don't click here

Main Character Art

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    I just connected, so I saw this new sprite some minutes ago.

My impression?
    Perfect palette and shading, one of the best so far, but there is something weird about the head, but I don't know exactly what. It seems... Fat, yeah, a bit to big, it almost seems Sonic has a larger head than usual (I'll try to explain this better: the area with the spikes seems less large than the area with the face).
    However, the body is perfect.

EDIT: Yeah... MKAmeX is right, his eyes look a bit too big.

2. MKAmeX

MKAmeX

California
    Needlemouse, Sonic Boom, Graphic Design
    Rave, your Sonic's face looks too smashed in. Sonic has a nose that points out. ;P Also, his eyes are too tall... Or maybe it's just me.Also, his left (our right) shoe looks kinda short. Other than that, it's pretty much perfect.

3. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
  4. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Is there a reason for the third spine down to be so thick? It looks out of place -- the three topmost spines are generally protruding from the bulk of the head, and this one looks like it's attached enough to his shoulders that he wouldn't be able to move his head much.

I like the way he appears to be leaning forward, ever ready to sprint. However, his front ear appears a pixel too high, and there is that nose, which protrudes on all the other designs, it looks odd not to here.

5. Rokkan

Rokkan

Oh what the hell, I kept observating the sprites over and over again and I didn't notice the huge nose lol!
    Okay, did a new version, with most of the problems you guys listed fixed, and some arms with hands (but I didn't like the arms much... Well, your call!)
    [​IMG]

6. BlazeHedgehog

BlazeHedgehog

A "Community Enigma"? Oldbie
    I like it, Rave. :psyduck:

7. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    The sprite is good, but some of the things that didn't convinced me are still there. But since this time I'm on my PC, I'll show you what I mean:

(I suck at circles)
    [​IMG]
    I took the liberty of adding a personal edit of your sprite to better show what I mean.

Yellow: Sonic's head seems a little bigger than the spikes. The circled area shows the part of the head which gives this impression. As you see, that black line almost make sonic look as he have less spikes (I'll explain. Sonic has 3 columns made of 2 spikes behind the head, in your sprite however, since the area with the spikes looks flatter than the head, it almost look like that he have 1 column only, made of 3 spikes.) If you compare your sprite to the Sonic 1/2 and the S3K ones you'll see that the spikes look more solid , and connect better with the head. I changed that black line a little, but I didn't removed it because the line is important, since it divides the head from the body.

Green: The right eye seems a little higher than usual. Again, in the other sprites the right eye has the same height (in pixel) than the left eye, but yours was a pixel too high. I changed the right eye a little so that now they have the same height.

Red: Sonic seems... Fat. I already said this the first time you posted that sprite, and I still have this impression, expecially the right foot. However the left foot is not afflicted by the same thing, and so both the right leg and the right foot look bigger than the left one. Also the right shoe had a weird shape, as if it pointed forward. I changed a little the leg and the shoe.

I still think there is something I'm missing from the sprite, but for now tiese are the thing I noticed the most.

8. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    He looks awfully fat. I blame it on that shine on his cheek.
    And the eyes are far too huge as well.

9. Rokkan

Rokkan

<!--quoteo(post=258225:date=Dec 19 2008, 04:26 PM:name=STHX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (STHX @ Dec 19 2008, 04:26 PM) [​IMG]
    I took the liberty of adding a personal edit of your sprite to better show what I mean.

Yellow: Sonic's head seems a little bigger than the spikes. The circled area shows the part of the head which gives this impression. As you see, that black line almost make sonic look as he have less spikes (I'll explain. Sonic has 3 columns made of 2 spikes behind the head, in your sprite however, since the area with the spikes looks flatter than the head, it almost look like that he have 1 column only, made of 3 spikes.) If you compare your sprite to the Sonic 1/2 and the S3K ones you'll see that the spikes look more solid , and connect better with the head. I changed that black line a little, but I didn't removed it because the line is important, since it divides the head from the body.

Green: The right eye seems a little higher than usual. Again, in the other sprites the right eye has the same height (in pixel) than the left eye, but yours was a pixel too high. I changed the right eye a little so that now they have the same height.

Red: Sonic seems... Fat. I already said this the first time you posted that sprite, and I still have this impression, expecially the right foot. However the left foot is not afflicted by the same thing, and so both the right leg and the right foot look bigger than the left one. Also the right shoe had a weird shape, as if it pointed forward. I changed a little the leg and the shoe.

I still think there is something I'm missing from the sprite, but for now tiese are the thing I noticed the most.[/quote]
    I agree with everything, but at the same time you overdid it a little. Okay, all the eyes are 7 pixel tall, but now he looks like he's angry at something, okay, Sonic's sprites you could notice that he had a little of attitude, but now his eyes seems half-closed, while in fact his eyes are wide open at the sprites, so I edited a little bit so that the eyes could still be 7-pixel tall but still give the sensation of wide-open eyes. I edited a little bit the black outline as well, I overdid with it before, but I think it looks better now, and also the shoe looks like it's cut down or squared. Here, my edits of your edits of my edits of my pixel-art:
    [​IMG]
    P.P.A.: He has always been chubby, specially the Sonic 3 sprite.

10. Rokkan

Rokkan

Okay, so I did some fucking Tails
    [​IMG]
    It took me long to make it, but I finally made Tails actually look more like Tails than in the previous sprites! (I guess)
    C+C aprecciated

11. Blanche Hodapp

Blanche Hodapp

*urp* Eternal Queen
    I like the look of the Tails sprite, but he looks a bit cross-eyed to me. Also, his left ear is one pixel taller in your sprite, whereas in previous sprites it was the same height. This gives him one ear bigger than the other. He also looks at though you've made him roughly the same height as Sonic (though I can't tell, as they're not stood next to each other), whereas in previous games there's always been a noticeable difference in height.

Is there any way you could shave a couple of pixels off his height?

12. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    Is Tails pregnant?

13. Metal-Geo

Metal-Geo

Toot toot Member
    I have to agree the shine on Sonic's cheek makes him kind of chubby looking. But if you told me it was a mouth, I would actually believe you as well. :psyduck:

As for Tails, his left ear looks awkward. Either too big, or too dark. But it certainly grabs a lot of attention.
    His posture is also a bit off. I know he's trying to mimic Sonic's posture. (torso forward, proud position, y'know...) But it looks very exhausting to stand like that.

Fucking love the shading on both characters though. <3

14. Rokkan

Rokkan

Sorry, I can't make Tails even smaller, and I tryied, plus, Tails is actually 5 pixels smaller than Sonic, and 8 if you don't count his ears, also, I fixed his back ear, and although Tails' sprites he do have a bit of a belly I edited it a bit so that it wouldn't look big. Anyway, the fixes:
    [​IMG]

15. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
  16. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    By the way, I totally loooove the new sonic sprite, Rave :psyduck:

17. Rokkan

Rokkan

18. nineko

nineko

I am the Holy Cat Tech Member
    italy
    I agree with Rave.

19. synchronizer

synchronizer

I really prefer the Sonic 2 sprite style, but as a compromise, I decided to try this edit:
    [​IMG]
    What are your thoughts?

20. Rokkan

Rokkan

I'm sorry, I thought that our goal was to create a Sonic sprite-sheet.
    Not re-shade one. Which is what it looks like now, a re-shade of the Sonic 2 sprite. He already looks a lot like the Sonic 2 sprite, we don't need more edits to make him look more alike.