don't click here

Robotnik vs. Eggman

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Skywatcher, Jul 11, 2008.

Which name do you prefer/use/etc.?

1. It's Dr. Robotnik, silleh. You needs an evil name to be evil. Yeesh!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nah, it's Dr. Eggman. He looks like an egg for cripes sake!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Who ACTUALLY cares?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shade

Shade

This topic is retarded and I can't believe people are still discussing this. Overlord nailed it about 12 pages ago.

Speaking of which:

Retroactively funny.

2. Overlord

Overlord

Now playable in Smash Bros Ultimate Moderator
    Long-term happiness
    That's actually hilarious. XD

3. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    You're all wrong, his name is Ovi Kintobor :(

4. FinalBeyond

FinalBeyond

I think a manfunctioning R.O.C.C., a time travelling Chaotix crew and a particularly rotten egg suggest otherwise. :p

5. Vegeta 20XX

Vegeta 20XX

Resident Fuckhead Member
    For the record, I don't like Sonic 2 all that much. People seem to think it's the best damn Sonic game on Earth because "OMG Hidden Palace" and all of the betas, ignoring the technologically superior Sonic 3/& Knuckles and Sonic CD. Sonic 2 is more popular because of it's publicity and it's leaked betas.

And I agree with The Segan, Dr. Robotnnik made Robotnik famous, Dr. Eggman screwed him and Sega over.

6. Vaiz

Vaiz

I'm still here for some reason! Member
    Internet.
    IMO it's a name and has no baring on the success of a franchise or company. If they changed Sonic's name, it would be a different story, but in this case? Nah.

7. Yeah, saying that the shift in the US from exclusively calling him "Dr. Robotnik" to primarily calling him "Dr. Eggman" caused Sega's downfall is pretty much retarded.

Sega's downfall was caused by many things, from over-priced add-ons that lead to a loss in the 16-bit era to no main-continuity games on the Saturn to poor marketing to Shenmue [It's a fucking amazing game, I'll give you that much... but when you compare production costs to returns...] to... well, you get the idea.

In summation: Dr. [Eggman|Robotnik] didn't screw Sega. Sega screwed Sega.

8. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
    I never implied that at all, that's completely ridiculous. I'm just saying that the decision was made by the same people who made many of the poor decisions that led to Sega's downfall (greenlighting the 32X, killing Sonic X-Treme, laying off US and EU employes, etc.). Just one of the many attempts that Sega of Japan's leadership made to restrain SOA. They had no consideration as to how stupid or cool the name sounded over here in the US, it was purely company politics manifesting itself in just one of the many ways that it brought themselves down. It wasn't the cancer, it was just one of the symptoms.

9. Vegeta 20XX

Vegeta 20XX

Resident Fuckhead Member
    Sorry, I interpreted the post wrong. Of course, if you spread your resources on a bajillion consoles at once (Genesis/Mega Drive, 32X, Mega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast), you're going to fuck yourself over. I really need to be more clear with my posts.

10. WiteoutKing

WiteoutKing

The artist formerly known as WiteoutKing Member
    Worcester, MA
    Two-Bit Pictures and The D-Pad
    I might be totally loopy, but I vaguely recall that in one game (SA1?) even in Japanese he was referred to as Robotnik, with Eggman being the nickname. At the VERY least, it was established in that game (and again in SA2, as the grandson of Gerald Robotnik) that his name is Dr. Ivo Robotnik, with the nickname (credited to Sonic) of "Eggman".

11. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    You're not loopy at all. This is the truth yet we're STILL managing to drag a topic out of it.

12. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    This was because, as I understand it, prior to the Sonic Adventure games he was "Eggman" in Japan and "Robonik" in America, and Sonic Adventure was supposed to unify the names together.

He was still Eggman first. :(

13. Overlord

Overlord

Long-term happiness
    Actually the game was released in NA first, by that logic he's Robotnik.

His name is Robotnik, his nickname is Eggman.

BOTH ARE VALID.

How many more times does it have to be thrashed out, really? =P

14. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    I meant he was still Eggman first because Sonic The Hedgehog was released in Japan first.

But you're right, both names ARE valid.

"He lived and caused much trouble in Japan as Eggman, but had to flee country and change name. He came to America and took on the name Robotnik."

There, I just came up with a great solution to this problem.

15. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    Did I misread what you just said? Games don't ALWAYS come out in Japan first.

16. The Segan

The Segan

RIP 1991-1998 Member
    That's great and all, but this is an opinion-based thread. The question was never "which name is right", which is a question we all knew the answer to, and which you've made quite obvious almost a dozen times, but rather "which name do you prefer/use?", and hopefully why you think so.

It's my personal opinion that this ten year experiment has been a failure, as most gamers aren't even aware of, or refuse to accept the emphasis on "Eggman". The status quo should be restored, Robotnik should be retained in North America and Europe, and Eggman in Japan. Hopefully you have a preference too.

17. DeanSatan

DeanSatan

SF CA
    getting paid
    I ? this thread.

18. SeanieB

SeanieB

Chief Server Monkey Administrator
    San Diego, CA
    Fixing Sonic Retro
  19. Malgra

Malgra

Studium Member
    Robotnik. Always has been and always will be to me.

20. PorpoiseMuffins

PorpoiseMuffins

Saturday Morning Sonic
    Robotnik, please :v:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.