don't click here

Basic Questions & Answers thread

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Tweaker, May 29, 2008.

1. Anthall

Anthall

Spambot Member
    Leicester, UK
    Sonic the Hedgehog - The Final Showdown
    Certain hacks are not Megadrive/Genesis format games though, which are:

Sonic the Hedgehog GBA/Sonic Advance 3:Extreme Manseckz - Requires VisualBoyAdvance which you can get at http://info.sonicretro.org/VisualBoyAdvance
    Sonic 1 Megamix/Sonic for MegaCD - Requires Sega CD Bios Files (Google it, legal issues) but they run in Gens/Kega Fusion.

2. OMG I'm playing s1k I think I am going to cry. I waas 10 years old playing with my sister and we thought we needed to win all the special stages to unlock him. It was impossibly hard and now I finally get to play this. I'm soooo happy!!!

Ok will learning how to use kega was pretty easy. I also have a visualboyadvanced emulator. It seems like most of the hacks that are avalible are games changes to sonic 1 and 2. I see a few games for sonic CD but I am having a bit of trouble trying to get them open. I'm still playing with it. Most of the games that I played are of pretty high quality though.

I even took notes while playing and could write a review of one of the hacks.
    Are there any sonic retro games that are totally new, not remakes or hacks of the other sonic games?

Also I found an artist on myspace that writes 32 bit and 8 bit songs that are "sonicy" I'm pretty sure the artist does not mind other people using his work as long as he is given credit for it, I am going to double check with my web admin of the artist. If the artist says its ok to use the music in the game where should I post it?

Recap:
    1) Should I post a review, my thoughts on a hack?, and where?
    2) Can I have more details about sonic cd games?
    3) Are there any sonic retro games that are totally new not remakes? ok I found the sonic retro made games after a while of looking.
    4) Where should I post ideas about new music?

And thank you guys again.

3. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    I cannot believe what I just read; the games for the SEGA CD aren't Sonic CD ISO hacks, infact they're either:
    Sonic Megamix
    or
    Sonic for Mega CD​

Grab the bios from Sonic Stuff and open the Mega CD games in Kega; it's best to do this as Gens and Gens+ may not work as desired: I had problems with them upon trying to play Sonic CD.

Finally, can you please, you know, type? I do realise I'm probably going to get myself killed, but, it saddens me to see a person who can't type, especially on a somewhat sophisticated forum like this.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Not only is it not your place to judge the typing ability of other people who decide to post on this forum, but I see absolutely no problem with the way he's typing. I would ask you to elaborate, but I don't particularly care; just don't start criticizing other peoples' typing, please. If there's a problem, the staff will take care of it--not you.

5. His typing isn't that bad either.

1. In the hack's topic I suppose
    2. Sega CD games? <_< There's only one Sonic CD
    3. Sonic games from scratch? Sonic 2 HD and Project Sonic Retro are community games made from scratch.
    4. What do you mean?

6. filmzombie

filmzombie

The real spindash... Member
    England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Someone not so long ago posted a decent guide explaining how to start editing colour palettes.

I read it, it seemed like it was good. Alas, unfortunately it lacked the necessary pictures (they were no longer hosted) to actually explain what it was talking about.

So does anybody else know if there are any other picture/video guides? Would really help.

Also- Nineko's music software is still failing on my computer. I downloaded it but it keeps claiming its "missing a neccessary component" to launch.

Does anybody know as to why this is?

7. Thank you for defending me. I was waiting eagerly for a replay to the post that I made only to get flamed. I thought we only had trolls on the wow forums but I was wrong apparently ...

I found music that is "sonicy" and I want to share it with everyone else on the forums. I think I found the right location on the web page for it. I'll make a post about it later. Thank you all for your help.

8. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Get xm4smps already.
    I was so happy when Puto decided to release it, because I was tired to keep on answering the same questions over and over again.
    xm3smps is discontinued, and so is the tech support towards it. Turn page guys.

9. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    I did, after you gave me the link to yours and it failed. Unfortunately the same problem occurs for both.

Ultimately- this means one of the following two options are likely;

-That my computer is lacking a neccessary component as the software suggests...

