don't click here

That 3D Sonic fangame [Idea thread]

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Gen, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Namagem

Namagem

USA
    Would it be possible in the level design to incorporate both? I mean, in sonic games, there was an upper route, which was where you could generally get the best speed, the bottom, for speed interspersed with obstacles, and the middle route, which was platform heavy but avoided most of the dangers. Perhaps to could add this kind of multiple pathing into this game.

2. Gen

Gen

This is halloween! This is halloween! Member
    The Mobius Engine
    Well of course it's possible. It's not like we're using some sort of bizzarro technology that prevents us from making a good game with multiple paths :p All in all though, not unless we decide on like high-speed special stages, there won't be areas that are about nothing but pure speed.

3. Gen

Gen

The Mobius Engine
    So one day, I was cleaning out some files on my webspace, before coming across some of Sonic '06's resources, which happens to include Kingdom Valley. So then, out of curiosity, who would like to see Sonic's Kingdom Valley level from Sonic '06 brought over to this project? Of course it'll have a few edits here and there (see: enough edits to make it a three path level, lower, middle, and upper, and no, the water won't kill you) to put it on par with classic Sonic's platforming packed level design.

4. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Hey, a stable-ish Sonic '06 level? I can't complain!

5. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
    This project already has an engine and at least one programmer, and that's more than most 3D fangames get at all.

I'm guessing the plan is to follow the surreal style of the Genesis games as well, am I correct?
    What abilities should Sonic have?
    How are these levels going to look? And by that I mean from a layout perspective, it seems to me like there are only a few times where newer levels have had much in common with the older levels.

One issue in particular is bottomless pits. They form an effective level boundary, but seem out of place in a Sonic game, especially in the amounts that we've seen in the past. This problem can be solved by making the levels essentially valleys, but we can't do that the whole game. Emerald Coast's fences helped keep the player from running to their death, so that's an option.

6. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    The only thing I have to say if you ever start your new 3D game is please don't make it so you have to control the camera with the mouse, I hate when 3D Sonic fan games do that. -.-"

7. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    ^Good god that sounds like a nightmare to control for a Sonic game. D:

If you can make a 3D Sonic where momentum has to be built up via level design and or spindash, and not by simply running long enough in a straight line, I can die happy.

You've already got the right idea with no insta-kill water. I've (and I'm sure many, many others) been saying this for years, let Sonic drown properly and give the player a chance to redeem his or herself.

8. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Here's a novel idea: what if any levels with lots of edge pits are build like half-pipes? If you run off the edge, you can easily reenter the stage.

Alternatively, design stages vertically, without real edges- if you were to walk off a bridge, you land in an earlier section of level. This wouldn't work everywhere, but it might be good for many otherwise troublesome areas.

Also: do you want me to do some textures? I can't do high detail, but I can create nicely surreal things that would work in a classic environment. PNGs, so if you use a specific texture format, you have to convert them yourself.

9. Gen

Gen

The Mobius Engine
    I prefer the term "Technical Artist" :p

I've decided to ditch the original tech demo for kingdom valley. Right now I'm currently in the process of rebuilding the terrain of the level using C4's voxel goodness, and compiling a library of textures for the level (think normal mapping galore). Thankfully, I can pack as much as 36 textures into a single terrain pallet and have only a small performance impact (mainly due to C4's terrain pallets just being one huge texture with multiple smaller textures within it).

Edit: also, texture donations would be nice, as this game will likely be needing quite a few textures. (for those of you who have hardware that don't support like high resolution textures, the game engine only uses the highest resolution mip map (think of it as a downsized version of the original high-resolution texture) supported on your hardware unless you configure it otherwise).

10. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Example textures. They're PNGs, so you WILL need to convert them to the texture format you're using.

Tropical Island cliché:

[​IMG]
    Ground.

[​IMG]
    Soil.

[​IMG]
    Sand.

[​IMG]
    Beach towels, etc.

[​IMG]
    Wood.

11. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    Uh.. Gradients, and solid colors are not textures.

You need to get some detail in there, regardless if your going for classic style. This game will have better graphics than Sonic 06 by far, and solid colors just don't do it.

Here's a good example. It keeps the classic feel, while giving it a next gen look that's very pleasing to the eyes.

[​IMG]

Edit, fixed link.

12. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Take two at two of them:

[​IMG]
    Fuzzy towels

[​IMG]
    Grassy... grass.

Also, I need help on the wood:

[​IMG]

13. Jeztac

Jeztac

Sonic R-DX
    If you need some quick textures, here's a donation of my older work:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. NomadTW

NomadTW

15. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    Thank you. I'll be getting to work on the others in a bit.

Also, what are people's opinions of the fixed grass/towels?

16. NomadTW

NomadTW

Mm, I dunno, the towels could use some more pronounced....fuzziness. Try adding a bit more noise to it, and then blur it. You should come out with a more fuzzy look.

The grass looks fine, but you may want to add more 'grassy-ness' to it. (Honestly, I like Jeztac's grass texture. Looks kinda like astro turf, which I think fits Sonic's levels just fine.)

But if you want my advice: I'd say find a nice, solid base pic of grass (google images how I love thee) to work from, and then create a pattern by resizing it, copying, pasting, tweak the color to a shade that's darker/lighter, then paste again until you have a nice checkered pattern going on. Afterwords, it's a good idea to use a slight blurring effect, to blend it together.

There's also a couple of brushes built-in that look like grass, so try both of those and see what you like better.

Google is your friend, if all else fails. There's some great tutorials out there that can explain this shit a lot more coherently that I can.

Good luck.

17. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    [​IMG]
    Soil- Take Two

[​IMG]
    New concept for grass. Maintains surrealism without being as played-out as the checkerboard.

[​IMG]
    Sand- Take Two

[​IMG]
    Towel- Take Three

18. PlasmaNuke

PlasmaNuke

NY
    Surviving.
  19. 87th

87th

FOX HOUNDER Member
  20. PlasmaNuke