don't click here

Christopher Thorndyke

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Endgame, Jun 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Eh, I think, if they put some more spotlight on the OTHER kids on a few occasions (as they apparently originally intended - Danny at least was allowed to fly with the Tornado back then, too 8D ), I bet people wouldn't find him all THAT annoying.

Personally, I can stand him, rarely did he annoy me - I mean, would you NOT try to be around your friends from another world who are so much more awesome than the friends you already have as often as possible? 8D

2. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    But the Fosters thing was based on a well known show and event.

3. White Rabbit

White Rabbit

Honey, honey... Member
    An event directly relating to Frankie being stuck in autism? Huh?

And they twisted Pokemon enough so that they could say Ash is in a coma and everything that happens in that world is related to his coma-induced fantasies. Why not do the same for Chris? Har har. I mean, for real, if some kid told me he was friends with three foot tall hedgehogs and foxes talked, I'd be a bit concerned.

4. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    Atleast in the Metarex Saga, Chris was useful and knew how to use Tails' technology.

However, this is the key moment of Chris hatred:

[​IMG]

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    One thing that might have made Chris mostly better would be if they had revealed that Sonic was hanging out with Chris because Sonic felt he owed Chris for saving his life sooner.

6. Jeiku

Jeiku

I actually thought Sonic was far more annoying than Chris in Sonic X. At least Chris benefited from having a personality, even if it was a grating one. Sonic had zero personality whatsoever, and actually got the least character development in the entire show, despite being the main character.

7. I thought we decided Sonic freeloads off anybody he can find.

8. Skyler

Skyler

Neonネオン Cowgirlカウガール Site Staff
    Hellafornia
    The next audtion
    From what I've seen in both the Japanese version and that version, Sonic seems to be a pretty arrogant type of guy, which fits his persona from the 90's. I don't remember the entire content of the post, but Tweaker explained it somewhere. Basically he's a cocky little shit, but if you fuck with his friends, you fuck with him. It was something along those lines. But I like the idea of Sonic being not too outgoing and keeping to himself somewhat.

9. Jeiku

Jeiku

See, I really don't care for that fan portrayal of Sonic, which is something I feel was facilitated by international promotional material. I can understand fascination with protagonists that aren't the normal goody-two-shoes heroes you see so often (my avatar should be sign of that), but the way fans interpret Sonic's 90s personality (or lack thereof) is quite off-putting. But while we're on the subject of interpreting Sonic's character, I always thought it would be cute to see him sport a child-like personality akin to Yotsuba from Yotsuba&!, or even be strong and wise like Red-Haired Shanks from One Piece, but that's for another topic (mabye).

Also, Sonic keeping to himself is one thing. But when you completely annihilate all trace of personality like the writers did for Sonic X, then we have a big problem. Sonic was never really the focus of the show, he seemed to be nothing more than a tool the other characters used when they were in a pinch.

10. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    In b4 the Sonic breaking into a house with Tails in the window image?

You also have to admit, what would've Sonic done if he didn't meet Chris? Tails would be stuck with the old Tornado and wouldn't have been able to destroy the satellite sweeper (probably) and would've had a VERY hard time getting back to their old world. They would've probably be free-roamers as well, making a base in the forest and gathering scraps from anywhere they can...

...that actually sounds cool.

11. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    When you get right down to it, every character in Sonic X sucked just as much if not more than Chris... Robotnik and the Chaotix (in part 2 at least) excluded.

And who sucked the most? Tails, for never getting the fuck away from those retarded looking planes.

[​IMG]
    Oops wrong one.

Drowned to death in the bottom of some rich fuck's swimming pool.

12. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

No, he wasn't incredibly annoying, he was just really lame.

He added nothing, useless character.

13. GeneHF

GeneHF

SEGA-ier than you'll potentially ever be. Site Staff
    Scenic Studiopolis
    Complete Global Conquest
    In that respect, he fit in nicely with all the recently introduced characters when the show launched.

:v:

14. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    The severity of this pic is lost on me. All I can really tell is that Sonic's all "WTF mate?"

15. Herm the Germ

Herm the Germ

Hmm, not bad. Well done, doctor! Member
    Dresden, Saxony, Germany
    MIDI-to-SMPS-conversions, mostly. Takin' requests, too.
    Basically, in that picture, Sonic was about to leave for his homeworld after all the others left, but then, 2 steps before the portal, Chris deactivated it. That's the WTF-moment.

16. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    And as I recall, it was a one-shot opening. Honestly, that moment didn't so much fill me with anger as it did surprise - you just have to look at it from Chris's view, I guess.

Besides, Sonic got back home in the next damn episode anyway, though Chris's suggestion =P

17. Endri

Endri

Officer I don't have my drivers license with me. C Tech Member
    I, myself, got really angry when he shut off the portal. I said "What the... you fucking little gay!" or something, and never watched this show ever again after this.

18. I guess you don't watch many things that have scenes where people leave and other characters end up developing and maturing.

It's quite a common plot point to have "K I'm leaving" "no I don't want you to go" <character development> "okay see ya"

19. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    I didn't know what to think. One part felt sorry for Chris (lol), one part felt confused, while one part felt extremely angry at Chris. It really was one of those moments that was made to make you think 'wtf Chris'.

20. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    As for me, I thought that was the pivotal moment in the whole series. The first episode, episode 26, and the last two episodes in the first series were pretty much the only real events to happen in the entire thing and the rest was filler. If anything, that scene was Chris's pivotal moment of intrigue.

I'm pretty sure we all know this wasn't a good show, but for what it was, it was all about that kid, his feelings of uselessness, and his attachment to something beyond him. Thats as good as the show gets and it's everything else thats worse, even if that is shit. What makes the moment for me is that it turned out the whole thing really was just a game as far as Sonic is concerned. It was just like Robotnik told Knuckles in the first couple episodes, Sonic really was the manipulator. He could have done his emerald jive at the very beginning of the series and then just went home. To that point, Chris was every bit as useless and trivial as he always feared he was, and if that wasn't the single deepest moment of the series, nothing was. Because everything else was paper-thin.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.