don't click here

Sonic Dash

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Ollie, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Yeah I have actually before making the decision to use Lua. I had a little go of it but for now I just wanted to see how far I could go with Lua, since I thought that it would be a bigger accomplishment for actually getting a decent game made with Lua script. :P

2. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Shit, I did too. :)

Something designed with the PSP in mind will be awesome though. Make sure you take full advantage of your fancy widescreen!

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    XDDDDDDDD

Stupid question, will there any way for this to run on emulators? =P Seems stupid, but meh, I don't have a PSP and I highly doubt I'll ever have one.

4. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    There is a lua player for Windows so no emulation needed. =P So it'll run at full speed and all. It'll be included in the Tech Demo release.

5. Chaosdynasty

Chaosdynasty

The Elite Master of Nothingness. Member
    Maybe for the level name you could use something like 'Fullgrind Park'.

6. Tets

Tets

one rude dude Oldbie
    I'm not sure if you really mean less or more, but I'm assuming less. Most DS flash cards on the market now are dirt cheap, even the high quality ones. Any online retailer that has service mode batteries available for the PSP probably also has a variety of DS flash cards available in the same price range. I got mine for less than $15 (including micro-sd card). Not that that has anything to do with this project, just putting it out there.

I've often wondered how much you can actually do with LUA, I don't have any personal experience with it. I've never seen LUA used for anything more substantial than badly coded "shells" on the PSP. I hope this actually goes somewhere, having a decent Sonic game on the PSP without having to run an emulator would be so tits.

7. darkspines35

darkspines35

It's Easy Actually. No, seriously. Tech Member
    .V.
    Sanik Adevnt Casters
    Interesting...I can't wait to see some more of this. Atleast this will get me in gear to finally mod my PSP.

8. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Ah finally, I've had a day off College since I've done all the work in advance, so I had a stab at doing a few edits and updates with Dash, progress has been slow, like always too many College Assignments get int he way.

So other than editing a few sprites to lower the file size I've been messing around with a few background ideas but I'm not too sure which one to choose:

Here is the first background:
    [​IMG]
    The Background in the tech demo: (Doesn't really do it much justice, but oh well)
    [​IMG]
    Old mockup with the new background:
    [​IMG]

And the second background:
    [​IMG]
    In Game:
    [​IMG]
    In the old mockup:
    [​IMG]

I personally like the second background to be honest since it makes the level appear less linear with another piece of layout in the background making the level look a bit more dynamic, hopefully with the faded art it doesn't look too confusing, in game. So what do you think I should use? Or have you got a better idea for the background?

9. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Gotta say, that 2 layered screen really does the trick.

10. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Yeah, but it makes me think I can jump on that bridge =/

11. Mastered Realm

Mastered Realm

-
    Oh no, your idea is good but as it is in the BG it should appear smaller than the FG, why don't you put a lot of hills, bridges and plants at 50% of the size as the bg? To make it appear even more 3d as the hill get farther it gets "bluer" (as you did in this bg) but you could put more layers of hills =P. Nice work though.

12. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    [​IMG]

I know it's a bit rushed but you should see where I am going with this: I'll redo it when I have nothing else to do in development. Also, Sik, does that cut out the bridge confusion a bit?

Also, I have a forum up so I can post a few WIP resources and other little unimportant things, it's worth checking out. Just follow the link below:
    Sonic Dash Forum

13. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Joined the forum, the project\s looking good so far :v:

Also, I think that maybe a layer of clouds at the top of the screen may benefit it, as it'll fill the background abit

14. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Yeah, they'll be in, it's just I'm not the greatest at designing clouds, if I don't make some by the time of a tech demo release then I'll add some place holders. Also thanks for joining up. :v:

15. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    That gets rid of it at all.

16. Skaarg

Skaarg

That latest image looks a lot better. Now just throw in some good looking trees, an awesome sky and it'll be perfect.

17. neonsynth

neonsynth

Previously 'SonicVaan' Member
    Germany, Stammbach
    gaming and music production
    Looks awesome so far. :) Also I'm joining the forum for watching your project. :v:

18. Hitaxas

Hitaxas

Retro 80's themed Twitch streamer ( on hiatus) Member
  19. Xeric

Xeric

Workington, England
    S3K Mighty Sheet
    I really don't like those Sonic sprites. I know the sheet they're from have pretty much every sprite you would need but they are poorly made.

Take a look at these.

You'd have to ask permission to use them as the sheet is not public yet, but they are much better than what you are using.

20. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I don't know, I dislike how light he looks in those sprites, I kinda' like the darker shade of Sonic's Fur, like in SA2, hence why I am using the ones at the moment.

But thank you for your suggestion!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.