don't click here

Boss Fight Concepts

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by test-object, Jan 16, 2009.

1. filmzombie

filmzombie

The real spindash... Member
    England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Not sure if this will be of any use or not. It was a concept I came up with a while back- only drawn it today though. Egg Vortex- annotated.

1- SIDE ASSAULT. MISSILE LAUNCHER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2- LOWER ASSAULT. FIRE LAUNCHER.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3- UPPER ASSAULT. CLUSTER BOMB.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4- AFTER A FEW ASSAULTS. ROBOTNIK LEAVES HIMSELF OPEN.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Egg Vortex may feel like a "large boss", but really its only because it hides within the tube arena. It isn't even that complex in its attack pattern. However, if you want to use it, feel free. I'm not sure which level its more suited to though.

2. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    That's not a bad idea actually, but I think that Robotnik should have some reason to go to the middle of the arena for Sonic's chance to attack, since looking from the screenshot it seems that he has a very limited chance of hitting him.

3. Matwek

Matwek

When I say 'intergrated into the environment' I mean bosses that actually look and feel like they should be in the level they're in, they have a reason to be there.
    Im not saying change the fundimental idea of a classic sonic boss just less of these bosses that have unrelated wepons, like why did the emerald hill boss have a drill? what perpose did it have. Yet a boss like the AIZ sub-boss, you saw it before you fight it, you see it burn the level, it has a precence in the overall scheme of things.

4. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Are you referring to Robotnik or Sonic? If its Sonic, wll I personally like the idea of striking from underneeth. That way Robotnik would refrain from being that stupid to reveal himself entirely.

However, if you are talking about Robotniks attack- I guess the missile launcher could act as a second device for another assault, that way to keep the rising platform aspect still in game.

5. BlackHole

BlackHole

You're going to need MORE than help. Member
    England
    Complaining
    I'm not really bothered, though the drills on the missles I made make me think of the underground zone. Perhaps there, or anywhere you feel it suits.

6. Rokkan

Rokkan

Fucking awesome concept, but I think he has too much different attacks for a boss. A flame-thrower, a missile launcher AND a spike cannon? Too much.

7. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    hmm...possibly. Particulally from a programming perspective I gather. However, the only reason this is the case is because I had to make the attacks alternate depending on whichever pipe he emerges from.

The thing I thought that made this boss such a good idea was that he could come from any pipe at any time. Heck, how many bosses attack from all of these angles?

Although, bare in mind it isn't like he'll be attacking with all of these things at once. So from that perspective, its not really overkill. It would be minor waves to avoid.

But I agree...such a boss would need to fit in with a particular level. The only two I can see so far are City Zone or Underground Zone, and its not an incredible fit.

Do with it what you will.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    I know I posted the original idea, but it went way out of context with the first post. I agree, I don't want a seperate boss act (and Insanity's post is exactly the reason why). Here's the original idea:

In the first (and second if we're going with the three-act zone format, which I really want) act of the zone, Sonic will pass the signpost, the end-of-act screen will come up, then the camera will go to Sonic, he'll slow down, the midboss appears, battle ensues, after which the screen for the next act will appear. The final act of the zone, you'll always run right up to the boss and have to defeat it then blow up the egg prison before it ever counts as an act-complete. I definitely don't want a seperate boss act.

9. Rokkan

Rokkan

I'm not saying difficult-wise, but aesthetic-wise.
    A boss needs to fit a particular level, as you said. And he fits a certain theme and restricts himself to it, sometimes, he doesn't, but his design is certainly restricted to the way he attacks Having all those different weaponry feels weird. For instance, instead of a spiked bomb, the missile launcher could just angle down to shoot another kind of missile so that then it would descend to shoot series of speedy missiles.
    Also, I'm thinkin that he could have a submarine thematic.

10. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Never thought of that. That might work.

As for the aethetic- obviouselly that wasn't important. I am aware you guys will probably come up with your own egg-mobile art anyway.

Well, hope its useful.

11. Rokkan

Rokkan

Yes, I know, I'm just throwing ideas as your boss doesn't follow any specific thematic.

EDIT: What the, I just said "another kind of missile" there? I meant a chasing missile.

12. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Fort Worth, Texas, USA
    Making a Full-Sized Egg Carrier in Minecraft.
    Alright, I have an idea for a boss for Underground Zone.

Sorry in advance for the large number of images.

Here we go:

Sonic enters boss arena and Robotnik drops down and starts pacing across the top of the stage akin to HCZ boss.
    [​IMG]

At this point, he begins being a typical bomb-dropping boss ala SLZ/CNZ/HCZ. The bombs explode and scatter little fireballs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After 3-4 bomb drops, he'll stop and slam down into the ground trying to impale/crush Sonic. If Sonic is able to dodge, Robotnik will get stuck in the ground for a moment where sonic can attack (ala SYZ).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After 3 hits, Robotnik will rise to the top of the level and drill through the ceiling, exiting the area, presumably fleeing.
    [​IMG]

Then, the player hears drilling and the level starts to shake and rumble, then water starts pouring out of the hole in the ceiling.
    [​IMG]

Robotnik returns to the flooded arena, now having exchanged his side-drills for propellers.
    [​IMG]

Robotnik then moves up and down on the side of the arena for a few seconds (this is his vulverable point), then stops at Sonic's Y location. He then lunges forward at unpleasant speed attempting to drill sonic.
    [​IMG]

Robotnik, after reaching the other side after dashing, will return to the top of the level, and continue his bombing ritual, returning to the lower parts of the level to lunge after 3-4 bomb drops.

