don't click here

Sonic 1 Mobile stuff

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Galaxia, Dec 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    Okay, I was messing around with the J2ME version of Sonic 1 by iFone and found some weird and unused stuff:

File Names
    The file names for GHZ, MZ and SYZ STILL follow the original level order: the tile data is labelled ZONE1, ZONE3 and ZONE5. It's not even a direct port, so why keep the same order...?

Unused Graphics
    These are from the later levels. This version only uses the first three levels. (I don't have the Part 2 version just yet)

[​IMG]
    Platform from LZ

[​IMG]
    Platform from SBZ

[​IMG]
    In game text references the other zones; probably shared between Part 1 and 2 but still, you don't see these normally so I guess they count =P

There's also the game over sprites, such as the ending with Eggman jumping on the End sign or juggling the emeralds saying Try Again. It's notoriously hard on my K800i due to the tiny buttons, so I'll attempt to complete SYZ3 again and see if said graphics are unused. IIRC it actually just goes back to the title screen, giving you a code for Part 2 so you can keep your score and life counter.

I'll add this stuff to the wiki later, just thought it worth mentioning here first =P

Oh and just as a sidenote, this came free with my phone alongside Puzzle Bobble and Metal Gear Acid Mobile.

2. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Czechia
    Well, the game came in part 1, part 2 and one full version (which was first), so it's no surprise there are some leftovers. I dug through the files, too, and changed some graphics inside.

And, even if it's not a direct port, they have the source code available, and it's only logic that they kept the level names (and the object images have Japanese names, too).

3. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    See, how I'd do it is code the whole thing then split it in 2, the levels being self-contained in their folders, so it's no shock they kept the same ordering, really.

4. DustArma

DustArma

Santiago, Chile
    Learning Python.
    Yeah, most of the stuff is shared between the versions, but I see the "Special Stage" text there, and the special stage which was cutoff from all the Ifone releases (Full version, part 1 and 2), so why would they keep something they wouldn't use anyway?

5. evilhamwizard

evilhamwizard

Researcher
    Didn't the original Sonic Cafe version have the special stage in? I remember the Sonic Cafe version of Sonic 2 having a redesigned special stage, but that never made it when it came to the states.

Speaking of the Sonic Cafe versions, do we have more information about them? Are they actually in Java? Has anyone released them on the net yet?

If the iFone version of Sonic 1 was interesting, the Sonic Cafe version should be better.

6. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Quite possibly it was cut during development but was never removed due to either lazyness or fear of breaking something.

7. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Czechia
    Both the Special Stage text and "Chaos Emeralds" shows up when you "enter" special stage and immediately get the emerald.

If I'm not mistaken, a developer (registered on this forum) said, that they didn't have time to even start working on the special stages.

8. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    Interesting, what's this sonic cafe version all about? Never heard of that before.

Didn't someone also find a MZ ufo sprite in sonic 1 mobile too?

9. Sanqui

Sanqui

Random nobody Member
    Czechia
    The Sonic Cafe version is an entirely different (and older) wannabe Sonic game.

And yes, there is an unused downgraded UFO sprite in the game. Evidence that they had the source code, perhaps?

10. Yuzu

Yuzu

Wasn't that the old Sonic game for phones in Japan around 2001ish?

11. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
  12. Claxon

Claxon

As Sanky said, the special stage & chaos emeralds text appears briefly. The actual special stage was one of the first things to go due to various reasons. I was working on a Monkeyball game at this time so I'm not sure exactly what the reasons were but I'd imagine the main one was the lack of free rotation in j2me graphics, so the additional overhead of having a whole extra tileset of graphics when build siszes were already over the limits on many devices would be too much to handle.

As for having all of the zone names in the image, the Part 1 & Part 2 code was all actually a single codebase, the levels that were included with each particular build was configured by our preprocessor at build time. At different points in time, different levels were going to be used, originally they were all going to be in, then they were split into 3 alternating zones (I think it was Green Hill, Spring Yard, and Star Light for part 1), but as you probably know the level structure in Sonic 1 alternates between fast levels, and slower-more puzzle based levels, so that would have meant part 1 had all the fast levels and part 2 have all the puzzle levels. So it was changed to the current configuration. Since we could use any or all levels we would have to either store each zone title in a seperate image or keep them in a single image (which meant we didn't have the overhead of the header chunks for all the png files, and it compressed better).

13. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    You have to program in Java for a living? You poor sad bastard, you have my condolences =P

14. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Time to blame whoever decided that phones should use Java, don't you think? =P

Programs for the newest phones aren't programmed in Java but in C or C++, so J2ME may not have much time alive. Yet that'd be useless as you still have to remake the entire game for every phone as they're completely different and too weak to include stuff for several phones into a single one.

15. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Remake? Not as much as you'd think. More and more platforms will emerge that will work on many handsets - Android, S60, etc. A program that works on one platform that supports these should work on any.

16. Claxon

Claxon

Yes I am condemned to work with not merely java, but j2me... A particularly nasty strain! I'm trying to return to the land of pc's and consoles, but java experience is a nasty blot on my record. On the plus side I've had the chance to work on a number of games that others can only pray for.

The key word there is SHOULD. but in the mobile industry that means next to nothing. My job as a java porting engineer shouldn't even exist due to the whole "build once, run anywhere" concept of java, but it does.

17. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Maybe the situation changes once phones either get more memory or more power. But until then yes, games have to be remade for every phone. Even if the codebase is the same, there's stuff like display resolution and such that have to be dealt with. There isn't enough power to try vector graphics or scaling in all phones, neither enough memory to be able to fit several graphic sizes (even in phones with SD cards, if they first download it into internal memory, you're lost). So pretty much the game has to be rebuilt for every phone out there, even if the code remains the same (somewhat).

18. Claxon

Claxon

With luck that will happen, but I'm still supporting phones released back in 2001 (and the phone networks demand that these devices are supported, else they won't sell the game), so even if every new phone started using Android, it would still take the better part of a decade for publishers to be able to support Android only. :'(

19. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Oh, very true, very true. "Build once, debug everywhere" was coined for a reason from that slogan. :) But I have found that those 2 platforms are much more consistant than j2me is in terms of resolutions, etc. With luck in the future it should all be much better.

Plus you can compile from a common C codebase and not have to worry about fucking JIT bytecode. >_>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.