don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Alright, how's this one look, then?

[​IMG]

2. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Sonic Studio, Sonic Physics Guide, Kyle & Lucy, Freedom Planet 2
    There is seriously no need, I'd rather make it in vector, It is more fun.
    I think we are using too many 3d models for simple objects (IMO).

3. An idea for vectoring the signpost:

[​IMG]

Add some texture to it. This *is* HD, and having it with no texture won't look like a metal signpost at all, it'll look like plastic else.

But take it or leave it, your choice.

4. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    If I was to make Sonic 3 HD, texturing objects to make them more real would be the right choice.

There is a way to make metal looking objects without adding a concrete texture to it (I think your texturing is more concrete looking :P ).

Ever since I first saw Terminator 2, I have been looking into what makes T-1000 so metallic in the CGI shots. The reflections are so strong, a lot of light and a lot of very dark shadows reflecting with almost nothing inbetween. The gradient between light and dark is very short/fast.

Adding a really dark shadow reflection somewhere in the pole and the sides of the already plastic looking end sign will probably make it more metallic, and the same goes to Eggman's ship.

5. Best way for metal is to have a faint pencil-sketch texture with sharper shadows. Gives the appearance of buffed metal.

I would have done it on the sign, but I don't have the texture to hand atm.

Anyhoo, textured ring as well:
    [​IMG]

16 frames this time to make it flow. Again, slightly wrong texture (Don't have the right one on me), but having the rings look slightly buffed would be better IMO.

I bet this ring won't go down well at all >_>

6. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Agreed. The signpost needs more grittyness then the edible, plasticpastered jellybean it is now. Same goes for the spikes to be honest. They are supposed to look like Robotnik artificially placed them there, so I suggest you take his Eggmobile as a base.

7. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    Honestly I like the sing post art as it was before. Sonic 2 didn't look realistic, why the hell does this have to?

8. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
  9. Like I said, that was an example. Buffed metal, especially one that's just out in the open, won't be perfect. Having a minor brush effect on it would suit it IMO.

10. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Personally I think the non-3D signpost was better.

Really you should be saving your 3D skills for the parts in Sonic 2 that were actually based off 3D models (or at least look as if they were).

Examples: The rotating net in Metropolis, the Corkscrews in Emerald Hill (though granted that's already been started), various bits in Oil Ocean, Wing Fortress, the special stages etc.

The signposts look as if they were sprited by hand. Hell it was proven a few posts ago that the light source was wrong if made for real in 3D. They'll have been recycled from Sonic 1 and that game hardly had and 3D influence at all.

11. I'm the one who said the light source is impossible >_>

I was giving the vectorist a couple suggestions for texture - I'm not actually gonna make a full signpost in 3D as it won't work (If I correct all the original mistakes, people complain)

Edit:
    [​IMG]

For people who need to see it on the vector >_>

Again, the texture would need work if used (This texture is way too strong).

12. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Having some stuff textured and some not would just look odd. I say leave the textures out.

13. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    <!--quoteo(post=297664:date=Apr 5 2009, 09:06 AM:name=TyrantWave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TyrantWave @ Apr 5 2009, 09:06 AM) [​IMG][/quote]

It's beautiful.

14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    On the signpost case,

I can say that amongst our Staff only a couple of individuals know how to use Illustrator's "Pixel Preview" to create such semi-transparent pixel perfect results, and one of them is Sonica.

Sonica's Vector Signpost:
    [​IMG]

"Pixel Preview"
    [​IMG]
    "Vector View" (Each curved shade is drawn manually to create this very unique semi-transparent pixel bridge to look uniform)
    [​IMG]

If this signpost gets quickly completed by Sonica with this quality, I feel we've seen fine 3D examples but there's no need to make further experiments on this one.

*About Metal Texture*
    I can say no for the rough metal textures of Signpost, yes on eroded metal such as parts of CPZ! :)

*About Gambit's TL EHZ*

It's Much better Gambit, good job on those edges! :)
    The only major broken part of leading lines lies on this spot:
    [​IMG]

(too abrupt, almost a quickturn)

15. JcFerggy

JcFerggy

Do you want to taco 'bout it? Member
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    GoldenEye: Source, Other Stuff
    In that clip of the loop, there should be some inbetween shade, since the transition between the dark and light is too fast.

16. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    <!--quoteo(post=297841:date=Apr 5 2009, 07:05 PM:name=Vincent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vincent @ Apr 5 2009, 07:05 PM) [​IMG]

"Pixel Preview"
    [​IMG]
    "Vector View" (Each curved shade is drawn manually to create this very unique semi-transparent pixel bridge to look uniform)
    [​IMG]

If this signpost gets quickly completed by Sonica with this quality, I feel we've seen fine 3D examples but there's no need to make further experiments on this one.

*About Metal Texture*
    I can say no for the rough metal textures of Signpost, yes on eroded metal such as parts of CPZ! :([/quote]

Look:

[​IMG]

The Pole that holds the post up I have made metalic, but to do the whole thing would need utter re-construction.

To tell the truth I have finished the Signpost (if you forget the metalic shines)

So anyone, can you decide if I should make it metalic or leave it as Vincent showed it? (I could also leave the pole metailic and the rest as it is...)

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    That comes as a great news Sonica! ^^
    As we usually say "first things first", provide me the animated frames and I'll build the APNG on the mockup to test it.

*About the accentuated metal shading of pole as it stands now, I'm afraid it would really clash too much with the signpost AND the BG. (and given the work required for it, let's not waste any precious time for the Capsule!)

18. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I say that the metal parts need to be just a touch lighter. Looking awesome anyway.

19. Lapper

Lapper

Lappering Tech Member
    England
    Ok, the AI is here:
    VectorSignPost_2_.ai - 4.43MB

If I could tone down the metalic shading, do you think it would work?
    Infact, I uploaded a toned down version... see if you like it.

ALSO, add a gif aswell fo IE users (I cant veiw apng's...)
    Oh and yes, the capsule will be next in line for me!

20. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Is there any reason you can't get Firefox? D=

...Just curious.