don't click here

General Character Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    <!--quoteo(post=290037:date=Mar 14 2009, 08:44 PM:name=Vincent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vincent @ Mar 14 2009, 08:44 PM) [​IMG] TD[​IMG]

WIP

Oh and
    Here is Tails .AI source! ^^[/quote]

I don't like the white light spot on Sonic (as it would not be seen under tv mode) and the part above the eye is darker in the uberized version, the older is cooler. Other than that great work.

2. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Agreed. That lighter shading on above the eye in the TD version added a great deal of emotion that is lost in the current take.

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I was getting a bit tired yesterday night, completely removed those shapes!

Anyway, updated rev. (The trail is going to be Alpha blended guys) ;)
    [​IMG]

4. Drex

Drex

Lazy perfectionist Member
    Much better. I love it, seriously.

5. GARY M 9

GARY M 9

Just noticed this, what's with Sonic's right leg? It looks all broken and like some weird oval.

6. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    [quote name='GARY 'M 9' post='290575' date='Mar 16 2009, 04:05 PM']Just noticed this, what's with Sonic's right leg? It looks all broken and like some weird oval.[/quote]
    If you're referring his right, then yeah, it does look kinda....funky. Don't see a problem with the other one, though.

7. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some comparisons placing this against the NTSC scanline:

Red: Tail's fur in the new version is actually facing directly towards us - his body should be facing to the right. Remove the tufts on the right (And round his belly off), and it'll fix a lot of perspective issue.

Blue: Hand should be more hidden

Green: This orange part of the ear is too thick

Purple: Grey area of ear - should either be shrunk a lot, or not visible at all (Ear pointing away from us, maybe?)

Also, I tried lining this sprite up over the original, and it just doesn't fit o_O. Might just be me, but if I line up the feet over each other, tails' head is too high & his body is too far left.

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Thanks, guys! ^^

And thanks Tyr for the critique, but do aknowledge the following revision as my latest "Official" WIP Tails Art:

[​IMG]

The.AI source is on the Database, and I won't lie a finger on the fox, until basic Sonic frames are completed.
    Anyone wanting to seriously help me remastering / fixing him you're free to do! ^^

9. RevFirst

RevFirst

Sorry for going off-topic here but how does Illustrator compare to my Photoshop+Flash combo? From my lack of knoweledge, I'd say Illustrator's just Flash without the ability to animate. :v:

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    I don't know your setup in details,
    but Illustrator management of shades and especially "pixel perfect aligned" vectors, make it stand on top for both accuracy and producing actual quality in-game frames.

To maximize compability, If you do use latest Flash versions, (especially the new CS4 version)it should be pretty portable to Illustrator.
    Said this, If you're about to try anything fresh new(but non-Illustrator), ONLY stick to latest program versions.

11. RevFirst

RevFirst

At the moment, I have Flash CS4 (and Photoshop CS3 if that matters) but I see what you mean. Now for me to try out this program. :v:

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Don't forget to check out my Illustrator's HD Drawing Tutorials RevFirst. ^^

If anything, I need lots of help on Character area.
    Except talent (which is useless without set minds), I will aid anyone strong-willed and determined enough to learn all what needs to "Officially" be a S2HD Character Artist.

Both Tails & Knuckles framesets are available at the moment, so feel free to choose a frame and experiment your art in WIP Art topic.

13. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    Vincent has given you the official word but I have to disagree with him entirely :P

The software you use is irrelevant; it's the artwork you produce in the end that matters. As long as it is in a format we can use, is of good quality and meets all of the guidelines then you will have a good piece of work :)

14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    That's very untrue! :colbert:

Doing Combos (Photoshop + Flash importing) will destroy all the automated aliasing control, therefore cause severe garbled pixels discrepancies on animated frames!
    As specified earlier, Character Art require (a single) Vector program capable of outputting pixel perfected edges during animations or in the end it could just be a beautiful yet "Unusable" Mockup!

EDIT:

Moar WIP Running!

Uber[​IMG]TD[​IMG]

15. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
    I must say, that Sonic just gets more and more win embedded within it every time you update it. I bow to you good sir, and thoroughly intend to enjoy this to the maximal extent possible once it is released.

16. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I love the Sonic, it matches the sprite perfect, so why can't you get Tails the same way? He doesn't even come close to looking like the sprite. He's not even shaped the same. When you overlay the sprite, it looks so much differnt than the HD version.

So, why is Tails so much harder to get right than Sonic, in shape? This Tails is much taller built than his sprite was. He has more of his newer style shape to him, than classic. I might attempt to make a better base tommorow, or atleast get a basic shape done, never used Illistrator before though, so not sure how that will work out.

17. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
  18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  19. Chaos Knux

Chaos Knux

Stable avatar temporary. Randomizer site down. Banned
  20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    TD refers to the art that was actually used in the tech demos.