-Or that I am a total and utter failure with starting things, as per usual.

But yes- I cant give you any more detail then that.

10. SMTP

SMTP

Tech Member
    Usually those error messages tells what DLL is missing exactly...

11. I still use xm3smps <_<. Always will (ok maybe not always but for now.)

You need VB6 runtime files. If it says it's missing a DLL file, google it, place it in your system32 folder. Then google on how to register dll files. once you do that it'll run correctly.

12. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Or just put it in the same folder as xm3smps, which is the easier thing to do.

But I think you should tell us what's wrong with xm4smps first, filmzombie.

13. nineko

nineko

italy
    No, VB5.

*sigh*

Once more, xm3smps requires three files:
    • msvbvm50.dll
    • mscomctl.ocx
    • mscomct2.ocx
    Believe me when I say that this doesn't happen by my choice, I hate when a program needs other files to run, but this is how Windows works and we must live with it.
    Those three files can be placed either in windows\system32 OR your xm3smps folder.
    However, if you're running Vista, you're pretty much screwed. Since I'm running the superior XP, I can't give you detailed instructions about how to fix things in Vista.

14. amphobius

amphobius

doing more important things with my life Member
    life
    It's actually pretty identical to XP, actually, same error messages, et cetera. There is a system32 folder, aswell, but there's also a system folder. Just keep an eye for the 32 on the end, or you'll shit yourself. Plopping the VB5 files in the xm3smps folder is pretty self explainatory, however.

15. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Alright, I'm Vista but I'll run searches on them soon.

There is nothing wrong. I have tried both and both are missing components. It just so happens I asked Nineko first how he transferred music into his games and he sent me the link to xm3smps first.

16. Aeronaut

Aeronaut

Dirt Under Your Bed Zone
    Sonic: Parallel Lines
    Hi, my first post so far, nice to write here^^..

Well I started a Sonic2 Hack based on Xenowhirls disassembly, but I want to get rid of Tails and the Only-Sonic-Mode.
    Because of the search-function I found a way to edit the non-split .bin with the Hexeditor, but when I want to build it, Tails is with us again..

Now I need to find a way to edit the .asm, right?
    Well because it's my first project, maybe somebody can tell where to start?

Greets aeronaut

AddIt:
    @nineko: ^^... Seriously, which changes have to be made, that my built get Sonic-Only, too?

17. nineko

nineko

italy
    <!--quoteo(post=282023:date=Feb 21 2009, 03:11 PM:name=Aeronaut)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Aeronaut @ Feb 21 2009, 03:11 PM) [​IMG]</a>
    NOTEPAD.EXE</div>

18. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    <!--quoteo(post=282026:date=Feb 21 2009, 02:19 PM:name=nineko)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nineko @ Feb 21 2009, 02:19 PM) [​IMG]</a>
    NOTEPAD.EXE</div>
    [/quote]
    Notepad++.
    Stuff loads very quickly, including the Sonic & Knuckles disasm which can take longer in other editors.

19. Aeronaut

Aeronaut

Dirt Under Your Bed Zone
    Sonic: Parallel Lines
    Oh you probably didn't understand..

I'm not sure what I have to overwrite in the .asm file to switch to sonic-only-mode??

So PUSH

20. Spanner

Spanner

The Tool Member
    Replace InitPlayers with this:
    Code (ASM):
    2. InitPlayers:
    3.     move.b  #1,(MainCharacter).w ; load Obj01 Sonic object at $FFFFB000
    4.     move.b  #8,(Sonic_Dust).w ; load Obj08 Sonic's spindash dust/splash object at $FFFFD100
    5.     rts
    6. ; End of function InitPlayers
    Now make the first part of word_917A like this:
    Code (ASM):
    1. word_917A:
    2.     dc.w $0FF ; only one choice available - Sonic Alone
    3.     dc.w Player_option  ; 1
    Then make the following changes:
    Code (ASM):
    2. off_92DE:
    3.     dc.l byte_97FC ; "Sonic Alone"
    If this works for you, you'll only be able to make Sonic playable with the player select solely listing Sonic Alone.