don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. McGuirk

McGuirk

The Egg-Man Cometh. Member
    Welp, I had a pretty decent (IMO) idea for a high-tech factory level with momentum/gravity/magnetism puzzles/gimmicks and so on, and did quite a few concept drawings of potential level objects.

Sadly, I cannot find the power cord for my scanner *crie*

Update to be made in the (hopefully) near future.

2. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    Could you at least consider PC2's attempt to make Tails less cross-eyed?

3. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  4. Random Hero!

Random Hero!

London, UK.
    Sonic 2: Remix Project (Music)
    Those animations seem a bit more fluid then in the game to me.

That's pretty awesome!

5. Polygon Jim

Polygon Jim

Eternal Tech Member
    across town from Hinchy
    All the bitches.
    His running is 8 frames instead of 4.

6. Rokkan

Rokkan

7. Matwek

Matwek

Im not quite sure what it is exactly but the legs look a bit as if hes sat on a red tripod, maybe that could be fixed by making them a bit thicker.
    As for the 'fists up' pose, I quite like it. Might even be worth doing one with bent knees as hes in a sort of boxer pose, although that could be taking the idea too far.

8. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    A quick idea, and I know this could take some time, but again just throwing it out there. Every once in a while (since we aren't living on the limitations of the 68k anymore, although this would be possible on that, too), we could have, say, a 3/4 loop with a spring at the end that would trigger a short, maximum 5-second 3D animation of Sonic bouncing off the spring at the end, going towards the screen (or away from, whatever), the camera angle turning, and him back in 2D, running on the next segment with a new background (not completely different, just what would be to the side that is the back of the second part. An idea somewhat like this has already been put on the Circus Zone thread, where there would be a secret spring on a rollercoaster segment that would launch you into the background.

9. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
  10. synchronizer

synchronizer

Kamon62, I really like it! The only thing that bothers me is that Sonic looks a bit too angry maybe?

11. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    [​IMG]
    *awaits rejection*
    I actually like these quite a bit. It is closer to the Sonic 3K/Chaotix style. If anyones wondering, the third one was made to reflect the Japanese official art, since that's apparently our goal for the sprites now.

12. Dr. Mustache

Dr. Mustache

Likes Sloths Member
    The third one looks the best :v:

13. Rokkan

Rokkan

<!--quoteo(post=259177:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:08 AM:name=Kamon62)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kamon62 @ Dec 23 2008, 07:08 AM) [​IMG]
    I really don't like the way Knuckles is... Feel free to point it out if you spot something(s) that could have been way much better. And I went with two different pairs of arms: His pose from Knuckles Chaotix and S3K or a pose more similar to his Sonic Battle's. I personally prefer the Sonic Battle's, it makes him look, well, more unique. And fits the character, but the vote it's up to you gaise.
    Also C+C
    [/quote]

I like The New sonic, Mixing Sonic 1+2 with the new shadings of Chaotix, But it feels too simplistic and not shaped well to the Sonic 3 standard. Here is a touch up I did featuring all the Sonic 3's best styles. Now it is a mix of everything and it definitely shows a nice detail. It might need more work but I think I have done pretty well keeping shape, nostalgia, style and shading in check.
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]
    The fuck do you think you're doing?
    First of all, the hell are you talking about simplistic? My sprite has more shades than the Sonic 3 sprite and features the same kind of shading level of Sonic 3. If you say that making his spikes more alike those from Sonic's Sonic Spinball sprite (which sucks) giving him a white pixel in his forehead (oh that's a difference!) and giving him light in his eyes (which Sonic 3 sprite doesn't have, it's just his eyes that are small) means giving my pixel-art a "nice detail" and doing "pretty well keeping shape, nostalgia, style and shading in check" then just forget that I ever wrote this.
    Sorry, but people editing my sprites kinda pisses me off for no reason at all, and that's why I try to post calm when replying to edits, but downgrading them saying all that shit just because of minor edits gives me an insane rage. Although there are some things that can be re-used from it, so I re-edited mine, along with Knuckles. Matwek, I didn't really get what you meant, but I think I fixed it:
    [​IMG]

14. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
  15. Rokkan

Rokkan

What happened to "Hey, what about making everything custom? We can do so much better than SEGA, we have so much talented members"
    I do almost everything custom and all that I get are edits to make them look less custom and more like their Sonic 2 or 3 counterparts.

