don't click here

Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by The Prof, Mar 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lostgame

Lostgame

producer/turnablist. homebrew dev. cosplayer. Oldbie
    Toronto, ON
    The O.I.C.
    Maybe according to you, because you judge the hacks objectively, unlike most people.

Exactly what I was trying to say before.

It's unfortunate, but it happens too often.

You're obviously just trying to criticize what I was saying here for whatever reason, or you've never been to any fangame-related forums, because this is actually what made me stop making hacks, people complaining about the balance between classic sonic and new ideas that are too gimmicky. Perhaps I'm just not saying it in the exact way I mean it, and I wish I had the time right now to dig up some recent posts to prove what I mean, but I just don't. Maybe a little later.

2. The Prof

The Prof

The Island Professor Member
    Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    I'm still working on this and currently my main aim is to get that GHZ revamp done. I thought I may make it seem a bit like a sunny, yet isolated island (like I live on!) and figured that to get me in that mood, a new piece of music would be in order. It's Green Hills Zone, from Sonic 2 on Master System. C&CC, please.

WAV
    VGM

3. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    Can't we just have direct downloads for VGMs, on such sites as Fileden?

Also use OPTVGM

4. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Sure, I'll do that in future. Also, whilst I'm posting, a preview of the revamped GHZ art in progress.

[​IMG]

May as well post the MZ1 level map too because I accidentally posted it at the SSRG and don't think Retro should miss out.
    MZ Map

C&CC, please

5. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    That art, personally, is far too busy, especially with the black outlines on the detail. I would lighten up the entire wall and use a dark brown shade instead, but that's just me.

6. Naean

Naean

Naean H.F. (Nez Man) Member
    United Kingdom
    2D. Sonic Fan Game
    Regarding your conversations, I'd have to unreservedly agree with you Tweaker. I disagree with you, Lostgame. Strongly.

You don't need half the countries poulation's worth of coding changes to make a good modification of an original 16-bit game, hehe. I'm working on a mod' of Sonic The Hedgehog (The first one.). Currently, everything I have edited has been with palette and sprite editors. I have not edited a single line of hexadecimal data whatsoever. (I do have a hex' editor, mind.)

However, does that mean it is automatically bad, lacking-of, or bland? No, of course not! The same goes for this mod'. There's nothing wrong with what you'd consider 'generic'. The point is, someone is putting in their time to edit a game, and that should be respected, rather than grabbing an E. hammer and stomping it down into the ground over and over, complaining that this and that is not included. I'm not saying you're being nasty, Lostgame, but I am saying that a lot of what you've said is very inaccurate, I.M.O..

Phew. That said, this is a great hack and I hope to see it grow! Good job so far!

7. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Copypaste from SSRG:

OK, here's the deal. In my opinion my level art isn't worth the effort and is usually very trial and error (I just choose a tile and randomly put in lines). It's also not that original. So I've decided that I'm going to let one person join Yarmar Team as a level artist. The only requirements are that you are committed and reasonably good at level art. If interested, send a PM or leave a reply.

8. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Sorry to double post, but I think this warrants it. There is new music for SBZ: Ken Masters' Theme from SSF2. Thanks to Robert Hansson for the original midi. I think it turned out well, although there are some problems with the lead.
    VGZ
    WAV

By the way, my request for an artist is still open, so if you want to lend a hand then just drop me a PM.

9. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Okay, sorry to bump and triple post, but it's release time! Here are the changes since the last version.

New GHZ art
    Tweaked GHZ layout
    New GHZ music
    New GHZ palette
    GHZ is now called Grassy Garden
    New MZ art
    Tweaked MZ1 layout
    MZ2 layout completed
    New SBZ music
    Fixed some tile related bugs
    Probably a few other minor things

[​IMG]

And, of course, the ROM download.

Link

C&CC please.

10. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    Very nice :D

just one thing I noticed is that spin dashing down one of the tubes in GHZ can kill you, I think there is a fix for that in the S1 spindash guide.

11. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Not too shabby! I felt like the all of the layouts in the first zone were extremely similar at times, reusing the same elements in a different order, but I enjoyed myself. Comparitively speaking, they aren't spectacular, but it was a nice little hack to play through in a few minutes. Well done. :)

I also feel your music ports—while not too shabby in the slightest—could use some work; for example, putting the bassline of Green Hills Zone on the PSG isn't a good way to add spacial depth to a song, and I don't understand why you panned the lead to the right, either. I also think you could explore a better choice in voices—basses for basses, chords for chords, and leads for leads. Using lead voices for basses or anything that isn't a lead is bound to have unfavorable results.

