don't click here

Levels & Items Art

Discussion in 'Sonic 2 HD (Archive)' started by Vincent, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2HD - Project Leader & Chara Member
    Sonic 2 HD
    Oh, that's really unexpected.

If the flower moves, it's pretty obvious that the leaves couldn't be naturally that stiff.
    Sepals and leaves coordinated movement adds much life and smoothness to the entire frame I have trouble seeing any interest on the previous version. Congratulations!

This however rises only one problem:

-Trunk tiles are separated from the flower Animated tiles. While It should be fairly easy to adjust that, I need LOst to confirm it's feasible and does not require much reworking.

Yeah, don't work on additional frames until the main ones are completed. The more required art done the faster development goes.
    I'd like to know ICEKnight's opinion on this flower, then you can move over the next flower as this flower gets the "Approved Art" status.

2. Sciz

Sciz

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Oh, I think it looks cool.

4. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    I love you two guys. (In the term of skills, obviously!)

Now being serious, The purple Flower gets the "Approved" status, congratulations on this one Sciz ^^
    The red flower is coming out great as well, and the glass-idea is just awesome.

Remember that it shares the same trunk tile as the purple one, so please proceed with the same, still & animated trunk version of it.

5. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    Excellent job on those, looking forward to what you put your mind to next.

6. Sciz

Sciz

7. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Loving fast & quality contributions like this! ^__-

One good news for you, I confirm we'll allow the animated Flowers + animated Trunk on the engine.
    So please continue remastering the remaining flowers as you see more fit!

*About this Sphere Flower, there is only a minor difference in pixels between the left and the right side. The rest is about perfect*

8. Strike Da Mic

Strike Da Mic

Illustrator / Musician Member
    Niederglatt, Switzerland
    GameRights.ch, Sonic 2 HD
  9. Sciz

Sciz

That's intentional, to emphasize the stretch and squash nature of the animation (which I hope to smooth out in a later art pass, assuming we get around to it). I'm operating under the assumption that once you get down to the small details, there's no way the original artists could be expected to convey fine adjustments clearly, so I've got just a little leeway to be creative and play with the animations. In tasteful ways that make sense, of course, let's not get into that discussion again.

Plus, it ended up looking a bit odd when the big circle changed to a perfect oval and the other two didn't. If they weren't side by side, you'd never think twice about it. I'd consider my shading a much more significant change overall. ;p

I have to ask, does this mean we aren't limited to 64x64 tiles? Are there any strict specifications I should be concerned about at all, aside from sticking to 4x size?

10. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    The tile system works just like the original, using 64X64 tiles.
    What's great is that our engine handles animated tiles (including palette animations)in a different way than originals, so if your flower animation does exceed the 64X64 cell size or frames #, we can do it! But do keep in mind that for speed's sake 64X64 is your and our best friend. ^__-

Speaking of general S2HD remastering rules, "original animation frames number" comes first.
    (You asked me to add more frames to the flowers to smooth the animation, so yes you can add those just once the remaining 2 flowers are complete!)

11. Sciz

Sciz

Man, I've got to stop underestimating how long these things take to draw.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I tried a handful of way to make the center more detailed, as a real flower would be, and none of them turned out well. The lengthened stem isn't set in stone either, and I plan to experiment with a literal interpretation shortly.

edit: Helps if I remember to do what I say I'm going to do.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Great work Sciz, especially on the stems and the shadows on the leaf!

About corrections:

-Flower's petals are too squared on edges. It should be more like original frame #2. [​IMG]
    -Veins of the petals are too marked, give them slight lighter colors
    -Center of flower could be showing a spotlight, just like the purple flower has. (so it seems more like a round ball)
    -To make the trunk look good on its elongated version: add a new frame (where the trunk is partially covered by the flower) so the trunk is not flashing.

Besides this, ace work.
    You almost nailed all the uber flowers in a short time with great visual quality!

13. Sciz

Sciz

Will do.

Eh, ok. Of the four, this one has the softest, flattest shading, but I can brighten it a little more.

I think it's still going to blink in and out simply because of how fast the animation is, but I'll give it a try. The floating version is growing on me, though. ;p

14. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    While I keep my personal preference for a bit softer version, you can be right about the pixel interpretation! ^^

I've comparred them both:
    Original [​IMG] Modified[​IMG]

If you want to test just a softer version it would be great, if it takes you too much time leave it be.
    (5.AM ?! Didn't you sleep? O__O )

P.s. the "floating flower's" getting into my head as well..

15. Sciz

Sciz

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Probably need to slow it down a little, but it does resolve the flashing issue. Kills the optical illusion too, unfortunately, but there's nothing to be done about that.

[​IMG]

<!--quoteo(post=265052:date=Jan 8 2009, 06:24 AM:name=Vincent)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Vincent @ Jan 8 2009, 06:24 AM) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Canned Karma

Canned Karma

S2HD Project Manager Member
    Sonic 2 HD, various 3D work
    I like the geometry that you've got currently Sciz. The veins... not so much. They're workable, but their level of detail seems to clash with the overall simplicity of the flower. Maybe a smaller square toward the 'bottom' of the petals, relative to where they connect with the center piece? Maybe even two shades of the red you're using for the veins right now - one for a square like I just described, with two other, small squares extending from its sides using the lighter of the shades to better transition to the petal's color. Some food for thought, in any case.

The animations that you've done are very nice. I'd want to see the dual frame animation and the new one side by side in a gameplay setting to get a feel for which will be more appropriate.

17. Sciz

Sciz

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Something simpler like this, perhaps?

18. LOst

LOst

Tech Member
  19. Vincent

Vincent

Sonic 2 HD
    Yes, this new version looks gorgeous.

And wow at the Flower field you set up above!

It's terribly difficult to decide which one (the floating or the elongated trunk ver) is best, as CK said we'd like to see them in a level contest to properly value them.
    So for the moment consider both of them "Approved" as they are really awesome. (the third added frame does wonders)

20. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.