don't click here

Drawing in HD - Art Tutorials

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Strike Da Mic

Strike Da Mic

Illustrator / Musician Member
    Niederglatt, Switzerland
    GameRights.ch, Sonic 2 HD
    Well - thanks!

I'm motivated alright, we'll see if there's talent as soon as I can grab the time to actually sit down and remaster the whisp :P

2. Strike Da Mic

Strike Da Mic

Niederglatt, Switzerland
    I just watched all three episodes, and I really liked them a lot (like I said), but ...

I'm a little bit disappointed that you only show how to alter existing AI remasterings into other stances. Things I really worry about how to accomplish them, such as TD and Uber Shading, are not being touched (if I paid proper attention).

Care to make another of your great tutorial videos for that? ;) :psyduck:

3. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    How to make basic UBER shading. (Illustrator)
    *UBER shades, refers to a particular drawing method leading from little to no visible colour steps
    • First of all, create a circular white shape, on top of the red shoe. (We are doing the Sonic's Shoe spotlight)
    [​IMG]
    • Now, let's draw another shape on top of the white spot and colour pick white again.
    • Go on the upper opacity menu, and assign it a 24% opacity
    [​IMG]

Do we want Uber?
    Ok, let's add one more shade!
    • let's draw another shape between the two we've drawn and and colour pick white again.
    • Go on the upper opacity menu, and assign it a 35% opacity
    [​IMG]

Let's now check out the result! (by zooming back at 100%)

[​IMG]
    The white spot is blended into red in a seamless way!

(The modified art here is for Tutorial-purposes only. Rough shades are a form of intended contrast especially on reflections!
    Be careful adding UBER shading only where is necessary or it risks to blur the entire composition.)

-Vincent

P.s. Have a look at the complete Sonic Uber Stand Illustrator File

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD

Blending Tool

This tool, as the name implies, generates automatic gradient shades.
    It must be used mainly for metal-like effect, as its abuse may produce cheap gradient-fill effect.

Before working on it, first create two shapes to be colour blended. (or three, depends on the key colours you want to blend with)
    Then:

-Select the Blending tool, and manually click on the first shape so it gets selected.

[​IMG]

-Now manually click on the second shape you want to blend with, and this will happen:

[​IMG]

Easy eh?

Now, because automatic gradients usually fits only metal parts or no rough surfaces, you CAN select how many "steps" it will have by:

-Go on upper menu: Object-->Fusion-->Fusion Options-->(a toolbox will popup)Specify colour steps

[​IMG]

That's it, hope you'll find it handy! :)

5. Strike Da Mic

Strike Da Mic

Niederglatt, Switzerland
    <!--quoteo(post=266690:date=Jan 12 2009, 06:35 AM:name=Vincent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vincent @ Jan 12 2009, 06:35 AM) [​IMG]</a>

-Now manually click on the second shape you want to blend with, and this will happen:

[​IMG]

Easy eh?

Now, because automatic gradients usually fits only metal parts or no rough surfaces, you CAN select how many "steps" it will have by:

-Go on upper menu: Object-->Fusion-->Fusion Options-->(a toolbox will popup)Specify colour steps

[​IMG]

That's it, hope you'll find it handy! :)[/quote]

This just destroyed my biggest fear I've had when thinking of remastering sprites: proper shading. :D Thanks Vince!

6. Exodus

Exodus

U.K.
    S2HD
    I thought that's what people were doing already!

7. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Wrong, we create all with basic shades, and the we "uberize" the shades. Myself, well, I work with Ps, so I don't need to create basic vector shapes... I only use a soft brush for example...

8. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Answering to Sciz,

SUBTRACT SHAPES

Let's take the EHZ bush for an instance. [​IMG]
    It is composed by leaves, all sharing a main gradient effect.

How can we achieve this effect in vector art?

[​IMG]
    • First of all create an oval shape with any gradient effect you wish.
    [​IMG]
    • Now, let's create the "holes" in a new shape which will be subtracted to the oval one. *
    • (*If multiple holes is the effect we want to achieve (I.e. by many squares) remember to group them in the end!)
    [​IMG]
    1. Now select both shapes with the black arrow tool.
    2. Go in Window-->Pathfinder (it will appear a toolbox)
    3. On the toolbox click on the "pathfinder", and then on the "second icon" to the upper-left.
    That's it!

[​IMG]

9. Sciz

Sciz

That works for a single shape, but I've never got it to function properly on more complex shading that uses multiple shapes, which is what I'm currently doing. Photoshop can handle the problem with ease and perfect accuracy, but pre-rasterized content may be a hassle. I haven't ruled out the manual method yet either, but I'll need to rework the leaves first before messing with that.

10. CornetTheory

CornetTheory

Voice Artist Member
    Japan
    have you tried a clipping mask? It works like a vector based alpha channel.

11. Elratauru

Elratauru

Little Shiny Emurralds Member
    Correction: It IS a vector based alpha channel.

xD

12. Sciz

Sciz

Vincent figured out a way to do it a while ago, and part of his method did involve a clipping mask. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

13. Does anyone know how to place an object inside another one using inkscape?

14. Acaeris

Acaeris

Sugarcube... Member
    Do you mean inside a group or just inside another shape?

Inside a Group

Cut the item you want inside the group. Double click on the group and then paste. The things you cut should not be elements of the group.

Remember to double click on the canvas to go back to the default layer after you have finished with the group.

Inside another shape

Just drag one over the other and the use the 'Bring forward'/'Send Backward' buttons to get them in the right order.

15. DPJ93

DPJ93

Norway
    Heh. Since I tried the second tech demo of Sonic 2 HD, I wanted to find out how to make HD graphics. And I had no idea what program I could use to make graphics in HD :P

Well, unfrotunately I don't have any photoshop products.. They are just too expensive. I use Real Draw Pro V, which also is vector based, and pretty nice.

But seriously, I got pretty excited when I saw this, so all I need now is Photoshop Illustrator. :P Thanks for making a tutorial, I'm 100% sure people will find it useful, and me too when I at some point get that program.. So what should I say? Thanks in advance! xD

16. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Getting straight which software and how easily S2HD graphics is serialized, is the key to learn and join us in this journey. ^^

BTW: Adobe Illustrator CS2 (or CS4) they are almost equally better.

17. You can also use inkscape. It is free to download. and a hell of a lot smaller than illustrator.

18. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Adobe Illustrator CS2 -CS4 "LivePaint Mode" Tutorial

In response to Gambit:

1)Be sure to have "Smart Guides" under the "View" menu, then select the Line tool icon.
    [​IMG]

2)Draw / Adjust lines to create the desired shape by intersecting lines together
    [​IMG]

3)Once complete, select all your vectors with the Black Arrow Tool.
    [​IMG]

4)Select now the Live Paint bucket, pick up a colour, then click on the selection (it should appear a red area on all vectors the first time).
    [​IMG]

5)Each time you pass over an "area of intersection" that perimeter will be marked red and so it will be possible to fill it.
    [​IMG]

6)To clean the lines, select all the vectors with the Black Arrow Tool, then give 0 to outline thickness.
    [​IMG]

Easy and Powerful. :psyduck:

19. Gambit

Gambit

Sonic 2 HD Staff - Level Artist Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    I might have to try that out. Thanks for the tip.

20. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
    Hehe, let's see who's the fastest. This is the first time I learned about this too. The corkscrew is easy now :D

I will win this *runs off to his super vector tools*