is more that people don't usually, say, take levels from Sonic 3, port them into Sonic 2, claim it as their own, and call it a day the way someone would take content from a hack that was maybe not as well known, not change much to it, and take credit for it like that, letting people think they made all the resources.

Still, were I to make a hack and someone decided to use level art I had created for designing a new level, I would not complain and I don't think I'd have any real ground to stand on were I to do so.

15. jman2050

jman2050

Teh Sonik Haker Tech Member
    Is it really so difficult to respect the wishes of other people in the community?

16. GasparXR

GasparXR

I'm back! Member
    No it's not, so they shouldn't be stealing it in the first place. =P

I mean, we take music and art and levels from other Sonic games and smash it into Sonic 1, but we don't claim it as our own, it's for technical appeal and research in some cases.

17. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    From what I know, their community isn't ours; after all, what prevents someone from stealing music from a Russian hack or something? Will anyone care? Only if it's found out, it seems. And, a hack from there with music worth stealing would be like... well I dunno.

18. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Because s/he doesn't know English or didn't expect the hack to be found and played by non-Russian speakers?

19. Shibunoa

Shibunoa

Banned
    Italy
    except that to translate that in russian you need to know english at least rudimentally.

20. Rush

Rush

break the madness Member
    Why, I'm not even slightly surpised. Also, looking for buying this Sonic Megamix cartridge to test it out. I'm sure our 'pirates' would translate it to russian.

btw, anything you want me to translate from that board - shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.