don't click here

WIP General Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Oct 2, 2008.

1. Hi guys, finally got around to posting in the trial request thread :D

I'd like to say that the work you're doing on S2HD is by and large outstanding, and the attention to detail is very nice too!

I've recently been practising in Blender, and decided to try and make the Rings animations.

I don't know how to upload images to the forum (If it has that feature o_O), so for now I've uploaded to imageshack:

[​IMG]

I know it's not all that good for now, but I'm happy to refine it / take criticism.

I also have each of the individual sprites saved too, and can generate more if needed.

2. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    First, thanks for this great remastering! We're putting trough our best to make S2HD shine, and your contribution is much appreciated! ^^

As per critiques, please do render it at the same exact size of the original 4X, so to easily spot changes or suggest improvements.
    An animated Gif (or better APNG) would also help alot.

EDIT: Added animated gif for future comparisons :)

[​IMG]

3. Re-done at what should be the correct size.
    Oddly, in the original the ring was a 16x16px ring - when rotated this would actually go outside the box (Due to thickness).

Ring sheet:
    [​IMG]

APNG:
    [​IMG]

I think I may have made the animation backwards, but that's easily changeable.

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    The original size is 64x64px:
    [​IMG] :)

As per suggestions:
    -I would add some kind of more golden shading texture
    -Center the animation one the 5th frame (the vertical [] one)
    -And yes, it's backwards!

5. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
  6. Some more changes:

APNG:
    [​IMG]

Sheet:
    [​IMG]

Changes:
    - More golden shading, and other colour corrections to make it a lot closer to the original colours
    - Ring is slightly larger (It wasn't 4x before)
    - Ring is thinner (Actually ring shaped now, before it was doughnut shaped...)
    - Rotating the right way!
    - Rotation is dead-centred.

7. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    The bright white light spot shoulc be bigger and th light should come from the top on the middle frame. I think the light on the original started on the right side then gradually moved to the top on each frame. Is it possible to make as a test? If it is it would be cool. And use the parallel perspective (by getting vey far from the ring and zooming in).

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Great! ^^
    It's significantly better now! (and you nailed a cartoony look, which is definitely a plus)

Suggestions:

Comparison
    [​IMG][​IMG]

-It should be a bit larger
    -Pay attention to keep the center shared for all the frames, as it seems now, its revolving point is slightly outside ring itself.
    -Using the same colour shades gives out a nice cartoony effect, but many items will look very metalli-ish in comparison.
    You can add "a bit" of more colour shades and spotlight intensity for volume's sake.

9. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I always thought the Sonic 2 rings were a bit skinny. I think that the rings might do with some lighter patches too. >.<

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I like how the ring in no way goes with the character artwork.

It looks completely out of place when put next to the background and characters. It should be hand drawn for consistency.

11. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    What happened to the ring someone did a while ago, that was based on the giant ring from Sonic 1?

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Hand drawn Ring frames has been discontinued by the author, therefore if no one can provide them in vectors (which is very hard) other remastering techniques must be properly experimented, before reaching haste judgement/ shutting down options.

I'm sure this ring will turn out great with proper tweaks, so..Go on TyrantWave! ^^

13. I've just noticed why the ring appears to be wobbling (It is centred in all frames) - perspective.
    I've managed to fix this now, so it should be good :)

I've done 4 mock ups here, to see what people prefer:
    (I've put the original sheet beneath the image as well)

1) Light source is from the top (Like the 5th frame). Perspective is on.
    [​IMG]

2) Light source is to the right (Like the first frame). Perspective on.
    [​IMG]

3) Light source from the right, perspective off.
    [​IMG]

4) Light source above, perspective off.
    [​IMG]

I've also:
    - Made the ring 64x64px
    - Made the light glow more Sonic like.

In the original sheet, the sonic team seemed to have done one of two things:
    - Either move the light source
    - Or they made all 8 frames with the light source above the 5th frame (More likely)

14. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
  15. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I'm liking number 4 quite a bit. Great job on that TyrantWave. Any other suggestions on this before it's approved guys?

E: Welcome to S2HD Gambit. Not to take away from the work you've put into your ring, as it's a great render, but I'm not sure it has the cartoony feel we're after. I'm not familiar with Maya's hypershader, but does it have a toon shader you could try re-rendering that with? It's looking quite shiny and metallic at the moment; from what I've seen it's more a of soft yellow golden hue that most people find pleasing. Also, is there a slight bevel along the interior curve of the ring? Could just be the lighting, but if there is a bevel it would need to be smoothed out.

Comparisons:

TyrantWave:
    [​IMG]

Gambit:
    [​IMG]

16. Here's the rings with animations:

1) [​IMG]

2) [​IMG]
    (The side's cut off, but I dunno why o_O. It rendered fine. Ah well)

3) [​IMG]

4) [​IMG]

17. RedStripedShoes

RedStripedShoes

And I'm gone again. Member
  18. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    That's actually a reflection of the ring itself. Maya does have toon shaders that I could play with, but I always saw the rings in sonic games as shiny and metallic. I'll mess around with the toon shaders and see if I can get some satisfactory results with those.

Yeah, I can send you the file. It won't work unless you have 2009, though. If you don't have 2009, I can just give you a rough description of what I did. I only actually have two lights hitting that object.

19. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    I prefer Gambit's rings; TyrantWave's are good but are too yellow for my liking.

20. Endgame

Endgame

Formerly The Growler Member
    I'd like to see a mockup with both versions of the ring first - along with the background & Sonic and such - before I can say which fits in better.

And please don't forget a comparison with an original Sonic 2 screenshot :)

Maybe someone could do the mockup, but just animate the rings? (like an animated gif with just the rings moving); The same goes for the original game image, too.