don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    http://www.gamingaccess.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7859

It looks like str files are text files of some sort, not image files. At least for that one specific PSP game, though I would think it's likely used for more that one psp game...

2. SonikkuForever

SonikkuForever

Be cool, be wild, and be groovy! Member
    Gathering information on Sega World Sydney and collecting Sonic merchandise.
    Thanks Rika, but I'm afraid that program doesn't work. It gives me a "subscript out of range" error whenever I try to open it. I don't think these are text files, anyway. As far as I know, the Rivals games store text in .txt. files.

3. Hi,

I'm following this tutorial on how to add the spin dash into Sonic 1 but I hit a wall on the part about padding Sonic.bin to a bigger file size so there is room to put in the spin dash animation.

How do I go about doing this?

(If this is important, Sonic.bin isn't the actual game it is part of the disassembly under artunc)

I have searched for a while now for a solution but I couldn't find anything.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    You need to add a few "FF" in a Hex Editor in Sonic.bin in order to make more tiles so you can fit the Spindash in. If that is what you mean.

5. I don't know if it was what you meant but I opened it up in Hex Workshop and inserted about 24000 bytes in and it worked perfectly.

Even if it wasn't I wouldn't have done it without your help.

Thanks

6. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    No problem. ^_^

Have you done the tutorial now?

7. Yep although I didn't start this one as after reading through it, I've found it a little confusing...

8. filmzombie

filmzombie

The real spindash... Member
    England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Okay guys, I have just been made aware of this.

After editting one of the second act of my Aquatic Ruin in SonEd2 I started inserting objects after finishing the layout.

However, upon saving and reopening I have discovered for some reason a bizzarre error has occurred and every single tile has been misplaced in the layout.

Unfortunately I can't provide pics but there is only one clue- the pattern is consistant that for every tile on the row below the one above has been moved precicely three spaced to the right for every single row. This leaves a somewhat bizzarre effect and it completely makes the whole level look like a jigsaw puzzle.

Question is- Is there anyway to correct the error? Or am I doomed to repeat the layout for Aquatic Ruin all over again?

Any help would be appreciated.

9. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    You could try opening it in a hex editor and deleting three tiles worth of bytes from the start of the discrepancy?

Wouldn't it just be easier to drag it onto rompad.exe? That's what I did, before...

10. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    @filmzonbie: Last time that happened to me, it was because I accidentally shrunk the viewing field for SonED2. The help files say this is done by pressing CTRL and a direction at the same time while in chunk placement mode, which I may have done while quickly scrolling through chunks. Try opening the level in SonED2 again: if the plane size isn't 0080 0010, it's definitely wrong. If it is that, try increasing it by one to 0081 0010 (CTRL + Right), saving again, and reopening it to see what changed. If that doesn't work, try again, etc. Back it up first, so that you can always fiddle with it in hex to fix it if that doesn't work.

I think that you need to expand the plane by three to the right, but don't take my word on that because I never use the resizing feature except by mistake. :s Also I may be full of shit, but the odds that I expanded the plane for the first time and encountered a similar problem to yours coincidentally are slim.

11. filmzombie

filmzombie

The real spindash... Member
    England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Unfortunately the plane size seems to be accurate, in which case I seem to be lost. I will keep fiddling with it though, see if anything can change it.

12. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    It's impossible for the plane size of a freshly-loaded Sonic 2 level to read anything other than "0080 0010" because Sonic 2 levels are fixed at that size, so there is no per-level data for size

Accidental resizing in the editor is the only thing it could be; you must have pressed ctrl-left three times somehow, for some reason

Try this-
    http://www.emulationzone.org/projects/stealth/s2offset.exe

You'll have to decompress the level layout file with tsdc or something first, then run the decompressed file through this program. The program will generate "temp.bin", which you will need to re-compress, and use it to replace the corrupted file

The program will default to correct an offset of 3 on Plane A if you only pass the name of the input file (by the command-line, or you should be able to drag the file onto the program), but just in case this happens to anyone again, you can also use the command-line to pass the name of the file, an offset for plane A, and an offset for plane B, in that order. To set this up using a full paramater set, you'd do this (assuming the name is "arz.bin"):

s2offset.exe arz2.bin 3 0

13. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Meh, never tried that before, I've just quickly opened it up in a Hex Editor before and just adding in a few FF's. No harm done really, doesn't take that long either.

14. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Have any Linux-based hacking utilities for sonic been developed yet?

15. ZFG

ZFG

Norway
    How do I start it all? I have SMPS2XM wich converts Sonic 1's song's to XM format. But how does it work?

16. MarkeyJester

MarkeyJester

Original, No substitute Resident Jester
    Japan
    Well I'm not really an XM user so I really can't help you, however I do recommend learning how to make and edit music in SMPS format, it makes porting music easier.

17. ZFG

ZFG

Norway
    oh? Where can I read about that?

18. Master3k

Master3k

Clickness.

Also, I don't really think you should start by porting XM's. Maybe you should do some ports with ESEII sound porter and fix them until you think you're ready to port XM's and music from S3K/S3D manually.

19. c1owd

c1owd

Previously 'CarrascoZX0' Member
    Shouldn't this be in the Basic Questions & Answers thread?

Thats why it was made...

EDIT: I prefer to use xm3smps myself... =P

20. ZFG

ZFG

Norway
    Thank You!