don't click here

VB or C++?

Discussion in 'Technical Discussion' started by Alriightyman, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Gen

Gen

This is halloween! This is halloween! Member
    The Mobius Engine
    Admittedly, one thing I do like about C# is the ability to contain namespaces within their own blocks.

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    It's just a cycle. See how in five years everybody will be crazy on a whole new language which is even more high-level, and people will look at C# like they look at C++ now, and C++ will be basically today's C =P

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    What? No they won't, C# isn;t an officially sanctioned continuation like C++ was =P

If anything, the new language will be C++0x.

(And at this rate, by 2100 the language will be called C++0x&*$%"%^)( =P)

4. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Let's hope Capcom doesn't see this.

5. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    hahahahahahahahaha

It IS a technique they've mastered, yes =P

6. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Nah, C++0x is just the name of the revision of the standard. Once it's adopted, C++ will still be known as C++, it'll just be a little more awesome. :D

I really can't wait for C++0x. There are some things coming in that I've wanted for a long time, and a hell of a lot of stuff I never even realized I was working around. Some of the things I'm most interested in are type inference, templated typedefs, variadic templates, move semantics, language-level support for threading, initializer list enhancements, and construtor enhancements. I'm not sold on some of the more abstract stuff yet, like "concepts" and "lambda functions", but when Visual Studio comes out with C++0x support, I'll be installing it the same day.

7. SegaLoco

SegaLoco

W)(at did you say? Banned
    Hahahaha. C/C++ for me. I don't really like most other C derivatives. I do agree that Java is crap though. There is this idiot at school that says "Java iz 1337 b/c it is based on javascript!!11!1oneoneone" and I just laugh and laugh.

8. saxman

saxman

Oldbie Tech Member
    There's nothing wrong with that though. He probably just doesn't know enough about it to really know what he's saying. But we were all like that at one time, and some people here still are.

The concept of Java is good. I just think the language is a bit too anal. I also don't like the terminology. It's like they tried using terms that were more people-friendly rather than math-oriented -- that was the thing that confused the hell out of me, and one of the biggest reasons I struggled in that class. That, and my teacher was extremely picky and required us first-time students to understand the rules as stated in the standard 9_9

9. Rainer

Rainer

Because languages are instructions of algorithms written for humans which are incidentally made for machines to use.

10. C++. I hate Visual BASIC with a passion.

11. Axel Letterman

Axel Letterman

The Saiyan Hedgehog Member
    Yeah, I recommend sticking with C++ too. It'll give you more flexibility into making your own programs.

BASIC is good on the old computers like Commodore 64, MSX, Amstrad APC, etc. But it's not good for today's computers.

Oh and learn Assembly language too while you are at it, it also gives you a great advantage to programming.

http://www.swansontec.com/sprogram.html

12. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Someone once described Java as "Saying Java is good because it works on all operating systems is like saying anal sex is good because it works on all genders", and he was right. In my experience it's slow for the end user and a pain in the neck for the developer.

13. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    The funny thing about Java is how the syntax for different "parts" is completely different. Having GUI functions built into the API might sound useful... except that it uses a completely (and I mean completely) different syntax. For example, commands are suddenly in all caps, about thrice as long, and not terribly distinct, and that's just the tip of this iceberg.

14. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Message box in something like VB: MsgBox "Hello"

Message box in Java (I'm not kidding here): javax.swing.JOptionPane.showMessageDialog(null, "Hello");
    Yes, I know why it's this long and convoluted, but STILL

15. RamiroR

RamiroR

LOL, that's not the question I hear everyday, I would take C++, no doubt

16. MayoSunstar

MayoSunstar

IMAGINATION Member
    I've never seen any use for VB. I was going to go with C#, but I'm going for C++. I recommend you do as well, even though you already answered earlier you were going with it anyways, I felt the need to say it again for some odd reason.

17. AamirM

AamirM

Tech Member
    C++.

18. Rainer

Rainer

C++ is an extremely horrible language anyways.

If you want to learn a language with manual memory management, learn C. If you want the previous with the addition of object-oriented programming (that is not to say that object oriented design isn't possible in C (see gobject)), consider objective-C.

For more arguments on specifically why C++ is horrible, see the C++ FQA.

19. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Why would you learn Objective C unless you want to be stuck to the Mac platform? The vast majority of the Objective-C additions are Mac only.

20. Rainer

Rainer

http://www.gnu.org/software/gnustep/