don't click here

Graphics

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    It might be Interenet Explorer. I'm seeing the addition of two pixels as well.

2. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

I'm currently going through some of the sprites and doing a bit of shading (I believe tweaker asked me to do this), to be honest I'm in the same boat as Chimpo on the current submissions. Some of these sprites being put forward have far too many colours. Here is one that had originally over 20 or so colours and I easily reduced it to 15 without degrading the quality of the picture (infact I think it looks much nicer now). So here is the egg prison -

[​IMG]

3. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Wait wait wait wait, we can't read my EG thing anymore!!...

[​IMG]

I still prefer this version, by the way :/

4. Sailu Baru

Sailu Baru

France
    The first (fifthelephant's one) possesses too much saturated colors, the second is a too much dull. Maybe something between both of them?

5. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    fifthelephant's version looks better, in my opinion. Phoebius's one lacks contrast.

6. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

The colours are the least of my worries, the main issue is the amount of similar pallette entries. You're complaining about the amount of colour in my edit yet it contains 8 less colours. And some of the sprites are now looking outdated compared to the main player sprites, I'm trying to keep the art consistant.

I also think we need to set a pallette limit on the sprites so that they can be adjusted once they become finalised.

7. I agree with nineko, but with a teensy bit of editting, fifthelephant, make the EG stand out. It won't be hard, just change a few pixels.

8. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    The colors in the one Phoebius made look like something from S3K, the colors in the edited one look like something from Chaotix. I guess it depends on what look you guys are going for, but I would want to use the original for a more S3K look.

9. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

<!--quoteo(post=267282:date=Jan 13 2009, 08:18 PM:name=Rika Chou)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rika Chou @ Jan 13 2009, 08:18 PM) [​IMG]

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Phoebius and Rika, you're pretty much the only two left who are stuck with the mindset of trying to make this look like Sonic CD. Everyone else doesn't. Why do you keep trying?

11. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

I've taken the egg prison sprite as far as I can probably take it, to be fair though it was already a good sprite to begin with.

I started looking at the bug boss and I'm at a loss with it, it's looking better but I think I am putting the light source in the wrong places. I might end up redoing the whole thing, sadly I don't have any free time until probably friday or sunday (and I really really want to keep working on it).
    Anyway, here is what I have so far.

[​IMG]

It's 3 colours more than the original sprite but I don't know if I can get it down more since it's sharing the pallette with an edited robotnik eggmobile sprite (below) that I have optimised (the original sprite is 7 colours more than my edit).

[​IMG]

These are just pallette changes mostly. If I can get them down to 16 colours it'l be sorted. The only problem is the bug uses lots of red shades that I will struggle to replace.

Maybe someone else wants to take a shot?

12. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Eh.

The motorbug seems to be just an upscaled version of the small one. It'll look a lot better if we just did a bigger one from scratch.

13. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I am not too sure what you mean by this. The colors in the new version look like something from Chaotix, which is closer to the art/color style of Sonic CD. I prefer the version that looks more like something from Sonic 3K, as I thought this was to look like something similar to that game.

If the goal here is for this project to look something like Chaotix, then I would prefer the new version. I wasn't trying to put the new version down or anything.

Also when I was working on the tropical zone I was trying to draw inspiration from Mushroom Hill zone in S3K, trying to make it NOT look like something in Sonic CD like it did in my hack...

14. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

15. Rokkan

Rokkan

Loved the Motorbug, but some parts looked more like an oekaki than an actual pixel-art, so I worked over it:
    [​IMG]

16. fifthelephant

fifthelephant

17. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Of course you guys thought of a way for Sonic to avoid it ;P
    Just kidding.
    Maybe that boss could chase Sonic, in this way Sonic doesn't need to jump over it, and the boss will do the thing every Motobug does, try to ram over Sonic.

18. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel

no reverse gear Wiki Sysop
    Northumberland, UK
    steamboat wiki
    [​IMG][​IMG] -> [​IMG]

Modfied that bit on the side of the shell, plus a few other things

Also tried putting back that original yellowy bit from the Sonic 1 sprite... not sure if it worked... depends which level it's going in I guess.

19. Matwek

Matwek

Rather then a boss I would quite like to see a couple of these used in a sort of interactive cut-scene (like the bombing run near the end of AIZ). Nack/Fang could release a small 'herd' of them and sonic has to out run them avoiding obstacles... or maybe it could still be a boss in a revers style of MHZ, you run to keep ahead and avoid obstacles then when you have the space jump back and destroy one, another then takes its place till you hit a certain number depending on if its a final boss or a sub boss.

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    I don't think having that as a boss would be a good idea, for this project.

Be creative, guys. =\