don't click here

General Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by test-object, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    This is a slightly edited spring from SSV, feel free to edit it or take any ideas from it.

[​IMG]

2. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    Any better?
    I didn't changed the speed, just added a pair of in-between frames. Now it seems 1/2 slower than before

3. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    It's not bad but maybe take away a few frames of the full speed spin would help. I still like the second idea better though.

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
  5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    Perspective - it's being viewed from an angle rather than from level. In this respect, it looks more like something out of Ristar

The jello board is something that I'd expect to see out of Ristar (at best), or any number of other generic platformers. Style seems too soft for Sonic, unless I'm imagining it animating a lot slower than you are.

E: have the star spin faster if you trip it going at a faster speed.

6. Matwek

Matwek

It could work if toned down a bit, I always felt the spring animation was a bit lacking in the old sonic games but the rubber-like material these animations seem to give might be a bit too much as they are.

7. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
    <!--quoteo(post=278215:date=Feb 11 2009, 05:54 AM:name=Diablohead)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Diablohead @ Feb 11 2009, 05:54 AM) [​IMG][/quote]

I fucking love it.

8. Matwek

Matwek

That could be the deciding factor between the type of bonus stage you enter.
    50 rings to set it off but if you set it off slowly you get the less benificial bonus stage, set it off going at speed and you get a bonus stage with better prizes.

9. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

With the run animation being so smooth and the weird jelly spring it looks like this game is going to have a very organic feel to it.

10. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    It's all kind of reminding me of Knuckles Chaotix at this point. The style we're aiming for seems to even be in the exact same vein as it.

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I like your idea of the spring change it's shape but you need to fix the shading. I did my version of the 1st frame and pasted on the other ones only to hve an idea since I don't have time to make the "warp" effect:

[​IMG]

Keep up the good work!

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    He doesn't need to fix anything since the spring was made for his game, not ours.

He's just pitching us the idea.

Which we are totally stealing.

13. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    If you want to avoid the anime / overkill warping effects just make the edges of the spring bend by 2-3 pixels at the most, it would help with the feeling of power.

14. Lol! The animation for Sonic and the spring is really good but I'm starting to think it is too fluent. One of the things that was cool about the old Sonic games was the frammy style of animation. Like watching Sonic move reeeaaalllly slow and watching him hold the same frame of movement for a whole second before switching frame. Did anyone one find the animation from Sonic Advance memorable. Nope. It was too fluent. For some reason less animation looks better. But that's probaply just me.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Yes, it is.

16. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Well, if his game is still under production... he can still take the advice =P

17. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  18. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    I love dithering but that is not the question, I tryied to highlight that we can't have dark red near to the white light spot (unless we have a textured surface). The same example without the dithering:

[​IMG]

19. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    Ah, I see now. The dithering was too distracting for me to understand your case at first, sorry.

20. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    This is not a bad idea, I dare say.