don't click here

Sonic 2D Blast?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Soselocke, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    Also because green grove had some form of ruins in it, as does the Marble Zone.
    Personally I thought it fit rather well

2. synchronizer

synchronizer

It just kind of bothers me that Sonic looks so...pudgy. Is there something that can be done to make his "muzzle" a bit slimmer. I tried to make some things more like the Sonic 2 sprite, but really, I don't know:
    [​IMG]

3. Lopson

Lopson

I, too, think that the Marble Zone background blends in quite well with the rest of the scenery, since there are a lot of ruins and structures laying about the original levels. Oh, and the enemy sprites are looking mighty well! This hack's looking better and better with each new tidbit of info!

4. GIHunter

GIHunter

That, sir, is positively beutiful! Three cookies for PC2!

5. filmzombie

filmzombie

The real spindash... Member
    England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Argh!

I was working on the Panic Puppet Zone Boss. Going to import it into a genetic background...only to find the damn thing's saved as a Jpeg!!

urgh. Okay, may take a while longer. It's looking alright though. However, in doing this I've noticed the Sonic 3D Bosses are slightly plagerised from one another...

However, I like the Green Grove look. The problem as Jenny pointed out with the dirt wall background will be taken away here...and there is also a chance that it shows Rusty Ruin for later.

6. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Explain

7. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Its mainly the last bosses I'm referring to. Yet still, just think about it for a moment.

Rusty Ruin- Hands that come down and squash you along with a small cannon that shoots grey balls.

Panic Puppet Boss 1- Well...pretty much the same.

Spring Stadium- Yet more evil hands and arms.

Final Fight- Once more...evil crushing hands make a comeback.

Volcano Valley- A flamer that follows you. Difficult...unique. Yet, the exact same thing appears in Panic Puppet and Final Fight once again, the only difference is the flame itself is coloured blue and red.

And finally- Final Fight steals the grey ball cannon from Panic Puppet.

So yes, Robotnik seems to lose his originality towards the end.

8. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Panic Puppet Boss

Okay, your only getting one of these for now given the terrible awkwardness I've suffered with PNG's and JPegs today.

So, for now here it is- Stage 1 of Panic Puppet

[​IMG]

The background is a little uninspiring- but quite frankly I was just interested in the boss.

Basically, the concept I've thought might prove useful for this one is:

-Sonic needs to avoid the two spike arms, and aim for the blue spheres to hit Robotnik. However, to do this- he must strike below without getting crushed and the other he must jump on an arm without being blasted by grey cannonballs (which would jettison out of the small gap just above Robotnik's pod).

For the 2d fight- when I first designed this I struggled in adjusting what I believed the difficulty curve would be like. Believe it or not- even I think this would just be too damn difficult (avoiding being crushed by 2 arms in 2D). This is why, after much thinking I decided to add a new element to the fight and give Sonic the open space behind him.

Therefore, to avoid being crushed Sonic has a safety net, which gives him room to manouvre from instant death. Yet, given this is technically passable as a final boss roaming around this area does not come without a price. Should Sonic venture to the background, just out of Robotnik's reach then the mad scientist will fire bolts of electricity from the blue pods above, which naturally will damage Sonic if he cowers away from the fight. (The electricity was inspired of course by Sonic 2 MS' final boss)

Well, that about does it for stage one. For this I will refrain from posting anymore until I have some general feedback I think, given that of course the remainder of these stages will be based on what you see here.

9. Damn...nothing..again.

Guess this will never be finished...

10. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    If you want it so bad, start it yourself. >_>

11. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    I had made a start but going at my own pace. Filmzombie I think had tried to make a go of it too. But life is busy and all so y'know

12. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    I'm still just really practising at my own layout hack.

This is something I would still really love to see though. If one or two good knowledgebale art programmers could assist, as well as possibly Malevolence (since he is awesome with bosses, would be excellent.

We'll keep this just lying around here for now though. Slow pace is better then no pace.

13. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    [​IMG]
    Shitty mockup is shitty, but this is an idea I had for an end of level transition.
    Basically after a goal ring (or whatever could be used to trigger automation) is reached, Sonic jumps on a spring and is shot up a tunnel, and the screen fades to black shortly after.
    Also, straying slightly off topic here, but has anyone noticed that the Picknica music in Super Fantasy Zone is S3DB's Special Stage tune?

(God what is it with me reviving old topics?)

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Kinda like a combination of the end of Icecap and the end of Scrap Brain? Interesting idea.

15. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    Man I really need to get on with stuff, thankfully summer isnt too far away so I might get some stuff done sooner or later D:

16. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    This idea is pretty much dead, isn't it?

17. iojnekns

iojnekns

trouble keeps you runnin' faster Member
    When exactly was this idea alive? It started off as an "I have an idea" thread, and didn't really progress any further than that. No-one seems to want to take on the responsiblity of the project (if it can be called a "project" in the first place) beyond abstract mockups concerning the second to last boss, or some other random detail that is far too far into the future to be remotely relevant. Why? Probably because the idea just isn't very good in the first place. Just a fairly pedestrian, identikit concept, which could be fleshed out with charisma and charm given a dedicated creator who gives a damn. Instead, even despite being told this already pages ago, everyone seems to be waiting for someone else to make some fantastic progress so that you can loftily make more suggestions and see them carried out.
    Why? Why take the time to bump this topic? How about making some progress yourself and posting that instead, if you think the idea has so much worth? The sheer audacity of this attitude absolutely boggles my mind. The big joke is, that the most substantial contribution that has been made to this idea so far; the GGZ cannon idea which someone suggested - which snkenjoi spent his spare time doing in lieu of working on his own project - has remained not just completely untouched, but almost completely unmentioned - a fine way to encourage other able hackers to participate and aid in the project! Its not all fun and games and planning elaborate scripted sequences and climactic final fights. The majority of what would make up this hack is in the mundane, unglamourous details, which clearly no-one wants to accept responsibility for.

I don't intend this post as malicious or spiteful, although I fear that is how it will seem. Put simply, it would not take much to throw together a working ROM with a bit of new level art or something similar. There are drawings in this very thread, that would a least be a start which can be built from. Unless something like that happens, I'd be happier never, ever seeing this topic again.

EDIT: On closer inspection, it looks like there has been some work done although it seems like that too, has been largely ignored. The principle of what I said still stands.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.