don't click here

Zone 02 : "Circus Zone"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Galaxia

Galaxia

Manchester, England
    degloving infants
    It isn't a bad start, but it looks way too bright and plastic, in terms of colour.

2. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    I kinda had the whole "circus" theme in my head and thought tacky clown colors. Feel free to change the colors around to your liking and put your name in the credits!

3. Ollie

Ollie

DIGGY DIGGY HOLE Member
    I think a nice light pale green would fit the Face so well.

4. PC2

PC2

GenMobile > 3DS Member
    Various Artwork & Music, :smug:
    I think I'm finally getting the hang of this S3K-style badnik thing:
    [​IMG]--->[​IMG]
    Obviously still very WIP. Feel free to expand upon it.

5. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I helped expand on PC2's sprite edits.

[​IMG]

I thought the Badnik's previous colors clashed too much. I realize it's a circus zone, but I thought these new colors worked better, after looking at the colors we're using for the tiles and background, so I think this purple and red palette will look nicer.

I also thought yellow eyes worked better for this guy; white eyes just make this Badnik seem too humanoid and not robotic enough. Pale gray also seemed to suit this guy instead of blue; since he's clown Badnik, he should have a pale color on him. I also changed the bag to a canister to further the mechanical theme associated with the Badniks.

6. bookman the stinky

bookman the stinky

literal trash Member
    the dong
    find motivation
    Sweet Jesus! That looks great Blue Emerald. I'm pretty sure the idea was a canister-type thing all along, but you made it look more metallic! Where's the cannon though?

7. Zenor

Zenor

flip the chessboard over Member
    You guys aren't keeping a proper lightsource, making some shapes look odd. I also recommend some hue shifting in some colors.

And here are my edits:
    [​IMG]

But I really don't like some colors used in this badnik. I mean, they don't fit together.

8. Blue Emerald

Blue Emerald

Teleportation, yeah! Member
    TBD
    I guess we could make the purples more bluish.

Also, I never said anything about a cannon. I said canister: a can-like container.

Otherwise, thanks for editing those red lights, Zenor. I was aiming for an orange glow to begin with, but couldn't get it right.

9. Afti

Afti

ORIGINAL MACHINE Member
    [​IMG]

Crappy mockup to demonstrate a potential gimmick.

Grab a balloon, and Sonic will rise up slowly. You can control its flight, but once you touch anything...

Pop! Sonic plummets to the ground.

10. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    Yes, I would definitely see this kind of object in a MD Sonic game

11. roxahris

roxahris

Everyone's a hypocrite. Take my word for it. Member
    Doing anything at all
  12. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Looks good but, shouldn't it be based on an animal?

13. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    ...what about the Sonic 3 Toxomister, say?

14. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Sonic & Knuckles' Toximister isn't based on an animal. Neither is Sonic 2's Spiny, Grounder, Spiker (may be based on a spider), Sol, or Nebula. Or Sonic 3's Bloominator, Turbo Spiker (may be based on a snail or some other insect), Blastoid (may be based on some sort of shellfish), Tunnelbot, Spiker, Bubbles (may be based on a blowfish like Pointdexter), Blastoid, Star Pointer, Orbinaut, or Corkey. OR Sonic & Knuckles' Mushmeanie, Blaster (may be based on a beetle of some sort), Eggrobo, Chainspike, or Spikebonker.

Also, why not some sort of Robot that looks like a magician that fires little laser bolts from the hat?

We could even use something like that in Rainforest Ruins or better yet as a parallel in "Underground": A sort of Sagebot that fires the same thing from it's staff.

Edit: D'OH! For some reason I was thinking THIS was Zone 4a. Alright, so using it in Underground would not be a parallel to the one in Circus Zone. I must re-read the level map.

15. DimensionWarped

DimensionWarped

Erinaceous! Oldbie
    I'm pretty sure Grounder is based on the mole. The giveaway is in the mouth shape. In any event, there is no doubt that the majority of classical Sonic enemies have some basis in animals, but yeah, there are plenty of exceptions.

<!--quoteo(post=248471:date=Nov 21 2008, 02:32 AM:name=Insanity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Insanity @ Nov 21 2008, 02:32 AM) [​IMG]

Crappy mockup to demonstrate a potential gimmick.

Grab a balloon, and Sonic will rise up slowly. You can control its flight, but once you touch anything...

Pop! Sonic plummets to the ground.[/quote]

Sounds a lot like my bubble gimmick from the Nexus 07 demo. This control anything like it?
    http://www.soundmage.com/bluelazor/SonicNexus07.zip

16. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    ...Most of those are indeed based on animals or plants, be it spiders, moles, sea urchins, anemones, etc.

Except stuff like the mid-bosses or, of course, the Eggrobo.

17. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    Yeah, I listed the ones based on plants because they aren't based on animals.

18. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
    Okay, so animals and plants. The new badnik isn't either of those, anyway.

It could be easily edited to look like a penguin or something.

19. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
    But then again remember Spiny, Spiker (S3), Sol, Star Pointer, and Orbinaut. I hardly think any of them are based on animals.

Or plants.