don't click here

Hidden Palace Zone removed late

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by NickW, Jan 13, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NickW

NickW

I know you'd be thinling that this post is that Hidden Palace was removed late. Well, apparently, it was removed before the manual was even made.

Since we have a Beta title screen picture in our manual (http://s2beta.com/magpics8.php), I can probably conclude that Hidden palace's removal wasn't a quick job.

Since it seems that the I can conclude that Hidden Palace wasn't removed right before the final. However, I could still be wrong.

2. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    So what you're saying is that Hidden Palace was removed late. Well, when looking into the Sonic 3 level select, I assume you're right :P

3. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Do you think somewhere there's a Japaneese Beta Manual with Hidden Palace in? <_<

4. dtrr138

dtrr138

no.

5. Timecrash

Timecrash

I, Timecrash, will knock you all down! Member
    Could you elaborate somehow? Why not?

6. NickW

NickW

Removed late, but before our manual was made.

7. yep I thought the removal of hidden palace was like the last edit before the final was release, well one of them anyway.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Short but affective. :(

If there's a hidden palace picture found for the level select why not? <_<

9. TechSonic

TechSonic

For once I know exactly why Hidden Palace was removed. I will tell you the truth and this is the real reason, you don't have to believe.

My source won't be shown, because this answer came direct from Sonic Team when I asked about it several years ago.

Hidden Palace was removed right at the last second because they were about to be late for the due date.

They had a problem, they ran out of memory. So they took out Hidden Palace zone because it was the perfect size to free up that memory so it would fit on the cart. However, in this hurry, they wrote a code that "skips" the Hidden Palace zone and takes you to the next one. that's why, even in the final Sonic 2, you still have some Hidden Palace stuff left over.

10. ClavierTekky

ClavierTekky

Wow... interesting thought...

11. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I can't make any sense out of this whole topic, aarrrrrggghh!! :o

Except for L0st's post, that is.

12. NickW

NickW

I will make it clear then.

Sega probably removed Hidden Palace before they created our manual, becuase the backniks, and level info for Hidden Palace aren't in the manual.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...But the pics could come from a version with Hidden Palace anyway.

14. Crysta

Crysta

Oldbie
    and why would it have been in the manual? it WAS HIDDEN Palace, was it not? :P

15. Timecrash

Timecrash

I, Timecrash, will knock you all down! Member
    Interesting theory, Tech. It sounds logical.

16. Nemesis discovered that if you take out the water in HPZ on the Sonic 2 cart, the level actually plays.

17. ClavierTekky

ClavierTekky

As in with all the sprites filled in?

Because you can play it using the Game Genie codes...

18. If you got that answer directly from Sonic Team, then there's no doubt. There is no longer a secret to Hidden Palace Zone. We know all about it.

Things I know:

It was removed because of time and memory on cart and because it was supposed to be a secret level, the gameplay was never finished.

The master emerald in the level is not supposed to be the master emerald. It's not even supposed to be a breakable object for Sonic to go in. Instead, you were supposed to step on a switch that would raise the watter level. The emerald was supposed to be a "plug" that would dissapear when the water touched it. However, you never see it dissapear because by the time you got their, the emerald would be gone. You'd then go into the tunnel, and continue the level.

Music was never really defined for the level.

The level still exsists in the final verson of the game, but because the data for it was removed, it loads mostly data from Oil Ocean Zone. That's accually kind of ironic, becasuse both HPZ and OOZ were painted by the same guy, Craig Sitt.

It possibly could have been a Tails only level because there is a Tails one-up monitor in the level. I think for the same reason, that the level was unlockable as a two player only level if not a Tails level.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.