don't click here

Sonic 2 Promo Tape on the Bay

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Albatross, Jun 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albatross

Albatross

^Forced Memes Ahoy^ Member
    Spelunking in the proverbial belly of the ASM beast.
    So I was doing my usual skimming of Ebay to grab rare games from suckers who don't know what they're selling, when I came across this:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-Mega-CD-Sonic-2-promo-VHS-video-tapes-RETRO_W0QQitemZ330339530685QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_VideoGames_Merchandise_RL?hash=item4ce9c537bd&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12|66%3A2|39%3A1|72%3A1234|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A1|294%3A50" target="_blank">http://cgi.ebay.com/SEGA-Mega-CD-Sonic-2-p...93%3A1|294%3A50</a>

The Sonic tape apparently came with a Sega magazine, so it probably doesn't have any new info on it someone hasn't scoped out already. I thought I'd put this up anyway in case anyone hasn't seen it before.

2. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Preview tapes, I haven't seen those for ages. Now that's nostalgia. :psyduck:

I would be interested to find out what levels are on that Sonic tape, especially what beta they are based on (maybe use footage from the Nick Arcade segment).

3. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Please do not place bids on this item—I'm trying to negotiate with the owner, and obviously release the contents for the community (I'm sure X-CulT would be interested in the other preview footage in any case :P)

4. Infiniti

Infiniti

↑ & ↓ & ↻ Member
    UK
    Don't get your hopes up too much, it does not contain anything new, that we have not already seen.

Now, I'm going PURELY on what I can recall, so some of it may be wrong. The tape came with either the first or second issue of Mean Machines SEGA (MM had split into two formats around September 92. Mean Machines SEGA and Nintendo Magazine System IIRC)

The tape starts off With the title screen music, and the caption 'Sonic's back....And this time, he's brought a friend' then you get 2-3 seconds of the beta title screen. Emerald Hill Act's 1 & 2 are now played (minus the title card). Once Sonic gets to the boss the tape moves on to show footage of Greendog World of Illusion and several others before returning to Sonic 2. Chemical Plant Act's 1 & 2 are played (again with missing title cards) and no boss fight in act 2, just a sign post (like in act 1). Then It moves onto about 1 minuite of gameplay from Hilltop Act 1. IIRC (again) the player glitched through the wall and fall into the lava below, and died. Thus ending the Sonic 2 footage....

5. Albatross

Albatross

Hmm, I wasn't really expecting anything anyone hasn't seen before, considering this must have came with every copy of that magazine. Hey, it doesn't hurt to try though. Thanks for the details.

6. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Well, it's an old tape so probably nobody actually paid attention to the differences =P For instance, see that advertisement where Sonic 2 is used for everything except for playing? The footage it shows of Chemical Plant zone has the prototype loops.

7. drx

drx

mfw Researcher
    :rolleyes:
    Uh this is ripped.

8. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Seriously, it is? I don't ever remember seeing it. :V

9. Insert Coin(s)

Insert Coin(s)

Broletariat Member
    ???
    IT
    It's times like these I wish I had an PAL/whatever VCR.

I like the boxart for the Sega-CD one.

10. Albatross

Albatross

Dun dun dun.

Like I said, probably isn't anything new. Thanks for the confirmation, drx, you just saved SS and dollar and 61 cents. :v:

Would like to see that Mega CD one, though.

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I own the one on the right side, and I think it's somewhere around in the loft along with a lot of other tapes, no idea.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.