don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [​IMG]Uber (WIP)
    [​IMG]TD (UGLY!!!)

Chaos Knux:

You're way too generous on me! ^^
    Thanks for your feedback, We LOVE S2HD as much as you, and that means we'll do everything to deliver the most professional quality we can! :colbert:

2. Very nice!

Two things look odd though:
    1) His tail. I don't know what, but something just appears weird with it.
    2) The soles of his shows seem to be facing more towards us than they should - like his feet are bending towards us.

3. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Looks to me like you're following the tail way too literally. Should be more curved, and the heels of Sonic's shoes are curved.

4. Lizam

Lizam

Lizam Member
    Australia
    Mario & Sonic: Worlds Clash
    It's a great improvement from the TD Vincent!

However, along with the shape of the tail, I think the stomach needs a bit of an edit too.

It looks too circular for the way Sonic is bending his torso. Plus, the shading makes it look like he has twisted his body towards the player/screen.

It could be more oval shaped and angled to the way his torso is bent. Maybe even place it a little more to the right.

Keep up the great work!

5. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    Do I *have* to keep asking for a comparison to the original sprite? How can I comment on its accuracy, unless I have to start going through 82 other pages just to look for the original sprite?

ps. It's definitely looking cool and HD now anyway, btw 8)

6. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    That's the sonic 3 sprite, not the s2 sprite...

7. synchronizer

synchronizer

I hope I did this correctly (If not, I would appreciate a lesson of scaling in Photoshop CS3 Extended. I just changed the width and height percentages from 100% to 400% for both. Is that right?)
    [​IMG]

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    #1[​IMG]#2[​IMG]

-Shoes perspective fix
    -Rounder belly
    -Sockets shadows edited
    -Added missing spike (there are inconsistency issues on the original frames, sometime it gets 3 while it must correctly have 4)
    -Prepared animation blending for #3

Note:

1)As you can see, there was something very strange indeed and like in other previous cases it was the missing Spike. Time to move on the third and last one to make this animation complete. ^^

2)Still need to polish up shoes, and adjust the spikes to get the animation flow properly done.

9. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    Just a quickie: Did you shade the 2nd frame? His belly looks kinda poorly shaded compared to frame #1.

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Yes, It is differently shaded due animation flow purposes. ^^

11. Why are his knees bent? I always pictured it as you see it in the sprite, with the legs fully extended to really sell that stopping motion.

Think about it. If the knees weren't locked, the feet would friction against the ground and sonic would bend at the knees more and fall on his face. Are you preparing to have him stand up, and frame 1 is going to be repeated until then?

Actually, now I'm wondering how the original animation worked. Wasn't it just one frame with the spindash particles at the feet?

:specialed: *is confused*

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    No need to be confused! As you only remember the first frame! :specialed:
    The animation is composed by 3 frames actually: [​IMG] (APNG)

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, very good, but I think the added third spike looks misplaced and way too big. He's supposed to have three visible spikes for his head, and one for his body, but it doesn't seem to be like that in the latest versions.

I personally think the bottom spike should be left untouched. Having that last spike aligned with his belly and legs in this animation makes the pose look cooler.

14. In the sprite, his pupils seem moreso towards the front of his face.

15. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Just a question, but are you going to actually be adding frames to make it smoother animating, or just keeping the same number of frames and simply changing the art?

16. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    He will insert smoother animation, but for now, he wants to focus on having all the frames.

There, that saved Vincent a few words. :(

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks for the answer test-object! :psyduck:

A small preview then!
    [​IMG]
    *Note it still requires many animation tweaks yet.

18. Kirinja

Kirinja

ATATATATA! Member
    I still think his stomach looks kinde flat :/
    The shading is not smooth enough, that might be why I'm seeing it :P

19. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Well, to start of, the belly acts weird. The spikes (mainly the lower ones) grow too big and the upper spike looks overlapped by the on below where-as it's supposed to be the other way around. Perhaps you could give the shoes a bit of animation as well.

20. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member