16. <!--quoteo(post=259248:date=Dec 24 2008, 06:07 AM:name=Rave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rave @ Dec 24 2008, 06:07 AM) [​IMG]
    I really don't like the way Knuckles is... Feel free to point it out if you spot something(s) that could have been way much better. And I went with two different pairs of arms: His pose from Knuckles Chaotix and S3K or a pose more similar to his Sonic Battle's. I personally prefer the Sonic Battle's, it makes him look, well, more unique. And fits the character, but the vote it's up to you gaise.
    Also C+C
    [/quote]

I like The New sonic, Mixing Sonic 1+2 with the new shadings of Chaotix, But it feels too simplistic and not shaped well to the Sonic 3 standard. Here is a touch up I did featuring all the Sonic 3's best styles. Now it is a mix of everything and it definitely shows a nice detail. It might need more work but I think I have done pretty well keeping shape, nostalgia, style and shading in check.
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]
    First of all, the hell are you talking about simplistic? My sprite has more shades than the Sonic 3 sprite and features the same kind of shading level of Sonic 3. If you say that making his spikes more alike those from Sonic's Sonic Spinball sprite (which sucks) giving him a white pixel in his forehead (oh that's a difference!) and giving him light in his eyes (which Sonic 3 sprite doesn't have, it's just his eyes that are small) means giving my pixel-art a "nice detail" and doing "pretty well keeping shape, nostalgia, style and shading in check" then just forget that I ever wrote this.
    Sorry, but people editing my sprites kinda pisses me off for no reason at all, and that's why I try to post calm when replying to edits, but downgrading them saying all that shit just because of minor edits gives me an insane rage. Although there are some things that can be re-used from it, so I re-edited mine, along with Knuckles. Matwek, I didn't really get what you meant, but I think I fixed it:
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

....Sorry. :( I Just thought it felt a bit too nostalgic is all. It was just a concept edit. If we are going to complete anything we should all be working on the same image together, instead of having many unused images and ideas rejected because people are too focused on one idea.

17. Rokkan

Rokkan

<!--quoteo(post=259359:date=Dec 23 2008, 07:44 PM:name=Kamon62)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kamon62 @ Dec 23 2008, 07:44 PM) [​IMG]
    Also C+C
    [/quote]

[​IMG]
    [/quote]
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

....Sorry. :( I Just thought it felt a bit too nostalgic is all. It was just a concept edit. If we are going to complete anything we should all be working on the same image together, instead of having many unused images and ideas rejected because people are too focused on one idea.
    [/quote]

Sorry, but as I said earlier, it pisses me off when people edit my sprites, I'm really sorry. I prefer when people point out the mistakes or what could have been done better so that I can edit. I think it's somewhat of an ego problem that I have. Again, sorry for being harsh, I think I kinda got that as an insult to my work, so I ended up writing shit like that.

18. Matwek

Matwek

<!--quoteo(post=259366:date=Dec 23 2008, 10:56 PM:name=Rave)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rave @ Dec 23 2008, 10:56 PM) [​IMG]
    Also C+C
    [/quote]

[​IMG]
    [/quote]
    [​IMG]
    [/quote]

[/quote]

Sorry, but as I said earlier, it pisses me off when people edit my sprites, I'm really sorry. I prefer when people point out the mistakes or what could have been done better so that I can edit. I think it's somewhat of an ego problem that I have. Again, sorry for being harsh, I think I kinda got that as an insult to my work, so I ended up writing shit like that.
    [/quote]

This is supposed to be a community project. Everything I post, not only do I hope gets improved upon but I positively encourage it.
    If we have to wait for people to absorb and react upon feedback given before changes are made thing are going to take a lot longer, I personally would prefer people to make changes themseves as its a much quicker way of getting an idea across (regardless of if its a good idea or a bad one). Such aggressive replys as given above are only going to put off the less active but equally as talented members of the forum.

As for the edits I like the slightly thicker legs, my main concern was to add more 'bulk' to knuckles