don't click here

General Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by test-object, Jan 24, 2009.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
  2. Matwek

Matwek

Might be cool to make an even more elaborate transformation for when the bonus stage is opened up.
    But at the moment I'm loving that just for a regular checkpoint

3. Zorayas

Zorayas

The Littlest Oldbie Oldbie
  4. Like the idea of a tramsforming starpost but do not like the bottom part how the outer shell simply 'dissolves' away. Maybe you can make the two peices of the outer shell slide away instead.

5. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    You also want a new colour, each lamp post from 1-2-3 change slightly in colour too along with the silver metal shade, so you want to progress on that too, right now it seems to go from light yellow to a darker orange...

6. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    Maybe sonic could spin round the post loads of times, getting faster each time, then when he gets fast enough, then white screen to the bonus stage?
    Kinda like in Ristar...

Im lovin STHX's signpost anyway.

EDIT; missed a word :P

7. Matwek

Matwek

Im not sure if the spinning is a good idea. I for one rarely enter the bonus stages when im playing so would get kind of annoyed if the 'spinning around the post' animation took place everytime I ran past it. Would be as annoying as in Sonic CD when you have to slow yourself down if you run past a 'Past' or 'Future' by accident.

The animated post is great but I do feel there nees to be a smoother animation between the compact post STHX drew and the original one that I did, maybe with the spinning star starting of slow then picking up speed as it changes.

8. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    That Starpost looks great, but you should still probably make the top bit rotate around for old time's sake.

And obviously have the flashing animation a bit slower.

9. Secret Bonus

Secret Bonus

I'm walking in snake piiiits, oooooOOOOooooh Member
    Yeah, maybe have the bit with the star spin as it it goes up.

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    I already said no to the idea, so we're not going to continue discussing it.

Back to awesome starpost.

11. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Look at how the energy posts open up in Lost Planet for a smooth and cool looking animation.

12. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

I always thought it would look cool if the top bit span with stars trailing from it and a ring slowly opening up until you could jump through it. I also thought it would be neat if you could see into the special stage through the ring, though since we're doing the special stages like outrun it'd most likely suck.

13. Mr. Mash

Mr. Mash

All fanbases are awful Member
    drawing
    I dunno, it looked kinda crappy in Panic on funkotron

By the way, is there a list of Final artwork? Like with Sonic 2 HD?

14. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    But then again, that was a psychotic door, with a very small sprite at that. Spyro games allowed the player to see a little bit into the stage before entering (the skybox), and to me it always looked awesome. Also:

No, but there really should be, if there is any artwork so far in this game that isn't being debated on.

15. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    The Original Post needs changing, that's why we should have started fresh instead of using the old topic unless Chimpo has Mod Powers to edit the Original Post?

16. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Poll Time​
    A:
    [​IMG]

B:
    [​IMG]

C: Both (yashiki like star for normal lampost. Rotating star for bonus stage lampost)

17. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    A but slowed down.

18. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    A would be good if the star has 3 frames of animation and not just 2.

19. Matwek

Matwek

I did attemt that originally but it got really tricky trying to keep the star shape due to the small amount of pixles used, but thats probably just me not being able to do it. That and it greatly increases the amount of animation need as the outside would be flashing alternately between 2 things and the inside would be rotating by 3, although from what I read in the rest of the forum a few extra frames won't be a problem

20. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I actually really like B.

A is nice but I think it spins way to fast.