don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    MUCH better, can't wait to see that finished. :v:

2. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    No. Cut shit is worse; the contact of the feet on the ground is almost completely lost, and as a result the new one loses the inferred weight.

3. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    [​IMG]
    Old
    [​IMG]
    New
    [​IMG]
    Height Adjustment

So far, I haven't got complaints from the programmer over the amount of frames, so I'm keeping it. I want this game's animation to be nice and fluid.

The quil can be easily adjusted if you've seen the gal file.

4. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    That walk is shit and so wrong, it's like he is wading through 2 foot of custard, Hell, Chimpo's sig sprite is exactly how a average paced jog should look.

While not exactly a jog please look at this sprites animations: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM1VY7KBIRc

5. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Fucker, if you can animate, help me the fuck out.

6. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I can tell you what the problem is, he doesn't bounce up and down enough. You have his legs bending but he doesn't seem to change height by one or two pixels as he progresses. It looks like he's riding an invisible bike almost.

7. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    D:

I have some spare time today so I'll see what I can do to help. and yeah he needs a little bobbing.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    Yeah what OSM said - needs more "bounce". Also his right foot seems to jump about a bit, but overall I think it's a great start.

9. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Matwek

Matwek

any chance you could put a bit of a side to side head movement on that like you did with the slow jog? I think the straight ahead look should be saved for the next speed up.

11. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
  12. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Looks like Chimpo took my advice in irc :P

Only thing missing is the head is a little too static but I explained to Chimpo already what I mean, the sprite is turning out real nice.

13. OSM

OSM

Doing absolutely nothing
    I used this and the Tails part of my advertisement on the other forums. I made sure the graphics were NOT to be used and are a project exclusive. Should hopefully get some replies soon. We might have one or two big artists helping with this soon. Badassbill is one of them, the other is a member from MFS.

14. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    This is the sprite which I wanted to show that has head bobbing:

[​IMG]

Pardon the pink, transparency seems to not want to work in animation shop.

15. Enzo Aquarius

Enzo Aquarius

20% Cooler. Member
    Canada, eh.
    Sonic TV Scripts, Sonic Comic Wiki Work
  16. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    I'm not editing that sprite any more it was just for the head bobbing example, the sprite comes from a fangame of mine and the original base of that sonic sprite was sprited by showoffboy.

The sprite is also too big for this game.

17. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

I kinda dig that animation, I don't know about the jelly quills though. I can't animate for shit though so I can't really help with the spriting. The walk animation is a bit too much walk and not enough jog, the head seems static. Sonic's head never moved left to right in the full on run, only on the jog animations.

But seeing the sprite animated is pretty nice despite not liking osm's, it looks better in motion and to be honest sonic will be doing a lot of running.

18. These are looking sweet. The fastest one could maybe do with a bit more rendering though, as it looks a bit flat.

This is actually looking awesome. Though, not attacking this sprite particulary, but I would have thought if Tails had a new sprite done officially, it would have had his anfle changed. What I mean is, If you look at the Sonic's sprite from Sonic 2, it is looking directly right. But Sonic 3's is looking partially towards the camera, as is OSM's standing sprite. I can see why it shouldn't be done whilst he is running, but It makes stationery sprites look a bit better in my opinion. Just wanna know what other people think of this.

19. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
  20. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    They've been adjusted.