don't click here

Zone 01 : "The Mandatory Green Level"

Discussion in 'Project: Sonic Retro (Archive)' started by Retro_Stew, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Thundertimi

Thundertimi

Sonic Retro (Artwork team)
    And again...

Let's think about name later.
    Right now we need to do level art.

2. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
    I did some more work on the plants that I made for this zone:

OLD

[​IMG]

NEW

[​IMG]

What do you think?

3. Aquifer

Aquifer

I've been looking around this forum for a while now, and I thought of this really neat concept for the Tropical Zone.
    [​IMG]

Of course, the layout would be totally different. I'm just showing the general concept. :v:

4. Um... YES!

That looks great! I really like the way it looks, even if it is a crude mock up.

5. Rika Chou

Rika Chou

Tech Member
    [​IMG]

Maybe we can use a bridge like this... or not. I'm not sure if I like how it turned out. It looked better in my head.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Yeah, I'm not really feeling it. The log bridge is a Sonic niche, really, so it'd make sense to build upon that. Good effort, though. :)

7. Icewarrior

Icewarrior

I'm a member of S.T.A.R.S !!11!!!1!! Member
  8. Matwek

Matwek

9. Retro_Stew

Retro_Stew

French Twitch Gamer Member
    France
    Twitch channel
    [​IMG]

I love that "Hydrocity"/"Chemical Plant" concept. Very Sonicesque :)

10. Dan Genesis

Dan Genesis

As it was predicted. Plus, this is like some cute Member
    Top Secret. Bitch.
    KuroKomix LPs and Blog.
  11. Phoenix

Phoenix

Has really been far even as decided to use even go Member
    <!--quoteo(post=245850:date=Nov 15 2008, 09:24 AM:name=synchronizer)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (synchronizer @ Nov 15 2008, 09:24 AM) [​IMG][/quote]

Well, it looks too metallic for the tropical feel. It should be like before, but with moss on two, three, maybe four logs. Not on every one.

<!--quoteo(post=245943:date=Nov 15 2008, 12:57 PM:name=Matwek)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Matwek @ Nov 15 2008, 12:57 PM)
    [​IMG]

NEW

[​IMG]

What do you think?[/quote]

Not to go on the "Waterfall" theme again, but those plants look a lot like the plants on M.C. Escher's Waterfall print.
    EDIT: Okay, maybe not, but it's the same style.
    [​IMG]

<!--quoteo(post=247523:date=Nov 18 2008, 07:24 PM:name=A Yoshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (A Yoshi @ Nov 18 2008, 07:24 PM)
    [​IMG]

Of course, the layout would be totally different. I'm just showing the general concept. :([/quote]
    Good concept, and I love the loop design. If that's from earlier in the topic, I must've missed something. ;)

I don't think the rocks in the background are a problem. However, the water does need some work. It's too calm. There should be some agitation, at least where the waterfalls come in. And if we have Robotnik's airship launching as a cutscene for between acts, then we need the water to go out as the ship moves upwards.

By the way, just restating my idea for seperate levels for seperate characters. You would play Tropical Zone at the start, then for the next level, whatever it would be, you would play as, say, Tails, all leading up to them meeting up, Sonic just following Robotnik like always, Tails in the Tornado combatting the airship's forces, and Knuckles trying to get the Master Emerald back from Fang, each with different gameplay, and never one in the same level in the main story(?) mode.

12. Rokkan

Rokkan

13. ICEknight

ICEknight

Researcher Researcher
  14. Mobiethian

Mobiethian

Oldbie
  15. Phoenix

Phoenix

I posted this in the title cards thread a while ago, but it seems people are ignoring it. Now, it IS relevant since the title card is made specifically for the level:
    [​IMG]
    Should there just be a palm tree watermark on the basic instead, or is it okay the way it is?

16. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    I thought the original style for those title cards was the best, actually. The sand doesn't really jive with me as well -- even a better version I can't see not clashing.

17. Phoenix

Phoenix

Well...
    Good point, I guess. I kind of feel that I can't let my creation die, but oh well. I might use it in another game. But anyways, you're right, this doesn't go with the color scheme of the level.

OKAY THEN: Now for going back on topic completely. I said that I thought BJCharles' plants looked like the plants in Escher's waterfall, which I then noticed were far from them. But I thought of something else: Maybe some plants could made for this level (or more likely, Rainforest Ruins zone) that could be based on them.

18. I personally think it would be nice if the second act was a bit more sky oriented.

So basically the first act fills the classic tropical island cliche but near the end of the first act there is noticably less foliage littered about.

One miniboss later and you're on to act two. There is significantly less grass in this act, and the pallette is somewhat warmer looking than act 1 (since the next stage, the circus zone, uses alot of "hot colours). Although you are still mostly running right for this act, you are also moving upwards alot of the time, in a diagonal direction. A new stage gimmick, a hot air balloon, could also be implemented in this act.

Nearer the end of the act, you'd see more signs of civilization, such as fences and lamposts, even the odd helium balloon floating by in the background (presumably having gone astray from the Circus zone) you'd run up a steep slope to the very peak of the zone, poking though the clouds, where you fight Robotnik. Afterwards the peak crumbles, and you fall to Circus zone as the sky shifts to a dusky palette.

19. Phoenix

Phoenix

I was thinking Act 2 could be more sky-based as well, but I had a more metallic idea come to mind, with floating and falling metal platforms, like debris from the new airship that Eggman launched at that area, which would make sense with the abrupt lack of foliage. It could either be the launch site, or the crash site of the Death Egg, and the part of the ship that looked like Robotnik's face would be sticking out of the water in the background. It had to fall somewhere, right?