don't click here

Sonic 3D general hacking topic

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Sik, Dec 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doesn't ESE and other little programs have a SMD-to-BIN converter? I think it'd be less hassle just to find the .BIN of the ROM from SonAR or sites that carry the GoodGen copy of Sonic 3D Blast (which would be Sonic 3D Blast (UE) [!]).

If you have a .GEN version, it's basically a .BIN file renamed to .GEN so that's easy to correct.

EDIT: Oh, address converter. I'd just limit it to only use .BIN files to avoid such issues.

2. S.N.N.

S.N.N.

Meh. Member
    Ontario, Canada
    Music and hacking
    Yeah, it was a .SMD I messed with - just found the file. Damn.

Eh, hopefully we can come up with something. Would be a shame to have all of it go to waste.

3. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Yeah, but what do we do with this info that is for the SMD file, meanwhile? ._.

EDIT: by the way found the code for some of the cutscenes (bad ending, good ending, when PPz is destroyed and when FFz is destroyed). Didn't analyze it though, other than some screens seem to share code and use a parameter given in d0 to show something different (e.g. when PPz and FFz are destroyed, they're the same with a different background determined by the value of d0).

4. Dude

Dude

Tech Member
    Southbridge, MA
    Random VR/AR trash

You could always see how little interweaving there is by taking an address you know the location of in the smd version and bin version, and finding the difference in offsets. Then apply this difference to find a smd address in the bin version. If this doesn't want to work then you're probably going to have to use a more advanced algorithm. As long as there's no compression though, there should be a mathematical approach to finding the differences and their consistencies.

5. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    SMD files aren't compressed, but aren't easy to parse either. It has a main header, and it's also divided in blocks (mainly to allow splitting), each with its own header. Also, data inside a block (except the header) is interleaved, which means all even bytes come first, then all odd bytes do. To make things worse, the order of odd bytes is reversed, so the last byte comes first. You get the point. It's possible to convert the address (if you're given the SMD file), but not exactly an easy task.

6. Sintendo

Sintendo

I'll whip up a program to convert an address form an SMD ROM to BIN. It shouldn't be too hard.

7. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Doesn't ESEII convert from SMD to Bin?

8. Sintendo

Sintendo

Converting SMD to BIN has been done many times before. What they ask is a program to convert an address in a SMD ROM to an address in a BIN ROM. It's nearly finished BTW.

9. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    Ah, my bad then. :)

10. Sintendo

Sintendo

It's done now. I've done some minor testing and it works as far as I know. Any suggestions on where to upload it?

EDIT: http://rapidshare.com/files/179365243/smdadrconv.rar
    It's a command-line tool. You enter the address in the SMD ROM (hexadecimal), hit enter and it'll spit out where that byte should be in the BIN ROM. The source has been included (yes, it took me this long to write 28 lines of C code, never said I was a good programmer :P).

11. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    28 lines? Considering all the stuff that is in the SMD format, I'd have expected more actually. Unless you skipped some features (e.g. splitting). Meh, downloading =P Now I need the SMD file >_>

12. Sintendo

Sintendo

You don't even need the SMD file, actually. You just enter the address and it'll give you the address for the BIN file.

13. S.N.N.

S.N.N.

Meh. Member
    Ontario, Canada
    Music and hacking
    That's great Sintendo! That will be really useful for converting those addresses.

In the meantime, I've got a .bin version, so I might start playing with it again and attempt to find some more data as well. Should be far more useful now that I am using the correct version. :)

14. Sik

Sik

being an asshole =P
    Odd, I'd swear I need the SMD file. If I recall correctly, blocks are variable sized, not to mention the header data and such =X

15. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    SMD

Apparently, no.

16. Sintendo

Sintendo

Not according to this document. The header is always 0x200 bytes (0x000 - 0x1FF) and every block is 0x4000 bytes (0x2000 for the odd and 0x2000 for the even bytes). Besides, if the blocks/header had a variable size, we would never be able to decode S.N.N.'s document anyway, since we don't know what size the blocks had in S.N.N.'s ROM when he wrote that document.

I've done some testing with two identical ROMs in the two formats (created using one of the many converters out there), and the addresses that the program returns are correct. It is possible that I've made a mistake somewhere though, so I will be doing so more testing soon. If you notice anything off, please do tell me.

17. S.N.N.

S.N.N.

Meh. Member
    Ontario, Canada
    Music and hacking
    I did a couple conversions using your tool (from my document), and they seemed to line up in the .BIN just fine. I'll be messing around with it for a while though, since it seems useful so far.

I was able to make up a small .tbl file and do this, in the meantime, though it's nothing exciting yet.

[​IMG]

I'll get the addresses shortly .. want to play around with it a bit more.

EDIT: In the meantime, I've been trying to pick up on the sound format for this game. I've worked with SNES's N-SPC format quite a bit, and I've notice that this is surprisingly similar.

Here is a very minor change to DDA2's theme (mostly just an octave shift). (sorry for the large WAV file .. wasn't thinking when I exported it). I was wondering if there was some kind of documentation on this floating around. If there is, I would be extremely interested in reading it.

18. Sintendo

Sintendo

I put together a small test to see if my program is working correctly (basicly let it compare the bytes in both the SMD and BIN ROM to see if they are the same). I've tested it with a Sonic 2 ROM (couldn't find a Sonic 3D one :/) and it returned zero errors, which means my address conversion code is fully working as it should. I'll try it again once I get my hands on a Sonic 3D ROM, but it's unlikely that the tool will choke on that. Just posting this so you don't have to worry about the program messing up and returning wrong addresses. =P

19. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    SNN...

Sonic 3D Blast and most other MegaDrive Sonic use SMPS, aka the Sample Module Playback System. There's a guide about it on the wiki, which can be found here.

20. S.N.N.

S.N.N.

Meh. Member
    Ontario, Canada
    Music and hacking
    Thanks a lot roxy. Tweaker mentioned to me yesterday that he already has it all documented, so looks like I'll move on to something else within the ROM .. heh. Maybe tile data or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.