don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's very, very interesting. Perhaps fiddling with the lightning a little...

2. Shanesan

Shanesan

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  4. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  5. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I don't like how Hill Top Zone is going to look exactly how it was in the game. We all know it's actually GHZ but with a different colour palette, but I'm pretty sure this wasn't intentional. How about we stick in a few changes? Just a couple of things that derail this level from the others.

6. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Any proof of concept is welcome test-object!

However, until we've got more tile artists on the Staff we're more inclined to complete the main game as it is and add revisions later. (less time to complete a zone + levels to play)

I so encourage those finer details to be added on specific BGs or items, just like this latest Christmas tree! ^^

7. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    I am most sorry for the lack of examples/mockups. However, I actually did not mean details, I mean some obvious differences so this level becomes noticibly, if not drastic different from Green Hill Zone. It's always been a thorn in everyone's sides and I see no reason NOT to change it.
    Graphically, it was crap.

What would we do, keep the mistakes and graphic-limits or improve on it with today's capabilities? Let me answer it for you; the second one of course.

8. Shanesan

Shanesan

I would assume this is what we'd do anyway, as the scenery -- the backgrounds for example, will all need a 3d accelerated system. Fogs, haze (oil ocean) and other stuff will all need to be generated and obviously better than the genesis could.

9. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    I have thought about that too.

Hill Top is good as a level! But the borrowed art from EHZ and sometimes also simular meta blocks can be a little cheap for todays standars.
    But because it was made this way why not be lazy? XD

10. Hodgy

Hodgy

UK
    Games programming :)
    TBH the average player wont notice that HTZ is just EHZ with a different colour pallet. To be honest Neither did I till someone pointed it out to me, and hilltop zone is still one of my favorite levels (it has nothing to do with a place near me called Hill Top :P )

11. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Seeing as the HTZ tree has been given attention in 3D, I figured it would be worth it to take a shot at it myself:

[​IMG]

I wasn't sure if it would be better to leave the shadows beneath the 'leaves' on or not. I can update with another image showing it without them if that's warranted.

And yes, the base coloring sucks. I couldn't be arsed to fuss with it for the moment.

Edit: went ahead and included the toon shader render as well. Subtle differences, but those may make the big difference someday.

12. zemulii

zemulii

It is!? Wow it is... I can't believe I never realised that...

BTW that tree definitely has more volume (as it should). Is there any way to give the edges of the "spikes" (especially closer to the middle of the tree) more definition? In the original the dark thin shadows give it a kind of an outline. But I quite like how that's looking, other than the some of the colours which you already mentioned anyway.

13. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    If you look carefully don't the trees form some kind of formation like shuttlecocks being piled on top of each other.

Here is an example, it was the best image I could find:
    [​IMG]

14. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    Just wanted to post another adaptation of ME's tree with more shading;

original I posted;
    http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/8355/htztree5.jpg

Edit:
    Taking into account CT's criticism, not having solely up/down shading, and ICEKnight's, making the adaptation on ME's image;
    [​IMG]

Personally I prefer the lines I added =/

Anyway that's the last tree I am posting, the responses seem to be in favour of a 3d rendered tree and I'm not trying to attempt the HTZ tree anyway just showing the changes I would have made instead of just writing them

15. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    I think what we need here isn't lighter on top and darker on bottom, because in the scene the bottom would be lit just as much as the top. Try to use side lighting or something, light comes from everywhere not just from on top.

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This... And also I don't think having another tree behind looks too good. =|

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
  18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Good improvements! However several areas are now well blended, while others are still too rough (I.e. dark blocks becoming suddenly much lighter).
    Try brighten up the darker colours abit to see if they blend in better :psyduck:

To speed up the process of creation I pass you my source file of the EHZ Twisted loop.
    The perspective is broken, but the shading is applied each single square with a path gradient to make it blend seamlessly! ;)

[​IMG]