don't click here

General Project Thread & Feedback

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Chimpo

Chimpo

Why is Tekken 6 afraid of Tekken 7? Member
    Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Like I mentioned, the boss art isn't a design we should go by. I just needed something big and epic to illustrate a point.

Reposting due to new page faggotry:

[​IMG]

The trio manage to destroy Robotnik's plans once more. Nack, realizing that he won't be payed in full, steals the Master Emerald for himself, and Robotnik makes a run for it. A failsafe in the battleship design was that it would still explode on the planet, but not causing as much damage as before.

Sonic runs off to stop Robotnik in a battle on top of the falling battleship. Tails goes off to stop the bomb, only to be confronted by a defeated Metal Sonic that has taken the Chaos Emeralds inside to go super. Knuckles has to fight Nack in a giant mech powered by the Master Emerald.

Epic final boss music goes here.

Also, those boss designs are random. Don't pay attention to them. I just needed something that looked cool and not a blank space.

2. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I know, I just wanted an excuse to mention the fact that a boss like I described is something I had been wanting for quite some time now.

3. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    I don't quite understand what you mean by that. Do you mean that a boss should be completely different for each character, even on the same level? I would think that since they take place at relatively the same time when they're in the same level, the bosses would all be controlled by robotnik.

4. Dark Phantron

Dark Phantron

I think the original idea with Sonic fighting Robotnik and trying to stop the bomb while Tails destroys the battleship worked better. Also, all three villains could make use of the Master Emerald. In S3&K, both Robotnik and Mecha Sonic Mk-II were able to use it Sonic's and Knuckle's final boss fights even though it couldn't of existed in two places at once.

I also wonder whether Sonic, Tails, & Knuckles should have their own Doomsday Zone-esque final battle. (only when the player collects the Chaos Emeralds, of course)

I personally like the idea of a Super Tails (with Chaos Emeralds) vs. Super Mecha Sonic Mk-III (with Master Emerald) battle.

The biggest reason why? If each character had their own Doomsday levels, that would mean we would have to make the Super Knuckles vs. Fang battle match Super Tails vs. Super Mecha Sonic, and the Super/Hyper Sonic vs. Robotnik battle even greater and grander than both of them. That should make all the final battles extremely awesome, very well done, and very fun to beat.

In any case, I'd love to see a Super whoever vs. Super Mecha Sonic battle. I don't think a Super vs. Super battle has been done before, so it'd be fun to figure out how one would work.

5. Matwek

Matwek

That was just in reply to someone mentioning that it might work better if the storys were split right from the start and how I disagreed.
    I was saying if you leave it to the end before the split then all characters can experience a fight with all the villians at various point in the story before they go their seperate ways, as apposed to them only fighting their respective enemy (Sonic vs robotnick, tails vs metal, Knuckles vs nack). So im saying they shouldn't all have different bosses thoughout the game, only in the last few levels.

6. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I originally was going to post these 3 pics for a different reason, but since lately the discussion has been about character split paths (or something similar), then I'll post them now.

First, look at the pics:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Now, what these pics mean? Well, we know that Sonic and knuckles have different paths in S3K, and this post is to show a possible extention of that concept.
    As you can see, if we give Sonic (a more limited version of Mighty's) wall jump, then he too gains the possibility of unique areas accesible only by him. With this in mind, every character can have some areas where only him can go, thus bringing the possibilities of alternate routes (which could bring to different acts/zone) accesible only to a specific character (example: Act 1 has a signpost in the end of the stage, but Sonic can reach a second signpost which will bring him in another/alternate Act 2 different from the standard Act 2. Same thing can be said for the other 2 characters).

Of course, when playing as Sonic & Tails, with the help of Tails Sonic could reach the "Tails only areas".

7. Matwek

Matwek

<!--quoteo(post=265473:date=Jan 9 2009, 09:29 AM:name=Chimpo)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chimpo @ Jan 9 2009, 09:29 AM) [​IMG]

The trio manage to destroy Robotnik's plans once more. Nack, realizing that he won't be payed in full, steals the Master Emerald for himself, and Robotnik makes a run for it. A failsafe in the battleship design was that it would still explode on the planet, but not causing as much damage as before.

Sonic runs off to stop Robotnik in a battle on top of the falling battleship. Tails goes off to stop the bomb, only to be confronted by a defeated Metal Sonic that has taken the Chaos Emeralds inside to go super. Knuckles has to fight Nack in a giant mech powered by the Master Emerald.

Epic final boss music goes here.

