don't click here

The Supreme Topic of 'Other' Knowledge.

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by McGuirk, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Why sudden of all you list lots of animals from other games that barely resemble Sonic? =P

2. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Blue + Hedgehog (+ Ball Rolling) = Sonic!?

3. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I hate to break it to you guys, but the concept of a hedgehog rolling into a ball to attack enemies—a trait present in the animals in their natural habitat—is hardly original, nor was it pioneered by Sonic the Hedgehog. Not every occurance of a hedgehog—even a blue one—has to be some sort of deep-rooted reference to Sonic.

4. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    This is mostly just coincidences.

I just remembered this one time in a Redwall book (been years, can't remember which one) where a hedgehog jumped on a vermin while curled up. It struck me as a reference to Sonic, because in Redwall, Hedgehogs aren't particularly agile most of the time, they're usually slower guys who use their natural suit of armor to their advantage.

5. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
    So wait a minute. I'm not familiar enough with the Redwall novels, but would you say that Sonic's world as depicted in the original 1991-'94 canon is in many ways a human-sized Redwall?

6. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    I think the best way to answer that is with a stream on conciseness about Redwall:
    The creatures in Redwall have medieval technology. The most common threat are groups of nomadic "vermin" (weasels, rats, stoats), while the good guys are more benign rodents (mice, hedgehogs, badgers, shrews, rabbits). There's a tribe of sparrows living in the upper levels of Redwall Abby, which the main characters seemed bizarrely complacent with in spite of having almost no communication with them, and kind of viewing them as a threat. They establish favorable relations during the first book, but it's implied that they've been using the attic of Redwall as a dwelling contrary to the rodents' wishes. In the first book, there was a horse and wagon sized for humans, but no horses, humans, or any other human sized objects have been seen since. Probably the most endearing part of the books is that they aren't about one set of characters, the main characters age and die off over the course of the serise and are replaced by new ones. For some reason, the good guys are almost always excellent fighters in spite of receiving no training, formal of otherwise, and are able to outfight the nomadic raiders even when outnumbered. They also carry bizarrely large amounts of food with them whenever they travel. As in, I think their packs are made from clown carnium.

7. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Nah, only that of Sonic and the Black Knight, really.

8. dooky

dooky

Teeny tiny thing that may well be common knowledge, but I've never seen referred to before...

Similar to the scratches in the Metropolis Zone theme, you can mess with the Sandopolis Act 1 music when pausing. Specifically, there's an effect applied to the first note of the melody (sadly I don't know what this called, but something very similar shows up inthe Sky Chase music a lot). Anyway, if you pause, then unpause, the same effect will happen to the next note played (of the same melody, of course).

I always wondered about this - Some sort of extra effect added over the top of the main music? I know it's a minor thing, but I'd love some insight into what's really going on there.

9. Flygon

Flygon

If you mean a note being kept in play, than I know exactly what you mean, I have had it happen plenty of times in Shining Force when it is in transition. It is a wild guess, but perhaps it has something to do with stopping the music but a 'sample' keeps playing?

10. dooky

dooky

I believe that's the case with the Metropolis Zone, but here, the effect occurs once you un-pause the game. The next note played in the main melody gains an effect that is usually only applied to the first note.

An Eggman-related thing I've never seen mentioned before: I'd have to see the Japanese manual to be certain, but I'm 99% certain that the Sonic Heroes manual's bio of Eggman has a mistranslation. He's described as "a romanticist, a feminist and a self professed gentleman." The "feminist" thing always struck me as weird (albeit hilarious), until I realised that the Japanese word ?????? (which is a transliteration of the English word 'femininst') is more commonly used to mean 'chivalrous'. This would fit much better with the bio, although I'll grant you, it isn't quite as funny.

11. AUX
    CALL
    PUSH SELECT​

Mei Ling: Snake, what's going on out there? You sound sort of... laggy.

Snake: Enough talk about where I am! Where have you been?

Mei Ling: Snake? What's wrong?

Snake: You went undercover yourself and sabotaged the enemy's stronghold! I'd be proud, but you risked our whole operation here, Mei Ling!

Mei Ling: Wha...? But I never...

Snake: I have proof! You were working for that dastardly hedgehog!

[​IMG]

12. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I now cannot stop laughing. Thank you, K2J.

13. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    In Sonic 3 & Knuckles' special stages, when played as Sonic + Tails, the second player can control Tails' jumpings. This can result in Tails being dragged through red spheres and star spheres, not to mention that he can also jump while you're actually collecting the emerald. I will upload a video on youtube later.

14. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

15. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    My brother did this all the time back when we would play together, just so he could piss me off. jumpjumpjumpjumpjumpjumpjump

16. Have I mentioned yet that the cutscene immediately following the final boss of SA2 has music that sounds suspiciously like the drowning music? It starts at about 1:54 of "Event: 3 Black Noises" of the Multidimensional OST.

17. GT Koopa

GT Koopa

Elgin, IL
    Flicky Turncoat DX, T.L.W.S. Vs M.G.W.
    [​IMG]
    Forgive me if this is known already but...

Why is it when you are down to one life in Mushroom Hill Zone Knuckles fights Robotnik instead of Eggrobo?

18. NintendoBrad

NintendoBrad

Yeah, I always wondered why Robotnik randomly appeared there, but I had no idea it occurred when Knuckles had only one life until you pointed it out.

19. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
  20. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining