don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Vipershark

Vipershark

This game is supposed to take place AFTER S3&K, correct? If I recall correctly, I read that the Super Emeralds are going to be in this game, so that means Hyper Sonic will be too.

I "made" this.
    [​IMG]
    It's a pretty crappy edit, but I think it gets the point across.
    Red eyes, longer quills, and uses the S3 HS palettes. No extra colors since the eye colors come from the shoes and there is the same amount of fur shades.

But that was before I saw Cinossu's oldskool edit, so I made this.
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I think the current Sonic and Super Sonic should stay as-is, with Hyper Sonic having the extremely long quills.

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
  3. Dr. Mecha

Dr. Mecha

Dallas, TX
    3d Models
    From this I concluded one thing, we a single sprite base (preferably standing pose) so we can make animations of that style. So for now we got Sonic, and thus needed to be put on the front page on this topic as a reminder that this is what we're sticking to. Same goes for the rest of the characters of this game.

4. Vipershark

Vipershark

5. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Meh, personally I liked the idea of having old school quills for Super Sonic and Hyper Sonic.
    Those other quills seem a little bit, lacking to me.

6. Matwek

Matwek

So far no intention of putting super emeralds in this game, so no hyper sonic

7. Vipershark

Vipershark

ah, I see.

I thought I read a few pages back that they were in, but whatever

8. Matwek

Matwek

You have to be careful what you read in the discusion topics, people have a tendancy to charge off on a tangent when discussing an idea and before you know it you have people complaining about something that hasn't even been aproved to be in the game in the first place. Happens a lot in the art sections as well with people confusing concept work with final work.
    Unless its clearly stated as final/approved work then I suggest you try not to take things too literally.

9. Firion

Firion

If I may, I believe someone earlier stated that there would be a damaged Robotnik/Eggman/whatever sprite for when each boss machine reaches a critical point? Will this be a standard 'half health, the machine is suddenly smoking' sprite set, or will the machine wear down with each hit? (less bells and whistles, parts flying off, along with smoking and Robotnik going :) ).

Personally, I can see the latter as the better option, but it may be too complicated to animate a sprite made of several different parts that animate WITH the Robotnik machine. Any ideas?

10. Matwek

Matwek

Well as the games progressed Robotiks machines did tend to be constructed from more parts so I imagin that trend will be followed, whether or not they will be utilised in showing damage is undecided. I would go into detail as to how I think it should work but this isn't really the topic for it.

11. Rokkan

Rokkan

12. Vipershark

Vipershark

<!--quoteo(post=283845:date=Feb 25 2009, 10:21 PM:name=Rave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rave @ Feb 25 2009, 10:21 PM) [​IMG]
    It's a pretty crappy edit, but I think it gets the point across.
    Red eyes, longer quills, and uses the S3 HS palettes. No extra colors since the eye colors come from the shoes and there is the same amount of fur shades.

But that was before I saw Cinossu's oldskool edit, so I made this.
    [​IMG]
    Personally, I think the current Sonic and Super Sonic should stay as-is, with Hyper Sonic having the extremely long quills.[/quote]

Sup Vipershark. Rokkan here btw.
    What's with the Pixeltendo gayfest popping up here?
    Anyway, to keep you informed:
    1st- I think it has been pretty well decided that there will be no Hyper Sonic in the game. 7 C.E.s are enough.
    2nd - Chimpo's suspended, so I guess your question won't be answered for some time, but I'll take a guess that he's actually working on the Super Sonic sheet until you came up with this. Or you're just doing what he was very specific about not doing: Editing works instead of producing and helping him with the sheet.

EDIT: Damn, didn't see that extra page, Matwek already replyied.
    [/quote]
    Oh, hey Rokkan.
    all of the PT people are coming because OSM (Pieman) told us to come and help

but back on topic, I apologize for not reading more thoroughly and whatever.

As for the Robotnik thing, I think it'd be really cool to have parts flying off and stuff with every hit but this is supposed to look like a Genesis game, right? Not only do I think it'll be too much work to make an entirely new set of animations for each "hit" and robotnik's movements afterwards, but also the only game that I remember that happening on is Sonic CD, which I don't think is what this game is really aiming for.

edit- Also has Chimpo actually released the sonic sheet? I don't recall seeing it anywhere.

13. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Chimpo is still working on the sheet. Also he's on enforced afk for a while, so if you're posting things in the hope that he'll see and comment on them, don't bother for a while.

14. Matwek

Matwek

Although I would suggest people don't just stop working on things whilst they wait for him to come back, still plenty of other stuff to get done.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Well, yes, obviously. Not like this project's had a history of that, though. =P

Prove me wrong, people. Get spriting!

16. Ice Sonic

Ice Sonic

Ice Cap
    No, I am not working on any hack, fanart, or website.
    The problem is that I don't know how.

17. Matwek

Matwek

Worth giving it a go, I never tried it before till this project started, what I come up with may not be amazing but it gives people something to work from.
    Start with some simple stuff and see how it goes, rings, moniter icons, springs, thats sort of thing

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
  19. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    As a whole, I think Aquaslash's Super Sonic has better quills than Cinossu's, but I think Cinossu got it right that the top needed to be longer. So:

[​IMG]

(new=right)
    I just stretched the top quill up three pixels, but I kept the horizontal endpoint the same.

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I MUCH prefer Cinossu's.