don't click here

Sonic 2D Blast?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Soselocke, Nov 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. filmzombie

filmzombie

The real spindash... Member
    England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Okay, brilliant. That's more then enough right there. All that it requires now then is a programmer with a little intuitive level design, as well as some inclusion of the 2d Green Grove Gimmicks. Then we should be able to have some sort of demo to showcase at least. :)

(I'm aware the bosses will be useless without a very good programmer. However, for now I'll still do the other boss concepts and see if I can work out any way to cut corners for maybe something with a bit of depth)

2. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Um, if you want to make a flicky counter, I suggest you to find some spare RAM and make it from scratch because that'll probably be a lot easier than trying to modify something else. Just make sure to learn how to edit the HUD, the rest is pretty much raw programming.

3. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Okay, you sound fairly confident which is good. So regardless of the type of art that is used it means its at least possible to implement then.

As for Green Grove- just took the liberty to go on Youtube and check out the various gimmicks/level stylings. Hope it helps. The ones with an asterix I've highlighted because I realise they appear in more then one zone. The ones with a plus, I'm assuming Emerald Hill already has.

Wood Bridges +
    Waterfalls +
    Purple Gates * (although for our purposes these may be a little redundant)
    Spindash Machines *
    Loop de Loop +
    Small Ponds
    The Occasional Breakable Wall
    Spinning Turrets *
    Moving purple spike balls *
    Purple Mines *
    Cannonball Launcher (we can steal this off carnival night can't we?)

4. synchronizer

synchronizer

The wall can be taken from Sonic 1 right?
    As for the launcher, I think back in this topic someone actually ported it, so that is possible.

EDIT:

snkenjol ported it to Sonic 2:

"If the project starts to get off the ground, I can probably modify it to be more like the GGZ cannon. Someone else would have to do the art for it though."

The link was dead, but I had the file so I re-uploaded it:

http://www.speedyshare.com/723150868.html

However, the cannon would probably either have to be made to fire in a re-determined direction, or a row of rings would point towards the proper direction.

5. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    I'm wondering about the purple gates and spindash machine. is there such things in Sonic 1-3? I recall dash pads and dash machines but no spindash machine

I've got a bit of the start of green grove done though just noticed a small issue. Green Grove is surrounded by lots of dirt walls. Which looks horribly dull in comparison to EHZ's lovely sea view. Plus when you add walled backgrounds in Sonic 2 theres very few tiles that go with that. can we edit other chunks to work with tiled walls?

6. Both the gates and the spindash machine are unneccessary, the gates because they are just used to stop you going back to the loop, and the spindash machine because it was only used to go through the loop successfully without messing up by falling off or something. In a 2D game these aren't needed. Also, the breakable wall could be ported from Sonic 1, as mentioned before. But keep in mind, it might not be needed, as there is likely to be brand new level layouts because of the 2D. However, some layout gimmicks will probably be kept, so I would imagine in this case there could be the option of going upwards, or through the wall to the cannon.

7. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    Last I checked, we were going to make layouts that, while not exactly the same, would be heavily based on the originals. That's not to say that the gates and booster wouldn't be redundant in 2D, but I think that we should stick with what has been previously established.

8. One question...would we use Knuckles and Tails as warp points to Special Stages?

We would need Knuckles and Tails sprites, then make them take you to the special stage.

9. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
    [​IMG]

Hows this for a 2D interpretation of 3D Sonic?. Treid to go with the same style and shading. Not sure if it works though

10. Chimpo

Chimpo

I Gotta Be Me Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Don't Forget! Try Your Best!
  11. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash
    Classy =D

12. filmzombie

filmzombie

England- The Land of Tea
    Sonic Synthesis
    Like I suggested, for now we can just go and use animated sprites of knuckles and tails just being bored/practising punches and place them next to some typical sonic 2 starpost somewhere. Later, when some programmer decides to give a bash at the ring thing fair enough but for now this would be a very effective solution.

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  14. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie
  15. NomadTW

NomadTW

I ain't gotta impress you fucks. Member
    I think the sprite needs just a bit moar shinyplz. To really capture the pre-rendered-ness. Also perhaps make him ever so slightly taller, with maybe...how do I put this, fuller, shoes? I dunno, in the game they seemed slightly larger..

Eh, maybe not so much the last suggestion, but if you went with the first two I'd say you're pretty much there. :3

16. SonarDragon

SonarDragon

I tried something

[​IMG]
    But it sucks. :v:

17. synchronizer

synchronizer

For now, I think that the Sonic 2 sprites should be used honestly. I don't even think that Sonic 3d's sprite style looked that good.

18. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Oh, is this project still alive?

Will you be wanting this? (Shouldn't be too difficult to pick up where I left off.)

Also, loving Jenny's sprite, but SonarDragon's is a little too shiny. It makes Sonic look plastic, and the colour of his skin is too bright, it almost blends with the whites of his eyes. (Also, it looks too much like Advance's palette, which is an instant "no" in my book.)

19. JennyTablina

JennyTablina

Oldbie

More like an idea thats kind of been languishing but I'm trying to pick up on. It seems an curious idea, just cant see why nobody else has started on it yet (outside of concepts, filmzombies concepts and Titans are awesome and synchronizer's level map has come in great use so far)

Also thanks for the sprites. Tis very much appreciated. Though they still seem to be hangin on earlier in the topic. I ought to nab that cannon hack too. Though admittedly I don't really know how to port anything. But I'll check up on that

20. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.