don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    [​IMG]

This is a new version, even more details, and some other fixes, like what Vinc said, however, the highlight in the front part should stay there, It looks good to me, also, remember why I quoted lost, remember the metallic shades I talk about every day xD... so, actually I looks pretty boring without some nice shades

Aaaaaaaaaaaand, for comparisons, in 4x size (aprox, not exactly, maybe is a millimeter off, just like that)...

[​IMG]

:v: don't look at that showoff smoke xD... by the way, Vinc, I have some problem with the size, I cannot resize that eggomatic from an A4 size at 300dpi, to 240 x 320 aprox...first because the shades will shit the fuck out xD... and second because...its not a vector file, Im using raster to make that possible, manual shading after all, you know..the same thing I did to...you know what :P

...Well, and about the seat...fixed some shits and...look guys, we are not gonna see the seat anyway...

2. AiS!ck

AiS!ck

US
    I'm working with Azukara on Sonic Freerunner
    Great job with the shading! I really like the details you added!

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Per la miseria! :D
    Can't put my eyes down the smoke coming out the EGG-Mobile! The concept is so great!

About the fixes you've done, especially the central shade now fading out correctly and the several small details.. Well they're awesome.
    Don't bother fixing the chair as it will never be shown, put instead a very nice accuracy on exporting it to the correct size!
    Due raster nature I know we have antialias (and shades!) problems when exporting, but here I will help you! ;)

[​IMG]

-Export the Red part as separate with a fixed resize %
    -Export the Blue part as separate with a fixed resize %
    -Sandwich Eggman png inbetween them and here we go!

*I have little to no fixes to propose you now, dear EL, however please experiment it with smaller spotlights! :)
    If it will look that bad we can keep this one. ^^

@DragonsTrap

Good job dude!
    Getting the basics of Illustrator done is very important, as you won't need to learn much other to make your HD art!
    Don't be afraid of adding your own personal touches on your art, as long as they keep consistant with Uber style, and of course the original art concept! ;)

*I suggest you to create/adjust the art to at the exact 4X size on 100% zoom, else it will be hell exporting it laters!

4. Elratauru

Elratauru

Ok here is my final version I think, corrected shadows plus contrast to highlight metal shades.

Also, its the correct X4 Size, looks very nice to me...Also, added some shadows to eggman (just a little layer over the eggman sprite) to make it better.

[​IMG]

Mmm it seems small to me after doing this in a 6000 x 5000 pix size xDDD

PS, there are some little errors in that png, however the original file is ok, just a problem of highlights outside the shape.

5. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Fighting against the Unitary State of Europe
    The Eggomatic looks better than I ever imagined it. The colour on Robotnik head just looks too light. Or is just like that because it's on a black background. I hope all the metal look on the other things in the game look like this. I'm well pleased.

6. Elratauru

Elratauru

Well, Thank you, I'm glad someone like the things I did, well, about the Eggman head, well...that's just because of the background and because some little light over there... I have to fix some things before its ready...

About the other thing... oh god I would die doing every metal thing over the game hahaha... Well, metals and glossy things are my thing after all... so I suppose Im going to do some other metal objects like some badniks maybe... and if people really want, the other boss art too...

7. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    Yes if you could do the badniks like it as well it would go down like a treat.

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Now I so love it! ^^

Amazing Work El.
    I cannot spot anything more except these very small white pixels on the back! ;)

[​IMG]

And also this, gets marked as complete.

9. Sploit

Sploit

Wow this stuff is all really cool. I need to learn how to do sprites intead of just 3D models, shame the university I went to only cared about 3D shooters really, the course at times seemed a bit one sided. Still for our final year group project we went for a 3D platformer :D, and did quite well, shame it didn't get finished.

10. Elratauru

Elratauru

[​IMG]

...I just love it xD

That's the finished one, corrected every detail or pixel out there.

11. steveswede

steveswede

Ask my hand
    I can't stop looking at it LOL. I'm so looking forward to the add-ons for the eggomatic as they will just look amazing with this.

12. Elratauru

Elratauru

Well, you wont need to wait too long...

[​IMG]

Just a little preview of a WIP, Since EHZ boss is already being made (by another artist), Im doing the CPZ one... Im gonna add some other things there too...remember, just wip.

13. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Adding particles like smoke will be possible. I think it can even be looking better than that. But it is going to be a heavy discussion about it in the future.
    I would sure like to try it for the Alpha though, as long as the smoke looks Sonic-ish enough. Same goes for badnik and monitor explosions, where it would be nice to mix the explosion blending with regular smoke.
    Well, we'll deal with this later. Just because the concept looks good on mockups doesn't mean it looks good ingame.

Please all consider putting a pipe into everyone of Eggman's sprites (that means even his exploded black face), and have tiny clouds (particle coulds) of smoke coming (spawning) out of it regulary, HA! Wouldn't that be badass? He shouldn't be healty should he?
    I am just joking!

ROFLMAO

14. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

S2HD Staff - Badnik Artist Member
    The Egg-o-matic is wonderful, El.
    The details are totally the kind of thing that is going to make Sonic 2 HD brilliant.

15. Elratauru

Elratauru

[​IMG]

New wip, added some detail... well you know.

16. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Looks great so far.

17. Elratauru

Elratauru

[​IMG]

... actually finished...some fixes to do.

18. DragonsTrap

DragonsTrap

AP:100 DP:55 CP:56 Member
    Looks good, a few problems:

The lighting of the pump add-on isn't consistent with the egg. The top of the pipe and cylinder seem far too dark. Also, the bottom of the yellow strip beneath the glass should be darker considering the shading present on the bottom of the egg.

There are some perspective problems. The cylinder on the right has a downward curve on the top and an upward curve on the bottom, yet the panel where the pipe comes out curves down on the top and bottom. Also, the glass container is at the same line of sight, yet it appears completely flat for its perspective. I think the perspective should be so that everything is very close to horizontal with very little arching at all, as it is on the egg-o-matic.

The spacing positioning of the ridges on the long horizontal pipe are not consistent.

19. Love the wires, El, but don't forget the pipe that sucks up the "Mega Mack" (at least, that's what the US manual calls "the stuff").

20. Elratauru

Elratauru

CK said the same about the perspective, but the perspective is ok, the upward and downward curve is just part of the metal shape... I designed the pump different or else it will make it flat like shit... its not a cylinder, right now is a cylinder with even rounder edges.

We wanted the egg-o-matic to look fresh, new, I added detal, cuts and some things that weren't on the original...I edited some shapes even to look diferent.

Remember, we are drawing a world with furries, robots, grass looking checkered, and some other things... For a boss, that is going to be in a Zone with metallic objects and stuff, Its gonna look cool to me. Nobody is gonna even look at the perspective when Ingame after all...

I know xDD...but...
    [​IMG]

hahahaha

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.