At this point, the fight is more or less like it was before it flooded, except Robotnik lunges from the side instead of dropping down. However, the difficulty has increased as the Sonic and the falling bombs both move slower, but Robotnik still maintains full speed because of his propellers.
    [​IMG]

But McGuirk, how does Sonic get air?

The bombs! This will add a fair amount of difficulty, as Sonic not only has to dodge the fireballs, but also has to get back to the center in time to get an air bubble. If this is deemed too difficult, instead of producing 1 bubble, the bombs could crack the floor and cause one of those little bubble dispenseing air leaks from the water levels to appear. If this was the case, the bubble leak would persist until another bomb was dropped.
    [​IMG]

As for what happens after 6 hits, I have yet to come up with any particularly good ideas.

Now for Audience Participation!

Constructive Criticism begins now! But be gentle:P

13. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    at first I was unimpressed at the way it just seemed to be a remake of Marble Garden...

...but I like it. This way also- Robotnik's weakness is Sonic's ability to obtain air. The scientist seems to have genuinelly thought about this trap. Excellent.

(of course Robotnik would need a glass bubble dome to allow himself some air as well...for whoever designs the final of this)

14. The Pulse

The Pulse

GLUTHAWK, KING OF THE HAWKS Member
    I happened to draw up a little boss creation of my own. No fancy hoaxes or the like; just a simple concept chart.

A chart for a little number I like to call EGG INERTIA.

Egg Inertia: The Pit and the Pendulum

The boss begins with Sonic entering a sort of room that seems empty. But then, the ground gives way to the trench that you will be fighting in for the boss. And wouldn't you know it, ol' Egghead is right above you! So, you try to spindash up the slope, up the wall, and angle your jump to hit him...

Congratulations! You've defeated the Egg-- okay, I'm kidding, It'll hurt you if you try to attack him directly. So, what will you do? Eggman, while you're confused at what you're supposed to do, lowers a large, swinging hammer with spikes on the sides to attack you. But, it seems as if the top of the hammer is harmless...

So, what you have to do in this fight is jump on the hammer, then spindash. This will cause the hammer to pull back as you charge the dash. Release it at the peak of it's axis, and the hammer swings into the opposite wall, weakening the support beams to Eggman's cockpit. You then drop down to the bottom, and repeat the process. Once you 'hammer away' at the supports enough times, you'll have defeated it. Sounds simple enough, right?

Well, the problem is that Eggman starts to get wary of you're schpeal after the first hit. Each time you strike the support beams, the hammer will retract a little more. This means you'll have to run up the slopes and time your jumps accordingly in order to defeat this thing.

And once you do, the cockpit will humorously fall into the trench with you, completely helpless and unable to revert to the escape pod until you hit the glass top.

Aaaaaaaand, that's about it for the Egg Inertia. Tell me what you think.

EDIT: Lol, I should have known better then to have trusted imageshack. :(

EDIT2: Fixed, switched it to imagehost.

15. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    try placing the link in an image, as it stands im only viewing imageshack's homepage.

16. <!--quoteo(post=270154:date=Jan 20 2009, 10:22 AM:name=Rave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rave @ Jan 20 2009, 10:22 AM) [​IMG]

17. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Interesting...

So am I right in understanding that the two bridges in the arena would not be destroyed, but rather they'd sort of "roll" from side to side.

If so, that would actually be a pretty cool idea for Tropical Zone. I'd vote for it.

Although I still think my boss only LOOKS complex. Take him out and you'll see he actually has very little to show off. The extra attack is justified by the arena he fights you in. The two problems would come from be from programmer's perspective and a suitabe level area.

18. test-object

test-object

By Torm, no! This is terrible! I... I had no idea Member
    Filmzombie, your boss looks a very fun one. It very much blends in to it's environement, especially if it were in a tech-based zone. My only problem is that you have 1 attack too many. How about ditching the clusterbomb? You still have the extended missile launcher as a weapon, right? :argh:

19. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Whatever suits. If that's the general consensus I honestly don't mind. If people find it useful that's what counts.

In the meantime I have designed another boss, this time to specifically accomodate for a zone.

So for Blue Mountain my entry is this- Egg Elemental. Again sorry for lack of original art, I'm not a spriter. I struggled with getting a good colour for annotations this time so Sonic's facial expressions will have to do.

Enjoy another picture assault :argh:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Originality kicks in here.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(An afterthought)

I just realised if you use this there is a danger of Robotnik being hit when he makes the lava boil. That wasn't suppossed to be so. Spiked roof perhaps?

(after after thought)

The ice blower could instead rotate above his head to shield him when he goes under.

20. WAY too many pictures.

It seems a good concept, but it REALLY lacks originallity. It is basically ICZ, but sometimes changes to a sort of platforming scenario with the same boss. And there isn't really much to it.

The Egg Vortex, however, is pretty good. And I agree that the fact that Robotnik is using Sonic's weakness's against him is what is needed in a boss. More like this please. Keep up the good effort.