don't click here

Sonic CD

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Mobiethian, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sonicteamUSA

sonicteamUSA

usa
    lol, no. The director of Sonic CD was the guy who created sonic himself. Naoto Oshima.

2. Phos

Phos

Going for the high score on whatever that little b Member
  3. Lobotomy

Lobotomy

35% Cognac Banned
    Traverse City
    Project: Matter/Energy
    Hey, at least you get Sonic Unleashed first.

4. Pablo

Pablo

Darn... Where did I put my Sonic CD Beta discs? :) I know I had two...
    But speaking of sound tracks and mash-ups:
    I've created some kind of mix between Sonic Boom and Toot Toot Sonic Warrior...

Listen for your self if you like it: You can do anything Sonic Warrior

On a side note: I think Toot Toot Sonic Warrior is one of the most consistent songs throughout the whole series of sonic games.
    I think I also heard it in Mecha Green Hills Zone and in Sonic Drift Racing on the Game Gear / Master System.
    Can't exactly remember. Or was it some kind of invincibility item tune like in Sonic CD? Any idea?

Cheers,

Pablo

5. Well I know that the tune was in Green Hills Zone on Sonic 2 GG.
    I've GOT be one of the only people in the world that prefers Spencer Nielsen's music. I really liked how the Past music was SO vastly different from the rest of the tunes.
    That said, take away the cd music and the animation what you've got left is more or less Sonic 1.5. The stages seemed thrown together and random. Even the tiles themselves looked really cluttered. It's sort of a oldie Sonic fan blasphemy to not like Sonic CD but I know I've spent more time drawing with the "Little Planet" running or watching the animated parts than I did actually playing it.

6. synchronizer

synchronizer

Somewhere someone said that the invincibility theme from Sonic Adventure included the "toot toot Sonic warrior" part of the song. See if you can hear it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlizGTfTjyg...laynext_from=PL

The speed-up music also has something familiar, like at its end. It is the beginning of "You can do Anything".

7. Pablo

Pablo

Woah... I never ever noticed that! 0_o *amazed*

That's crazy, never noticed :D

Wanna do a list with "Toot Toot Sonic Warrior" "You can do anything" in Sonic games?
    Maybe open up a new topic since we're slightly going OT here :)

Cheers,

Pablo

edit: Happy now? :)

8. P.P.A.

P.P.A.

SONIC 2 SUCKS, SONIC CD FOREVER Member
    Germany
    Sonic MD (Currently: Art for Zone 3)
    THE SONG IS CALLED "SONIC - YOU CAN DO ANYTHING"

9. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
    The past music is unchanged from the original (Japanese) soundtrack, by the way. Probably because they couldn't be bothered making non-CD audio songs.

10. Diablohead

Diablohead

Indie dev Oldbie
    Near London
    games
    What was the reason for the past zones having non cd audio? space or just older music formats they somehow kept for the past when adding in cd music?

11. Maxd

Maxd

Alabama
    Mixin'
    Maybe it's just showing the difference in technology between our past and future? :)

12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    That's what I've always thought, honestly...

13. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I used to think that too. It's also possible that another set of level music to play during the past would have been too much data to store within the 700MB data limit; after all, that's 7 more tracks of about 1:30 of length! The PC version of Sonic CD fit them all one one disc, but it also used the US soundtrack and had an extra 100MB to work with, so who knows... it could go either way, really.

I do think it's interesting how the past music gives off the impression that it's more atmospherically appropriate for the past timezones, though. Indeed, the lower quality samples, simpler melodies, and ability to properly loop tracks give them a "primitive" sort of feel that ends up being more appropriate for representing the past than CD audio could have been. I guess it's not really possible to say for sure why the past music was PCM, but one thing is for sure—it ended up working out well that way! ;)

14. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    Yeah, for one thing SoA couldn't fiddle with it as easily as the rest of the soundtrack =P

15. Epsilonsama

Epsilonsama

THE FASTEST TAPE ALIVE! Member
    Earth
    It would have been awesome if the american soundtrack had a past theme, I always wondered how Spencer Nilsen Tracks would have sounded in PCM, but
    SOA was out of time so they just replace the Red Book Audio.

16. Cooljerk

Cooljerk

NotEqual Tech, Inc - VR & Game Dev Oldbie
    Speaking of ol' Spencer, any of you guys checked out the Ecco I and II or Batman Returns soundtracks? Sega CD versions of course. If you dig his music, you owe it to yourself to listen to these soundtracks. Especially Ecco I and II (which have some of the best soundtracks I've ever heard, honest).

Anyone know why Sega stopped using him after only 4 games?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.