don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    For all the races, religions, thoughts, nationalities, genders,Greeks and Troyans:

[​IMG]

2. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Hmm, I think I have an idea of how to do the gradient fills, expand the live paint area and then fill each space with a gradient, but I'm not sure about the layer mask stuff. Care to go into detail about that?

3. zemulii

zemulii

Hmm, I think it all looks a bit flat with the way the shadows are. Kind of like cardboard cutouts layered on top of each other. It's more apparent in the smoothed (infinite shades) version. Personally I think something inbetween the two would be better. The smoothed one looks a little *too* clean and simple to me. The shadows between the layers could be blurred out a bit, and a little more contrast given to the light running down the middle by bringing in the darker shades from the sides further. I think the problem perhaps with the smooth version is that it loses the contrast of the darker shades on the sides. I'm not sure if I'm making sense... and I'm not sure if that would work. Just a suggestion :argh:.

The longer I look at it the better it looks actually! But I still think the shadows could do with some work, and the shading/lighting should maybe follow the shapes of the branches more. It needs a more 3D look so that each layer looks like a cone placed over top of the one below as in the original.

[​IMG]

That's kind of what I mean about the shadow part... but I'm not really sure about it...

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    It's cool ME, as it indeed looks pretty accurate to the original, yet it's very problem lies on this resemblance!
    The original frame looks quite bad with those marked colour steps and heavy 3D-like shading, so yeah, it's time for that 25% Uber-ness reimagination! ^^

*While keeping the same surreal shape, try adding some more volume on each leaf, and add it some new details to it.

5. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

Sonic 2HD - Concept Artist Member
    [​IMG]
    I thought it was supposed to look 3D. Sonic 2 has a mixture of 2d and 3d art.

6. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
  7. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, I think ME's looks good, but lacks volume. It indeed looks a bit like being made out of paper cutouts, for some reason.

Another issue I see with it, is that most of the original's shapes don't seem to be so curved, but more based on straight lines, which is something that MaximusDM seems to have emphasized (even though some shapes don't look quite right).

8. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

9. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Why not just do something like this?

[​IMG]

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Pasting ME's tree over a darkened copy of it isn't much of a fix... ;)

11. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    This is my attempt at meeting both MaximusDM's and ME's styles;
    [​IMG]

Just a mock of how I would do it. It probably would look better if the lines I added followed the curves of the tree

12. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
  13. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Layering makes it look flat

And if it's truely supposed to be a "3D tree" well... yeah.

about the trunk though - I had an idea
    [​IMG]
    just because it's dithered doesn't mean it has to be a gradient - I thought why not put in a subtle Sonic-like texture instead?

14. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Why are these newest trees have a shadow ON TO the blue background like it really is a cardboard cut-out stuck on some blue paper?

It would make a nice Christmas card, mind you - with a little snow on it ;p

15. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Meh, I don't like that tree that much, not even in the original art...I mean...what they where thinking?... It doesnt fit on anything... But, however to be remastered in hd, I think we should keep that low shading, that's the "base" of the art after all.

By the way, sorry guys I was on a little "vacation" here in Uruguay, 7 days doing anything xD...nah, not really, Im trying to learn 3D modeling xP

16. Shanesan

Shanesan

That's the thing though -- most of the contributors of Sonic 2 HD think thats the objective -- "remaster" -- however Vincent, I believe, said in another post that this is not the master objective, but to create sonic 2 in HD, if it was simply "remastering" they'd have used another name. I was trying to find the direct quote but it's dodging me and I don't feel it is worth taking more than 15 minutes to find it.

Anyway,

If the art really doesn't work for what we're doing, we have to more than just remaster it, but more or less create one that:

A) Works with the levels art style
    and
    B) People like.

Sometimes graphics just don't convert to HD well. I suggest looking at the rest of the levels graphics design and sketch out a tree that could work for this.

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

Maybe there should be a touch of realism that includes a tiny bit of what a pine tree has:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD
    Eh, I thought having a darker copy of the tree behind it made it look a little better, but I can see why you guys don't want that. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Also, is it possible to get a mock up for the Hilltop Zone? I think his trees might look fine if they're put into context.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

20. MaximusDM

MaximusDM

[​IMG]