don't click here

Sonic Jam: Genesis or Saturn Code?

Discussion in 'Engineering & Reverse Engineering' started by Oerg866, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That would make perfect sense I think. Djohe mentioned in the IRC earlier that the code the Sonic Jam games use are actually genesis code.

2. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Then he's full of shit—Sonic Jam's programs were ported over from the original source, not emulated. Genesis code can not natively run on the Saturn, even with heavy modification. It needs to be totally rewritten.

3. OK, then I guess trash plz?

4. Sintendo

Sintendo

Are you sure? The Saturn does have a 68k CPU in it, so maybe it IS possible that they reused at least parts of the code?

5. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    According to Wikipedia, the Saturn contained a 68EC000, and was used primarily as a sound co-processor. It's a stripped down version of the standard 68k, so I'd imagine the code would not work in its entirety if simply copied and pasted over. Not only that, but then another processor would have to be dedicated to sound since the sound processor is being occupied.

I just think it makes far more sense that it was ported over. Nothing at all seems to imply otherwise, anyway...

6. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft

RickRotate'd. Administrator
    USA
    rom-properties
    The Genesis 2 also has a 68EC000. The main differences between the 68EC000 and the 68000 are lower price, smaller package size, switchable 8/16-bit data bus on reset, and no support for the 68881/68882 FPUs. Lack of FPU support isn't a big deal on the MD, since it doesn't have an FPU anyway.

7. Exactly what I wanted to say, cause I wondered why that 68EC000 looked exactly like the CPU of my MD2 lol.

8. Sik

Sik

Sik is pronounced as "seek", not as "sick". Tech Member
    being an asshole =P
    Whatever, I think it was a fact the source code was ported. In fact, probably only the software engine was ported, as hardware-wise it's completely different. For instance, in Sonic 2, the 128x128 tiles are drawn directly instead of 16x16 chunks.

9. Hivebrain

Hivebrain

Administrator
    53.4N, 1.5W
    Github
    The games were definitely ported to SH2. I ran some of the code through a SH2 disassembler a few years ago to check.

10. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Hmm, were the easy and normal modes for each game stored in their own independent files? (I mean, besides the music and sound effects)

If so, it could be interesting to see if their structure is any similar to the old ROMs, and which changes were made for them.

11. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    I think once Lost ported the level layout or something back to the S1 ROM from the S1 in Sonic Jam...

12. Shadow Hog

Shadow Hog

"I'm a superdog!" Member
    I've heard something to that effect, but never actually seen the result. I'd be pretty interested to see it, honestly.

Also, Saturn disassemblies, huh? Maybe we could hack NiGHTS or something :P

13. Stealth

Stealth

Tech Member
    Sonic Mania, HCGE, Sonic Megamix, SonED2, [...]
    Most of the data are stored in separate files, and the majority of them are in the exact same format as in the Genesis version. Some of the most relevant -

Folders-
    /Sonic12 - Sonic 1 and Sonic 2 game files
    /Sonic3K - Sonic 3 and Sonic 3 and Knuckles game files

Suffixes-
    _E - Easy Mode
    _N - Normal Mode
    "Original mode" (no changes from the Genesis) has no name suffix

Extensions-
    SN1 - Sonic 1
    SN2 - Sonic 2
    SK2 - Sonic 2 and Knuckles
    SN3 - Sonic 3
    SN4 - Sonic and Knuckles (Sonic 3 and Knuckles)

Filenames-
    ACTTBL - Level Sprite object layout (all levels)
    RINGACT - Level Ring layout (all levels)

Program-side, there would only be difficulty-level test before loading the data files, and a couple of other places, such as setting the boss hit counter during the object's init. There would really be no level of difficulty in back-porting the difficulty-level changes

14. Sonic 1 Easy mode

15. tech3475

tech3475

I find it weird that Sega did a decent job on Jam but have done a half a***ed job ever since Sonic Mega Collection.

BTW with regards to using the 68k, it depends on how it is wired up and even if the used it, which chip would handle the sound since it controlled the SCSP?

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturn_Custom_Sound_Processor)

16. TmEE

TmEE

Master of OPL3-SA2/3 Tech Member
    Estonia, Rapla City
    T-04YBSC-A !
    You can run your own code on that 68K in Saturn, usually the code you run on it is a sound engine, but nobody forbids you to use that CPU for other tasks... I have no idea how much access that 68K has to the rest of the system... I'll be doing Saturn dev in the next year then I'll find out how things go...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.