Also, those boss designs are random. Don't pay attention to them. I just needed something that looked cool and not a blank space.[/quote]

Im all in favour of this story, there might be one or two bits I belive should be done slightly differently but the general idea is sound. Just wondered what other peoples opinions were, as if we can agree on this general concept then we can cut back on the amount random story ideas and concentrate on getting this one perfect.
    And on that note I did a quick sketch of how I feel sonics final level should go.
    Bad ending - Sonic defeats robotnik, jumps off destroyed flying fortress onto bi-plane, fortress crashes onto island.
    Good ending - Super sonic blasts downwards avoiding breaking debis (along with robotnick trying to slow him down) ends with a 'superman returns' style scene of super sonic stoping the fortress from crashing into the ground.
    [​IMG]

8. Rokkan

Rokkan

Microwave timer bomb
    Anyway, if this Nack/Metal Sonic thing is just going to be applied to a few boss stages, and the majority of them still being Robotnik, I fully support it.
    Now, because the Concept/Ideas thread had transformed into a Sprites thread and this thread seems to be the new Concept/Ideas one, I'll copypasta an idea that I put there that did have some feedback, but I would like to discuss deepier about it:
    NOTE: I'm not saying that Sonic shouldn't have both the Super Peel-Out and the Spin-Dash, but if the Spin Cancel power-down is obtained, the Spin-Dash will be substituted by a Super-Peel Out.
    I feel that with these power-ups, we can rescue that feeling of "Wow this thing is just so new. Never seen this before" that I think that some of us had with Sonic 3 and the elemental barriers thing. I know this is just too much for a fast-paced game, but the freedom that is given to the player to experiment with those new power-ups and the feeling of experiencing something new is something that we should think about it. For instance, Kirby Super Star. You have a lot of copy powers and just a few of them are really necessary to go through puzzles or alternative paths, so why so much copy powers and why so many abilities and combos inside those powers knowing that enemies are destroyed with 1 to 3 hits? To make the player experiment, to give the player the choice to use the copy power that he most likes. Giving the player the freedom to experiment things up with the game is what increases the replay value of the game.

9. I'm putting in my vote for continuing to refine the current Chaos Buster (or whatever) story, including the three unique final acts. Also my vote goes towards having at least the Chaotix blue ring power-up.

10. OSM

OSM

retro is for losers! Member
    Doing absolutely nothing
    I support this, in fact I love it.

11. LordOfSquad

LordOfSquad

bobs over baghdad Member
    Winnipeg, MB
    making cool music no one gives a shit about
    Knuckles' story takes place after Sonic's.

12. Sciz

Sciz

Not that KSS isn't an incredible game, but 2D Sonic's closest analogue to a Kirby power is presented as an entirely different character. There's a bit of it in the shields, yes, but the levels usually made it obvious that one of them was preferable to the other two at any given moment.

Concerning power downs: Please, no. They're never fun in any game (excepting only multiplayer Bomberman when you can pass them on to opponents) and getting hurt is already a very strong "don't hit this!" feedback. The series' usage of water is the closest I'd dare come to hampering the controls.

The Ion Shield idea falls under a similar umbrella; I've only rarely seen power ups with strings attached executed well.

I always did like Chaotix's blue ring, though I'd keep the simpler implementation it used. Experimenting with other ring related power ups could prove interesting.

13. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    My vote goes for the blue ring power-up too. I suggested it in the old forum but it didn't fly. I want this very much!

14. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    I see. What I thought when (insert creator's name) posted the split paths story was something like this: Sonic and Tails would be at the main island, Knuckles would start at Angel Island. At zone 2 or 3, their paths would merge. That's the extent of the split paths before the final zones.

15. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    They all start on the same island.

Knuckles is lured outside of Angel Island remember?

He's just ahead of Sonic and Tails up until the first boss battle.

16. Sailu Baru

Sailu Baru

France
    What do you think about gaining an ability each time Sonic gets an emerald?

For example the following gems should give the following abilities:

- Green emerald --> Spin dash attack (it should be the first emerald the player wins)
    - Grey emerald --> Insta-Shield (it should be the second emerald the player wins)
    - Red emerald --> Turn a protect into fire protect (pressing "start" would permit to select an available protect)
    - White emerald --> Turn a protect into bubble protect
    - Blue emerald -->Turn a protect into lighting protect
    - Ochre emerald -->Turn a protect into rock protect
    - Yellow emerald --> Become Super Sonic (it should be the last emerald the player wins)

So, getting an emerald would have a supplementary interest.
    One problem this idea might assume is : "what do we do with the other characters?"

17. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    I don't really like that idea, it wouldn't go along with the previous games at all.

18. Chimpo

Chimpo

Los Angeles, 2029
    Aiming for Genbu!
    Don't like it.

19. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    To my knowledge, such an idea has been put into effect in various ROM hacks. It's not a bad idea in and of itself, but I don't think it's appropriate for this project in particular.

Not bad, though. :psyduck:

20. Sailu Baru

Sailu Baru

France
    I admit that idea doesn't match with the "retro" spirit of the project. So I have said nothing :psyduck: