don't click here

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. That climbing tree is a great level gimmick - although I do agree with everyone, it would fit in best in the Canadian Zone.

2. <!--quoteo(post=253661:date=Dec 6 2008, 04:36 PM:name=Resel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Resel @ Dec 6 2008, 04:36 PM) [​IMG]

3. Matwek

Matwek

Bit of house keeping, for any one interested I collected together all the concept work for this zone (well all the bits I could find). Hopefully it should help kick start some more work on this zone by providing some inspirtation.

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=1XKAM1CG

4. [​IMG]

Here's an idea. A big ol' snake badnik that hides up in the trees and waits for Sonic to get close. I guess he could be sort of like the spiders in Chemical Plant only he doesn't grab.
    Perhaps the eyes aren't stationary, but pace back and forth in the leaves.

5. STHX

STHX

SEGAAAAAAAAA?!? Member
    The world of Trophies
    Sonic In Mushroom Kingdom
    Weird...
    This Badnick in not bad, but I think it could fit better with the Canadian/Autumn Zone, since that kind of tree seems more fitting with a forest than a tropical beach/island.
    Besides, snakes are more common in forests than beaches.

6. Jayextee

Jayextee

Unpopular Opinions™ Member
    Atro City
    I DONE MAKED GAMES.
    Meta Junglira Zone (Sonic Triple Trouble) boss, much?

This said, a miniaturized version of said boss would be sort of neat.

7. Yeah I was thinking "tropical" like a jungle. For some reason the it didn't occur to look for a rain forest level. I was seriously off my game yesterday. As far as it being like that boss in triple Trouble, I figured this was distinct enough as it acted and looked different.

8. NinjaMan

NinjaMan

<!--quoteo(post=256716:date=Dec 15 2008, 06:03 AM:name=STHX)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (STHX @ Dec 15 2008, 06:03 AM) [​IMG]

9. Sonic Boom

Sonic Boom

<!--quoteo(post=256512:date=Dec 14 2008, 11:14 AM:name=Blue Cheese)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Blue Cheese @ Dec 14 2008, 11:14 AM) [​IMG]

Here's an idea. A big ol' snake badnik that hides up in the trees and waits for Sonic to get close. I guess he could be sort of like the spiders in Chemical Plant only he doesn't grab.
    Perhaps the eyes aren't stationary, but pace back and forth in the leaves.[/quote]
    Crawlton

Been done, though this idea isn't entirely bad. Perhaps something else added to it like having it shoot a laser towards Sonic's direction after sticking its head out to keep it new.

10. Crawlton went at all angles and was slow. I figured this guy'd be real quick and shoot out just straight down. But you know...

11. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Children, Children, don't be scared. Member
    Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    Think there are enough badniks and ideas to start working further?

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, I see the badniks I posted were lost in the other board, I'll see if I can recover them.

13. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    Would it be out of place for me to sketch up a design for this level? I've been having some thoughts lately and believe I can piece in an act. Maybe both.

14. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    Not at all. As Jayextee mentioned before, we welcome all ideas. I'd like to see some new designs so we can eventually agree on a final. I've been doing some sprite work but I'd like to get it all finished before I post it.

15. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    Making a design might be some help to the musicians here.

16. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I imagine it would. I'm not sure how close we're getting with the foreground art and tiles. I have easy access to all graphics in this project old and new and I'd like to do some more art if I knew what design we are shooting for in this zone.

17. Dannyboy

Dannyboy

Toledo, OH
    Level Concepts
    Well alright then. I'll be posting my ideas on here soon. The only reason I haven;t done it yet is because ny internet hasn't been working at home, but expect something in the near future.

18. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    That's cool. I'm doing the same thing actually. I only get a limited amount of time on the net, and worse yet, I have a temporary dial-up connection holding me back at the moment.

19. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    DOUBLE POST :)

I haven't seen much in here lately, seems like we're all busy and it's just passing the holiday season. I'm free now and would like to do some sprite work for this zone to speed up the process and development so to speak. I just have two simple questons before I begin working... what is the official design and art direction that we're aiming for? Some say it's Knuckles Chaotix, is that a final decision?

20. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    You're supposedly the project leader now, right? So shouldn't you decide things like this?

Anyway, when I was working on this I was always trying to get something similar to the art in S3K (just using more colors and tiles). I don't think Sonic CD/Knuckles Chaotix style should be used for this project really. (but...it really doesn't matter how I feel about this if you decide otherwise.)