don't click here

Given the fact that Tails can fly...

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by jawn.sith, Mar 31, 2009.

Would you buy a game starring Tails?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Are you serious

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Who?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
    I think if they created a larger, less-'kiddie' game based around Tails around the launch of Sky Patrol and Adventure (not that there's anything wrong with them), the game probably could've done quite well for itself. Today? I don't think it could do as well.

2. If tails was given his own game, I would buy it...why? Because if you have played Tails' Adventure (Don't think you might have), but the whole concept of that game was really interesting, the way everything worked was what made that game have it's good and bad points...bad point being that it was super slow.

3. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Really, a Tails game, we could make it a slow pace platformer with some mech mechanics, I could work.

4. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    Tails Adventure is one of my absolute favorite Sonic games, and easily the best spinoff IMO.

I'd buy a Tails game.

5. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Out of curiosity, why are some of you here calling Tails Adventure a "kiddie" game? I played through it a few years back and found it to be a rather enjoyable adventure game for any age, really.

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Maybe, it depends what you do as Tails.
    sigged.

7. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Tails should have stuck with just playing with the red tornado, maintaining the engine and such. Letting him make anything ruins his character imo, it's just another "make it bigger and better" approach for his character.

I know things have to evolve and change over time to keep them fresh but, oh hell I'm just being picky now, fuck it.

8. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I have a feeling a number of these people haven't played it and just think that it's a partner to Tails Skypatrol (which is most certainly is not), to answer your admittedly mostly rhetorical question.

That said, Skypatrol is cool too. There are few things more awesome than a hard game that can repeatedly whup one's ass, and one of them is a game with a distinctly kiddy and cutesy style like that one, which by its nature helps poor salt on the wounds.

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    I suppose so.

However, I can't help but feel with the INTERNET RAGE that pops up whenever anything deviating from the strict "this is what a Sonic game must be!" ideas of fans comes from Sonic Team that if such a game were introduced, you'd all immediately get pissed and do soniccycle.jpg and the same things we discuss every time a new game's been released since 2000.

That being said, I think that'd be a much wiser move for Sega to make than their ideas of late—if they want to explore different ideas but still want a selling IP behind it, they should just other characters from the Sonic universe.

10. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Sonic Adventure contained what should have been Tails' coming-of-age story, as he completely saves Station Square's ass from destruction, completely unseen from Sonic. This really should have been it, he realises "Damn, I can do this on my own" and stops being attached to Sonic like a rectal limpet.

But no. Sega love the idea of a mentally retarded autistic fox following around their flagship 'TUDE SMILE BEARING loser.

11. jawn.sith

jawn.sith

Okay well I have played Tails Adventure and it felt like a kiddie game. Maybe it's because the element of speed was completely gone, even though we know Tails can match Sonic's speed in normal form. The sprites of Tails romping through the woods, throwing bombs at ducks, it just felt juvenile.

The fact of the matter is, Tails is better than Sonic. There, I said it. I've always thought it but everyone would say "wow you're a fag," if I tried to bring up the argument. But it's true. He has way more abilities than Sonic, and I don't know about you but I would love to play a game that makes use of these skills. But the only way it would be able to sell at all was if it was called Sonic: Tails'z Quest or something stupid like that and if they introduced an alternate player.

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    ...that's not astoundingly juvenile at all, actually. Walking around throwing bombs around? It's not particularly MATURE or EXTREME, but it shouldn't be (see: Bomberman: Act Zero).

Kiddy, in contrast, would be sugar-coating everything. Everyone would be smiling. Enemies would be really cute and cuddly. Tails would be even cuter and cuddlier (like, more than usual). The plants would be singing and the birds and the sun would almost be down from the top of the sky. Music would be positively saccharine. Basically, it'd be insulting to your intelligence.

...which TA, slow or not, typically isn't - the action is pretty solid, considering, and the puzzles can be perplexing in some spots (if mindnumbingly easy in others).

