don't click here

Sonic Megamix

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Stealth, Feb 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Upthorn

Upthorn

TAS Tech Member
    Man it is hilarious how hitaxas comes out of nowhere with some bullshit (impossible bullshit, no less) he made up and everyone is like ;) DAMN YOU TWEAKER I NEED MY SAVESTATES :eng101:

2. Metal Knuckles

Metal Knuckles

HAVE SOME FUN WITH MIKU Member
    New Hampshire, USA
    Shadow Alpha, an awesome hack of Sonic 1
    I was just mentioning an alternative method to unlocking stuff. Jesus guys, no need to get into technical discussions about it. This thread is for pissing off Team Megamix with our constant nagging and annoying requests, not intelligently talking about the code behind the game...

3. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    Yeah, people are a bit too serious, they should have know that is impossible to do a no save state routine, still it was quite funny.
    About no level select code, I applaud you, but I think you guys should keep it, after all is a tradition of all the genesis sonic trilogy.

4. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie
    So if there is no level select code, will the hidden Act 4's be playable in some bonus way?

5. God, I step away for a few weeks and look what happens.

Good to hear, kids. I'm excited as always when it comes to Megamix news. And as it has always been in the past, if you guys want me for anything, lemme know, and I'll bust out the ol' spriting mouse.

But in all seriousness, this is good news all around.

6. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Umm, They'll come after act 3 like any other level.

7. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I wasn't aware that you knew exactly how Act 4 levels were meant to be accessed, nor that you were a part of our team.

Act 4 levels will be accessible through Extra Mode. You'll have to fill specific requirements to unlock them for play, though, which I won't be sharing with you just yet... ;)

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Collect 6 chaos emeralds.

Beat the game to obtain the last chaos emerald.

Beat a levels in a certain time to unlock them.

?!?!

Profit

9. Ashura96

Ashura96

HEROIC VERSE Oldbie

Isn't supposed to be "????" ?

10. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Just repeating what you've said in the past. ass. :P

11. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    I think you forget the fact that we can, huh, you know, make a savestate in the middle of a level and try multiple times a difficult move without any penalty =P

12. Watkins

Watkins

Which ruins the sense of accomplishment you would feel if you were to overcome said move without any assistance from savestates. =P

13. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Wouldn't it be the same case with loading a savestate from another game? =P

14. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    In this case, it would be like that. With most Sonic romhacks however, it works. The reason it doesn't work in Megamix is probably because of the memory values for the level select pretty much being completely moved to a different area of the file. Normally, it's also possible to just load a save file where the level select cheat has been entered and then hold A and press start in a rom hack as well... haven't tested that one, but it's more likely something similar to that would work than just trying to load the level select screen.

I remember using a similar trick on a few Sonic 2 rom hacks.

15. DDRKhat

DDRKhat

Keep on runnin' to the finish! Member
    You fail at beating the system, DimensionWarped. And besides, save-states to beat a video game? since when did we all become that poor at being video games? Yeah the level layouts can be difficult at occasions but their not impossible or awkwardly hard. (I would argue this case on the final boss but we're not even sure that the original final boss will remain in the game). So rather than degrading your gaming ability gradually by using a lifeline of save-states, use your own reflexes and get better that way rather than depending on a method of cheating that was never an option with the Hardware.

16. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    I don't need cheats or any savestates. I just play through the game and enjoy it. I like it to unlock things instead of cheating then. Or all the surprise is... Yeah... Simply gone.

17. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    What are you talking about? He explained exactly why most hacks can be cheated in by loading a save state from the original game, as well as one solid reason why it doesn't work in Megamix. How is that trying to "beat the system"?

I'm getting beyond irritated with this now. Do not speak for Team Megamix. If someone asks us a question, then we'll answer it. There's no use in anyone else butting in at this point, because as it seems a large majority of people who try have absolutely no idea what they're talking about. I don't want to have to re-lock this thread so early on, so cut the crap and everything will go smoothly.

And no, that doesn't mean you should flood in with replies that consist of something like "Didn't you listen to Tweaker? Stop that!", because that's just as annoying. Just... stop.

18. Ridiculum

Ridiculum

...Anyways, YAY, Megamix is back!

Naturally, a few questions come to mind. Firstly, I remember you guys wanted to do something for Knuckles' special ability (I just can't remember what it was), but ended up not doing it. Planning to implement this in the next build, or just do something different?
    Secondly, planning on adding any more levels? Or just keeping the existing ones?

19. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    It isn't about "beating the system", it's about gaining a better understanding of the whole underlying concepts of computing. I've actually learned quite a bit just bouncing theories about various glitches and why certain things work and don't work off the boards here.

Whats really interesting though is the old Sonic 3 level select trick for people who couldn't seem to get up up down down up up up up right which involved entering the Sonic 2 level select cheat and then replacing the cartridges. It's pretty awesome that the addresses were the same between completely different games, but when you consider the method of development for the genesis titles, it makes complete sense.

20. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Maybe it's because I was playing some Sonic CD earlier but because Megamix is on the Mega CD I think it would be cool to see a unique intro video of sorts if possible, so I just spent 10 minutes making a simple mock up just because, well, why not?

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.