don't click here

Badniks & Bosses Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    You're just jealous 'cos you can't join in.
    Damn newbies, etc.

Anyhow, now that I've seen it next to the rest of the art, it looks amazing, except for the aforementioned problems with light and shading, and the shape of the rear.

2. I have a suggestion. Perhaps when Robotnik is hit with by the player more and more, the Eggmobile will start to get more and more cracked and damaged.

3. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I really do suggest that people should just stick to focusing on getting it as accurate to the original game as possible for now, since that really is the aim in the first place.

4. True. It's just something to consider in the future, perhaps in a version 1.1?

5. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It's a nice idea, but let's you artists focus and complete Egg-Mobile base first! ^^

6. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    No, im not kidding. As like I said, Robotnik will ALWAYS be infront of it with no way of seeing behind it.

The grass shades obviously needed changed, as you CAN see them.

7. Shanesan

Shanesan

Thats right, isn't it? He never "jumps" into his egg-mobile in Sonic 2 as far as I can recall. So why perfect something that will never be seen other than to show it off in the forums?

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    No problems on the seat, let's just have one complete EGG-Mobile! ^^

9. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

S2HD Staff - Badnik Artist Member
    Looks like I should read through threads before I trust the Available Art to Remaster thread.

This was my first shot at remastering anyway.. so if anything it was good practice.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    That looks great! I honestly can't point out any flaws. Well done! :)

11. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

Just to be sure - is anyone else working on the Balkiry? I've read through this entire thread, but you never know.

12. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

Suppose that's a no.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    actually there has been some previous work on the Balkiry however this does not mean your work has been a waste. I really like the level of detail you've put into your work. If the shadings where smoother and fitted into the style we call "uber", which the one below doesn't, it would be a great piece

[​IMG]

14. Philosoraptor

Philosoraptor

What exactly do I need to do to my shading to make it up to par? I fear adding even more shading layers will make it look too detailed and crowded.

Here's a comparison.
    [​IMG]

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Yeah, there is far too much shading on that. The shape of it looks awesome though from a glance. :)

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Having a depth look at the vectors you've got a nice construct ability Philosoraptor.
    So, yes for a "first shot" I'm pretty much surprised! ^^

As I honestly feel your potential to be much above this, I'll point you the Drawing HD Tutorials Topic especially the part related to Uber Shading.
    Here is a visual example as per the Uber Style we use for S2HD upcoming builds.
    [​IMG]
    ----

Fixes:
    [​IMG]

Red Mark:Shape errors on the net (is not perfectly vertical?), on the left eye(one white pixel seems to widen the eye area), and the junction of the legs (it seems more like a spike)
    Green Mark:There are several antialias problems, control them with Pixel Preview mode with Illustrator! (View-->Pixel Preview) ;)
    Blue Mark + Cyan Mark:The neck bright shade is too hard, and the connecting sphere does not appear at all, while the below the wheel mechanism misses some darker shades to gain more volume.

Said this, again good job.
    Most of those fixes are minor ones in comparison of the overall and excellent shaping skills.
    I strongly suggest you to complete this one before working on other Badniks! ;)

Anything you need, I'm here. ^^

EDIT:
    I've produced for you Philosoraptor a rough PShopped raster work, to show you practically the Uber shades applied on the grabber:
    [​IMG]

It includes:

-All the previous fixes mentioned before
    -Adapting of lighting on the neck.

Proposal:

-Slim additional lighting on the triangle metal plate of the head
    -Reduced shiny spots volume on the legs

NON APNG STILLS:

1 - 2

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I think Philosoraptor's submissions look far better as they are with visible color steps than they would if they were to overabuse gradients like in the examples you've provided. Please don't use your arbitrarily imposed, aesthetically ugly standards to ruin an already-fantastic piece of work. I'd appreciate it.

18. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    Right, because your opinions on what can be considered aesthetically beautiful are undisputed and accepted by all. :specialed:

I'm siding with Vincent on this one. Philo's submissions are excellent, but the transitions between colors do still need to be blended so the badniks don't look jagged and rough.

19. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Poor Vincent can't get a break, can he? :ohdear:

We HAVE to make a choice though. A. We pick gradients or B. we pick colour steps.
    Both versions can equally turn out incredibly ugly or near perfection.

EDIT:
    I'm in for the gradients as well, by the way. The robots look much sleeker and smooth.

20. That's what anti-aliasing is for, not copious amounts of gradients.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.