don't click here

Sonic 3D Blast PC Patch?

Discussion in 'General Sonic Discussion' started by Baby Ghost, Nov 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baby Ghost

Baby Ghost

Put Tails in every game! Member
    I'm not sure if people use these forums to ask questions like this, or if this question has been asked before, but I have a copy of the Expert Software PC port of Sonic 3D Blast, which is stated to be compatible with Windows 95 and 98. The problem is that it does not work on Windows XP or Vista, even when run in Compatibility Mode and as an admin. I remember that there was a patch released to make Sonic & Knuckles Collection work on XP (and Vista, I've tried) so was there ever one released for Sonic 3D? I really want to play it...

2. I use the Xploder port, can't say I've heard of this one. If nobody else can find it for you, get Xploder (if possible).

What do you mean, the Sonic and Knuckles Collection needs a patch? I've got both an XP and a Vista, and it works just fine!!

3. He means the patch to make it playable on machines with refresh rates faster than 60Hz, which is needed on Windows 95 too, if you are running it on such a rate. The unpatched game it self basically, even under Windows Vista, runs fine, but waaaay too fast .

That said, the Class Release of Sonic 3D for PC runs fine here. Have you tried toying with Windows Application Compatibility Toolkit?

4. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    I remember this "patch." If I recall correctly, there's a parameter in the .ini file which locks the FPS to 60 whilst playing.

You can download it here, from Empire's official support website. If you take a look at the .ini file after applying the patch, you'll be able to see exactly which parameter gets changed. ;)

5. Baby Ghost

Baby Ghost

I have the Sonic & Knuckles patch, but I'm looking for a way to get Sonic 3D Blast to work. I can't tell you exactly what happens when I try to play it, because my DVD/CD drive is unplugged (so I have access to my second internal hard drive) but when I plug it back in I'll tell you.

6. Tweaker

Tweaker

Banned
    Well, what I was suggesting was trying something similar—to apply the .ini parameters from the Sonic & Knuckles collection patch to the Sonic 3D .ini. Since the port was made by the same company (iirc), it's likely that some variables may match.

The version I have of the Sonic 3D PC port doesn't have any speed issues, so I've never experienced these problems. I figure trying what I suggested is better than nothing, though.

7. Baby Ghost

Baby Ghost

I plugged in the DVD/CD drive and the problem is that the game doesn't play at all. The screen goes black as it starts up, then it immediately closes.

8. Thorn

Thorn

Tech Member
    Home
    Sonic 2 Retro Remix
    I've got a Vista machine and it's working fine even when not in Compatibility mode. I can't tell from what you're saying, but if it's failing when CD Autoplay kicks in, it might be because Expert Software's Sonic games like to show a short movie full-screen when you put the CD in, along the lines of "flashy effect, flashy effect, Expert Software logo". Once or twice on my machine the movie was a problem, not the game. Try disabling autoplay and see if you can't get into the game manually.

9. Yes, the expert movie was always a problem for me too when installing a copy of S&K Collection on an old Pentium.

If I didn't have autorun enabled, it worked fine.

10. Ocrilio

Ocrilio

King of unspellable screennames 15 years running. Member
    Sonic Adventure: Grounded
    What a coincidence. This happens to me as well.

I gave up on it. =P

11. Mr. Ksoft

Mr. Ksoft

Weird. I have an old Gateway OEM copy of Sonic 3D Blast (which for the reference has no logos for Expert Software or anything) that came with my old Pentium 2 box and it has never had problems running on any computer I've tried, from the P2 in question up to about seven different Windows XP machines and one with Vista. I wonder if it's special?

12. Bibin

Bibin

DON'T LET THE SUN LAUGH AT YOU. Member
    New York City
    Ghost in the Machine
    My copy of Sonic 3D Blast for PC never had the speed issues, but S3K did; I thought only S3K's bad emulator had refresh rate issues when fullscreen, but since S3DB was a full port, it did not suffer such an issue.

13. Yuzu

Yuzu

If you guys want, I'll upload the Xploder version of Sonic 3D Blast if you need it. I actually have it on me, in THIS room.

14. Chris Highwind

Chris Highwind

Statesville, NC
    Slacking
    Yes, please. I finally have a working charger for my personal laptop, so I can download it now.

15. I would say something about copyright, but the game cost me £2, so it's nothing big.

Actually, that does happen to me, but it fixes if I put it full screen. Xploder will be flawless though, IIRC.

16. Yuzu

Yuzu

Turning the disc into an ISO right now.

17. Nibble

Nibble

Oldbie
    It would actually be nice to have a proper rip of S3D PC, since the one on SonAR has no music or video cutscenes.

For CD audio, doesn't it need to be a BIN/CUE rip, since ISO won't capture that? :S

Edit: omg 100th post. Didn't see it coming D:

18. Yuzu

Yuzu

Can anyone get me a decent program to rip at bin/cue?

I'm trying imgburn, but it looks like all it's going to do is rip at bin.

EDIT: ImgBurn keeps on failing at 17%

Reason: L-EC Uncorrectable Error.

Am I screwed?

19. muteKi

muteKi

Fuck it Member
    ISO/WAV/CUE rips can also do that too, though.

20. Yuzu

Yuzu

Going to try ripping it tomorrow, I don't have enough time today and I'm not even sure if I'll succeed in ripping it to any format.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.