...actually, we could use a few more good "kiddy" games (key word being GOOD) in the industry, tbh. The constant "let's ape off Halo and Gears of War" trend started in the PS2 era is getting VERY old at this point.

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  14. Tenniru

Tenniru

Duty Now For The Future Oldbie
    It's worth mentioning that the first level of the game features Tails' home being burned to the ground by an army of scary ducks.

Even if the game looks like it's a kiddie game for some reason, it's certainly more complex and puzzle-oriented than the Sonic games. It really feels more like a Metroid/Megaman hybrid, and that's badass.

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Tails is really just Sonic's Side Kick and the way Tails has developed over the years, could we really expect to get a game that can be taken seriously and well... Isn't just "Meh"?

16. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    As Tails is today? No way, in fact I wouldn't buy a Sonic game unless it was a SONIC GAME.

The character has potential, but he's falling into the category of characters I simply detest lately. They had it perfect in Adventure. Just him and Sonic hunting emeralds or whatever with Tails following Sonic close behind in levels. Also a better VA, a MUCH better VA.

17. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    Sure, I'd buy a game staring Tails, but it'd have to be a more interesting, less annoying eight year old version of Tails. He can keep the genius traits, but oi, it'd be nice to see Tails develop some kind of personality.

IMO, he'd be best suited to an action RPG type game.

18. Beebles

Beebles

Now with OFFICIAL terrible Knuckles artwork. Member
    Check my blog for details.
    Pre-Heroes Tails was my favorite character, hands down. Starting with Sonic Heroes he turned into a fairly useless and actually annoying character. If a Tails Game were made, there would have to be serious concessions on Sega's part for me to even consider buying it.

At any rate, I think Sega is just bored with him. How much real interaction was there between him and Sonic in Unleashed? I believe they have a total of 1 conversation, involving possibly 3 sentences apiece. I think the main problem is that Tails cannot be a point of opposition, so every other character is much more interesting. Tails is just too agreeable for a game with this much 'tude.

19. Techokami

Techokami

For use only on NTSC Genesis systems Researcher
    HoleNet!
    Sonic Worlds Next
    I'd really like to see a sucessor to Tails' Adventure - a Metroidvaniaesque adventure game with lots of gadgets, items, moves, areas, etc.

20. dooky

dooky

I might well be alone in feeling that the Tails we see in Sonic Adventure 2 seemed to follow naturally from the developments in the previous game. The fact that Tails is now tackling problems in a giant walking mecha, rather than aping Sonic as in older games, seemed to suggest that he was through being in Sonic's shadow; that he was now doing things in a way he was more comfortable with. This all seemed to have been forgotten about by the time Heroes rolled around, but it's something I thought was worth noting, given that the majority opinion is that Tails' development ceased in Adventure.

A related element of Tails that needs further exploration is what I've come to describe as the "Tails/Eggman thing". There's a definite... atmosphere between those characters in SA2 - and, indeed, in Chronicles - that intrigues me. In SA2, Tails was presented as Eggman's counterpart - his equal, if you will, and by the end of the game, they're on surprisingly cordial terms. It's long been established that the Doctor has a healthy respect for Sonic, his worthy adversary, but it's never seemed remotely mutual... Sonic really couldn't give two hoots about Eggman. With Tails, though, there definitely is a mutual respect thing going on. It's taken even further in Chronicles, where the two of them seem to be getting on hugely well together when working against a common enemy. I don't know where future games could go with this, but there has to be more promise in it than Tails' current role as Sonic's perenially kiddie-voiced sidekick...

And that brings me to a point I'd like to echo - Tails needs a fresh voice actor more than any other character in the series. Most of the problems with the English vocal tracks, in my opinion, stem from bad scriptwriting rather than bad acting. Tails is the one character, though, that I'd recast in a heartbeat. And not just to have a different actor aping the same voice - I really think that Tails needs to sound a little older, and a little less inclined to drag out every damn syllable as if he's recovering from a stroke.

Also, on a tangent...

That game is a work of art. The US/EU version is also one of the most difficult platformers I've ever played.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.