don't click here

New Sonic the Hedgehog Retrospective

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by TheRedEye, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Great retrospective! Really interesting seeing all the details of Sonic's conception from another point of view, and I was surprised—yet at the same time, not so much—by some of the reactions to Sonic's localization changes. Indeed, I suppose the US redesigns—while juvenile and sometimes detrimental from an aesthetic perspective—really contributed largely towards Sonic's success abroad.

What I think would be fantastic would be something like this, but focused on ideas that never made it past the drawing board. A "Sonic-secrets-spective," if you will. I always thought it that, given Sonic's immense success over the years, such a thing would certainly catch the interest of thousands as they caught our interest as a collective.

Great insight, though! Thanks for sharing. :)

I don't want to seem condescending or anything like that—I don't know how aware you are of recent ongoings around here—but you do know who Dean is, right? Because he happens to be the person to come up with the very "Dr. Robotnik" name mentioned in that video you posted.

Granted, that doesn't have anything to do with the Japanese influence, which I believe as it's been mentioned more than once, but I do think that Dean has a bit more insight than most when it comes to Sonic's early design bits. Just saying. :v:

2. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    Wow, I didn't know Sega of America actually redesigned him. All this time I thought it was all Oshima. But it was cool seeing all these Sonic Team and Sega employees. And hearing them go in depth.

3. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Hm. I still want to see what this quirky, surreal, Japanese-flavored Sonic would have ended up like. Mr. Needlemouse is great, but I want to know if it would have ended up playing any differently.

4. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    The bit I loved the best was Naka's comment on the prototype being too fast.

"Sonic Team slowed him down and-"

God dammit.

5. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    youre both right. :v:
    watching it now.. kinda painful... seeing history is subjective.
    ... well I watched 2/4 anyway.

6. Turbohog

Turbohog

I thought it was pretty good. I enjoyed the interviews too. Too bad the last part isn't in HD though. I love HD.

7. TheRedEye

TheRedEye

Researcher
    Any corrections you'd like to make? I'm interested.

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Quite an awesome watch so far (half way into part 2) but I already have some thoughts:

America like usual butcher up everything, this also explains why you had a GHZ boxart for sonic 1 while the UK had a more japanese like box art.

Also about the rock band thing, wasn't that removed due to time and memory problems? ended up being swapped over with the classic "sega" sound sample? or was it originally planned but only removed at the end of development because it a close release time approaching?

9. That's what I was thinking....Anyway, it was very interesting to watch. I liked it.

10. Nemesis

Nemesis

Tech Member
    Probably the most interesting thing for me in those interviews was the news about the Sonic 1 prototype. It sounds like something which was passed around quite a bit. That thing must still exist somewhere. Regular development builds often get overwritten or erased, but a prototype like that is something you keep around. I really hope it surfaces one day.

11. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Pretty much that Sonic 1 prototype bit was the only thing that was interesting. I wish Yuji Naka would tell us more about his work as a programmer rather than a producer. :(

EDIT: Oh yeah, looks like someone still knows how to draw Sonic. :)

12. Machenstein

Machenstein

Sonic had fangs in the original design? Ha ha, that's rich. I never knew Sonic was a vampire hedgehog.

13. Dissent

Dissent

@SailsSez on Twitter Member
    I wanted to watch it, but I stopped watching here:
    [​IMG]

14. Solid SOAP

Solid SOAP

Nut Lord Member
    It's actually quite good though.

15. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
  16. Shoemanbundy

Shoemanbundy

Researcher
    Chicago, Illinois
    selling shoes
    This is pretty great. I would like to say though that it would seem better to have English subs over the Japanese speech. I never liked it when some guy talks over it, and the voice is a bit..distracting I'll say :)

BTW Are you the guy talking throughout most of the whole thing Red?

17. This was a great documentary. Shows how far Sonic really has come.

I wish SEGA would let Sonic Team have the free will to do as they pleased. That would let them create the most epic Sonic game ever.

18. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I don't think they can afford to do anything like that. Maybe that's why SEGA has been so busy with all these new IP's like Project Ringo lately?

19. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
  20. Wicked review. I wanted it to cover sonics history up to today though lol. I never knew that stuff about sonic being designed after people like Michael Jackson and Bill Clinton. The whole Knuckles' shoes colours, being modeled after the Jamaican flag was a cool bit of random info too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.