don't click here

Super Epic Story Book Time!

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Chimpo, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Sonic '06 boasts closure... on itself. Not entirely relevant, but establishing some "elseworld" vibe for P:SR might be.

2. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    "Shadow is dead"
    "No wait he's not"

3. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    I guess that counts as closure. But it reverses itself, so it really isn't. I'm confused again.
    @Jay, Sonic 06 endings always annoy me, especially in games.

4. Yuzu

Yuzu

I never really completed Sonic 06, I was just happy with the ending when Sonic dies. It's the best part of the game.

5. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Well, I was thinking of somehow integrating gameplay styles into the story in a way that would make sense.

If we use this basic storyline as a premise, what if:
    - Sonic chases after Eggman (traditional platforming, busting badniks, speeding through levels)
    - Tails investigates and fixes the shit Eggman fucks up (exploration, SCD-style "destroy the generator/solve a puzzle/blah blah blah" while platforming)
    - Knuckles goes to beat the shit out of Nack (Similar playstyle to Sonic but with more emphasis on punching through walls/fighting bigger swarms of badniks, etc. I believe someone mentioned doing a sort of "rhino charge" with him, which I think would be appropriate)

6. Vaiyt

Vaiyt

Oglio p'ru çeu Member
    Already done. In fucking Shadow The Hedgehog.

Not exactly the kind of thing we wish to replicate.

7. Ell678

Ell678

Am I Annoying You? Member
    Barrow, England
    Sonic Incursion

To me, Knuckles suits the gameplay style you pointed out for Tails. As for Tails, I think him doing Sonic levels but being able to access different areas is a great idea. But then with the Knuckles gameplay, you would need to be careful to not let it get tedious if you are exploring and not make it so you get lost.

But then, why cant they all play similar anyway?

8. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Write it down in the manual.

Or just break the fake ME. Problem solved.

9. Scarred Sun

Scarred Sun

Be who you needed when you were younger Administrator
    Tower 8 ️
    Welp, this.
    Well, that's exactly what I'm talking about—Tails obviously has access to paths that Sonic wouldn't, thus the need to explore those paths and do the whole SCD thing. You're only loading one level map, here. :psyduck:

My main thought on varied gameplay per character is that it would lend more of a replay value than necessarily just "a few alternate paths" per level. Besides, you could even make it so that once you complete Tails or Knuckles' style of gameplay you could use those characters in Sonic-style plain platforming.

10. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Or we could just make it look... fake? like with some small details that would tell us but not knuckles.

11. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    You know, it would be perfectly acceptable to make the fake grey instead of green -- it's a commonly used device in cartoons that the characters can't perceive a difference which is totally obvious to the viewer.

12. Dark Sonic

Dark Sonic

Working on my art!
    After you get all the Super Emeralds in S3&K, the Master Emerald has a glow to it. How about the real emerald has that glow, while the fake is dull and doesn't shine or anything?

13. Matwek

Matwek

I was thinking about this the other day.
    I thought it might be better to right from the start show that its a fake. Have knuckles start in the emerald chamber with the Master emerald just out of shot, Nack apperes with what we think is the Master emerald and runs off with Knuckles following, then the screen scrolls back to the left where we see the origional still in place and robotnick rise up behind it laughing. So we know right from the start knuckles has been tricked.

Then maybe at the end for the first act Knuckles gets hold of the fake after beating the boss, it turns grey then breaks, he looks shocked and Nack starts laughing. Que shot of the island fortress rising and maybe a quick scene back in the emerald chamber where we see its be converted into a cockpit for the fortress with egg bros manning the controls.

14. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    This is the best idea yet.

15. PsychoSk8r

PsychoSk8r

PsychedelAnt | Tone Turner Oldbie
    Birmingham, UK
    30 Day Project: Revisited.A New Release!
    Definately.

16. RamiroR

RamiroR

OMG hahahah, great way to END Sonic's games xD

I think, it would be...great xD, though I don't know if Eggman could reappear, so I dunno, but I like the idea

17. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Robotnik will not die. Bowser didn't die, Ganondorf never died, Dr. Wily, King Dedede, King K. Rool,...
    Don't use Shadow the Hedgehog as a template, this is Sonic Retro, after all.

18. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    http://www.mariowiki.com/Bowser_Bones

Robo-robotnik, anyone?

19. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    Twilight Princess, WindWaker, Legend of Zelda and Oracle of Ages/Seasons would like a word with you.

20. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    There's a difference between killing off and mutating a character. Bowser never DIED, he became undead.
    I am in favor of making Robo-Robotnik though. I'd love to see him fall in the machine which transformed the many woodland creatures into Badniks.