Keep it up, though! I'm sure your skills will improve with time. ;)

12. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    That one has since been fixed. It was to do with the dynamic screen resizing which I've pretty much figured out. Yay for developing ASM skills.

<!--quoteo(post=0:date=Jul 13 2009, 1:17 PM:name=Tweaker)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tweaker @ Jul 13 2009, 1:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I also feel your music ports—while not too shabby in the slightest—could use some work; for example, putting the bassline of Green Hills Zone on the PSG isn't a good way to add spacial depth to a song, and I don't understand why you panned the lead to the right, either. I also think you could explore a better choice in voices—basses for basses, chords for chords, and leads for leads. Using lead voices for basses or anything that isn't a lead is bound to have unfavorable results.[/QUOTE]

Would this be any better?
    WAV
    VGZ

It has some problems with the lead cutting out if you destroy an enemy, break a monitor or pass a checkpoint which is why I changed the original.

13. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I like the new layouts (in V1.8b) though when you break a speed shoes monitor in the first zone, the music doesn't sound too brilliant, it's like dragonforce's bad parts =P
    I'm looking forward to the next release, though.

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I'm just going to point it out now, Prof, I'm free if you need me to an import for you. I'm not too sure about some others, but I definately enjoy helping other people.

Even if it envolves giving away songs I don't want to give away.

15. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    huh.

I spindashed at the beginning of mz1 and it teleported me to the end. :psyduck:

Edit: Same thing happened to me on my second try of mz3. It seems to be happening randomly in mz.

16. D.A. Garden

D.A. Garden

Sonic CD's Sound Test Member
    http://forums.sonicretro.org/index.php?s=&...st&p=331128

This is a common problem with hacks that have ported the spindash via the guide on the wiki.

17. The Prof

The Prof

Orkney, Scotland
    Sonic 1 Yarmar Edition
    Bump for release. Full changelog below.

New MZ3 layout done
    Added Espio the Chameleon
    New invincibility music (from NES 'Transformers: Mystery Of Optimus Prime' title)
    New MZ palette
    Fixed some of the object placement in MZ2
    MZ art tweaked
    MZ now called 'Ancient Abbey'
    New SYZ palette
    Tweaked GHZ music
    Slight changes to GHZ layout and object placement
    Other minor things that were bugging me

Screens:
    MZ3
    Link (It's way too big for the forum)
    SYZ pallete and Espio
    [​IMG]
    MZ palette
    [​IMG]

Music:
    VGZ
    WAV

I already know that Espio is missing some sprites and his underwater palettes, but they'll be in sometime before the 18th. His palette also makes a lot of other objects miscoloured, something I'll fix over time. I also know about the underwater palette issues with Sonic. Other than that, any bug reports are much appreciated. I've got a week to scrub this up, so comments and critique are more important than ever.

Download

18. Jdogg

Jdogg

My god this name sucks. Member
    Beyond the door
    Sonic - Code Gray
    Just finished giving it a whirl. Seeing that your looking for bugs to fix, here's some I've came across.

. If you keep switching character choices at the title screen (B button btw to select between characters as Prof forgot to note it) you can end up with a purple mix-mash of sonic tiles, although the game does revert back to the original colours and sprite layouts after completing the first act.

.Spindashing at the start of acts can warp you to the end.

. There is a lava pit in Ancient Abby act 3 (if I can remember correctly) that although it plays the 'sonic hurt' animation, you do not lose any rings.

. The breakable blocks in Ancient Abby do not show the hit point sprites correctly as they are usually jumbled up.

Right, with that out of the road, I'm certainly enjoying your creativity to the new level layouts and mappings, and you've certainly got a creative flow going with editing the original foreground tiles in stages as well as your own created music files put in there. The only thing that made me ponder is why did you change the totem poles in GHZ into what I'm presuming are tree stumps? I'm also not really fond of the colour scheme you have for the sky in GHZ either, as I believe they should be a more lighter shade of blue. I also don't think that playing SFII Ken's stage music for Scrap Brain zone really fits well. Everything else otherwise seems to be coming along just fine. Keep rolling with it Prof.

19. Soselocke

Soselocke

MEEP MEEP MEEP Banned
    It's looking good so far to me. Great layouts in Ancient Abbey! The only problem for me is that GHZ Act 2 seemed way too short. Otherwise, I love the Convoy no Nazo tunes – they really took me by surprise.

Now, if you turn this into a Transformers G1 hack it'd be the best ever! :v:

20. Jimmy Hedgehog

Jimmy Hedgehog

England - Slough
    Getting the motivation to continue old projects
    Looking pretty good to me. Here's one bug that stood out though:
    [​IMG]
    What's wrong you ask? I didn't touch the checkpoint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.